You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Residual Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Residual Haunting

 

In the spring of 1965 my family moved to a tract house in a subdivision that once had been part of an estate. I do not recall how soon after we moved that I started seeing what looked like a man's foot in a boot, with the pants leg going down over the heal. This appeared in front of the TV as I as laying on the floor one night. At first it scared me, but I never said anything to my mom or stepfather.

Not long afterwards I began seeing the swirl of a long skirt in a yellow calico fabric in the hallway leading to the bathroom. It was if a woman was doing something. I always felt like she was cooking, and her movements made the skirt of her dress move. No one else said anything about seeing these two things and I saw them so often it was routine and never bothersome.

I always had the feeling our home was built on the site of a log cabin from long ago and what I was seeing were moments from the owners' lives. Except for that first time I was never afraid and as long as I lived in that house I saw them. My step-niece lives there now and I have no idea if she has ever witnessed them or not.

It seems I have been in tune with things beyond this life since I was a child, and I have always just taken them in stride, just the way it is for me. I have seen and experienced things since the age of ten. Some visual, some auditory and a few ESP things that have gone beyond what everyone has happen from time to time. I always have felt like it is due to my Scottish and Irish ancestry.

As I travel on in this life I try to keep an open mind to the fact that there are things which happen that "logic" cannot explain away.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dunsu47, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-16)
I've only been to LaGrange once forv m y grandmothers 70th birthday. The 1st floor would be as you expext kitchen bar & dining room. Yes there is still a musket ball hole in the wall. The second floor was for private dining. The rooms were a pretty good size. I went to Sagamore Hill once when I was a kid and once with one of my kids. That trip was cut short because the A.C. Was broken and the kids got so biotchy we had to picnic on the lawn which was nice. I never got to go to Walt Whitman's Estate or Willim Floyd's Estate. Montauk Point has always been my favorite. We used to go to the wineries on the North Shore but have found that Pa. Has better wineries.
Lisa
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
That is really interesting Red,
I will have to look that up, can you picture in your mind what these places looked like at that time.
We had two down graded storms (hurricanes) hit at this time 2011 on our land. It washed out acres of rich dirt, at total of measured rain in a seven day time frame was 24 inches. We all joked as the river flows in your direction, the dirt ended up in the Long Island Sound. Not enough to help slow down erosion though I guess.
Nature is evolving of that I am certain.
My best,
Jan
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Jan
Yes it was like a stage coach stop. In fact the place that they put the coaches and horses is now a garage.
I don't remember the exact reason he was shot at but I believe it was an assassination attempt. Muskets were not terribly accurate especially pistols. But as I said that is just lore, it could have been someone else who was shot at, but the bulllet (musket) hole was left there for all this time. When the man renovated he just hung a picture over it. The name of the weigh station was named the La Grange Inne on the corner of Montauk Highway and Higbie Lane. The Higbie and Udall families were the first families to make a North South road on Long Island. There are a lot of historical landmarks on Long Island. Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelts home) William Floyd's Estate in Mastiic Beach, Walt Whitman's Estates in Huntinton Station, and of course the Montauak Lighthouse which was commisioned by George Washington. Orginally it was about a mile away from a cliff but is now about a qauarter of a mile from said cliff because of erosion but some brave souls planted plants on the cliff that slow the erosion so the light house doesn't fall into the ocean. Yeah I know TMI but I just wanted to just to give you a little history of my 19X120 mile Island excluding erosion. If it weren't for the Fire Island Sea Shore there would be more erosion and Sandy did a number on that,
Regards
Red
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Hi again RedWolf, I forgot to mention that George had slept in several places along Rte. 9 in MA also, so it is claimed. The Brookfield Inn was one of them. Our friends spent the last 25 years restoring that building to period and then opening it again as a B&B. I believe, as it is recorded he spent several stops there in route to Boston.
I have a question, why was he shot at, or what was that story, it is interesting. He also was known to have not slept alone also, while Martha was left in VA.
Have a great day!
Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Good and Great Morning to you Red,
You are right and that crossed my mind as I wrote it. There could be several reasons why a woman would do kitchen duties and be in Sunday dress.
By weigh station did you also mean stage coach stop? My Family ran a Stage Stop locally, where the horses would be changed or guests rested over night and were fed. All gone and buried under before my Dad's time. The Notee Post Hotel.
I guess this author will not participate, so we will not see responses. Oh well
Jan
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
msforgetmenott,
I agree with everything you say, except for one thing. When there was going to be a barn dance or Sunday social the woman would throw on her finery and a heavy apron on to finish baking or cooking. This way the food would not be too cold nor to hot to eat when the time came to eat it. Or another perspective would be that if her husband owned a weigh station (sort of a hotel,restaurant) she would be forced to cook and serve the food and she would have to look good all of the time, While the husband would usually tend bar or greet guests.
The only reason I bring up a weigh station is the town I grew up in had the last remaining weigh stations on Long Island. At one point not too log ago the owner wanted to renovate this historic landmark. He got the okay to renovate but he added on too
Much and made it look too much like a modern restaurant and the town told him to put it back to the way it looked or they would grant the historic society ownership. The moron even tried to cover a bullet hole that town legend said someone tried to kill George Washington. Although George WAS there on several occasions there is no proof somebody tried to kill him there. The guy who had to restore the weigh station almost went bankrupt and had to take on partners
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Hi there dunsu,
I found your well written story interesting, we all feel the past around us, yet you have seen it, quietly with-in your home.
In an gentle and harmless way.
If you could remember the boot, it's style and color. Also the type of heel it had. Was it well used or shiny. Was there stitchery.
This and the color of pant as well as the material would perhaps bring to light to your mystery. Your State is filled with later history, than some. It help could pin down a timeframe.
Also did the dress and boot seem higher than the current flooring or did the step seem right on your flooring.
It might have been unusual for a woman to be cooking in a yellow dress, colors were often saved for best, drab was more common for working. The material would also be a factor.
Thanks for sharing.
Jan
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
dunsu, I can't help but wonder if you did a bit of digging if you could come up with support for your log cabin theory. Then again, it could have easily been part of a wagon route, or a soddy. What you saw really does sound residual.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
helpourfamily: There's no need to get hostile. And even though I don't owe you an explanation I'm going to give you one anyway.

1. The moderators/editors of this site are volunteers. We have families, children, grandchildren, jobs and most importantly: lives.

2. There are guidelines that we expect all members to follow. We're not dictators, but we've worked very hard to bring this site to the point it is now.

3. The submissions page closes for the weekend. It always has, and always will. Sometimes, it is closed even longer than a few days. Sometimes we just need a damn break.

4. We have a very extensive membership and a lot of experienced posters who are more than willing to help in any way we can, but we are not going to turn another person's comments thread into one about someone else. It's not fair to the original poster. Surely you understand this logic?

That's all that's going to be said about YOUR experience on this or any other thread. Please respect our guidelines and membership.

This comment from helpourfamily is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
helpourfamily - I don't mean to sound insensitive or that I don't care, but we discourage members posting their experiences on other member's stories for several reasons. One is because it is rude. Another is it takes attention away from the original story which, again, is rude. And a third reason is because neither the author of the original story nor the person who adds their own personal story in the comments section asking for help are going to get the help/advice that they deserve. These are reasons I have deleted your comments (story).

Please take the time to read our guidelines, both the Comments Guidelines and the Submission Guidelines. And if you still feel this experience meets our guidelines, submit it when the page reopens on Monday. If, however, you submit it and it doesn't meet our guidelines, it will be rejected and returned to you.

Please read the guidelines carefully.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Dunsu47--Your account is a very interesting one and does sound like a residual type of occurrence, especially as you saw these two fragments of a woman and a man over and over again doing the same things.

If you think your step-niece wouldn't be alarmed by your earlier experiences in her house you really should ask her if she has seen anything similar. It would be fascinating if she has!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: