You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Little White Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Little White Dog

 

Before I start my story I just want to mention that I had not stated in my previous stories that I had seen other ghostly sightings other then what my sister and I experienced with my mom in our old house. However, my new story will go back in time to when I was a little girl.

Many years ago, just before my parents divorced, we were living in Newcastle South Africa, I would have been 3 years old. My dad used to travel most of the time as he was employed in a coastal city which is roughly 380 km's from where we were living.

We lived in a little cottage on the property of my dad's family. The property consisted of a main house which had 4 bedrooms; a cottage which had two bedrooms; and another cottage with one bedroom. We stayed in the 1 bedroom cottage. Since my dad was always away, I used to sleep next to my mom.

Every night I would wake up to see and hear a little white dog barking at the side of the bed. (I know I was 3 but I can remember it as if it was yesterday.) This used to wake my mom and I up and she used to insist that there was no dog there. But every night, it would be the same thing. Just to mention we did not have any dogs. (I even named it "Sheep dog" - Just googled and it actually looked like a Catalan Sheep dog, maybe smaller and full white)

When my dad was home, he also said there is no dog there and I'm just being afraid of nothing. I was a little kid and I was imagining things.

I am South African Indian and as little kids our parents give us tiny knifes (they aren't sharp) that are pinned to us to keep away evil spirits, so mum said when you get scared just remember you have your knife, nothing can harm you. I don't think that helped much and I eventually became really scared and a nuisance to my parents that mum figured she must do something, so she started praying and lighting incense every night. With this I stopped seeing the little dog, and over time I forgot about it.

Back to present day, I now live in Ballito South Africa with my husband in a two bedroom apartment. A few nights ago my husband and I were asleep when I woke up at 1:22 am to what sounded like a bell jingling. I woke up to see this little white dog just standing on the side of the bed looking up at me as if it wanted to play.

I just looked at it, not scared but more in disbelief, turned to wake my husband up and looked back and it was gone. Told my husband the story, he says I was just dreaming; however, I know I was wide awake since I looked at the time as I woke up.

Any thoughts on this?

Other hauntings by dido

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dido, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
It could be a good spirit or a bad one. My grandfather told us of a story whereby he also saw a white dog in his youth, he was going home and spotted the dog, he got sick after that. By the way I'm also from SA durban as well.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-09-18)
Hi, Dido... I am agree with Lady-glow and I think there could be some link between you and the dog may be in previous birth... Not an expert, just a thought
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-09-17)
dido: it is hard (for me) to explain in simple words all about animal guides, but, personally, I find the info in the following link to be simple and easy to understand:
Http://psychiclibrary.com/beyondBooks/animal-spirit-guides/

I hope it helps!

😊
dido (5 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
Hi everyone,.

Lady-glow: Thank you for the comment. I don't know of any symbolism within my culture.
Yes it was the same dog that I used to see as a girl.
What purpose would an animal guide serve? I really hope I see it again tho.

LoveOfAbundance, RedWolf & Dreamer01: Thanks for your comments. Did not feel any fear when I saw this little dog. Just felt shocked and a bit happy. I love dogs.
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-16)
hi dido,

I enjoyed your unusual story.
If nothing bad has happened then I think
The dog is harmless.
I like the idea of animal guide by lady-glow.
The part of your story that really jumped out at me is that you were woken up by a bell ringing. Straight away I had a flash back and instantly realised the same thing happened to me not that long ago. A ringing bell woke me, why, I do not know. 😊 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-16)
I agree with LoveOfAbundance. I don't think you have anything to fear.
I also have the same questios as lady-glow.
I am wondering if you have always wanted a dog? If so this little white dog
May be the type that you will eventually get.
Red
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-16)
I think the dog has positive energy. I personally think you have nothing to fear.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-09-16)
Interesting story.
Do dogs have any symbolism within the folklore and beliefs of your ancestors?

Was the dog you saw recently the same one you used to see like a little girl? -It could be your animal guide.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: