You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Maybe It's Family

Real Ghost Stories

Maybe It's Family

 

I am a woman in my 30's now but story starts back when I was 12 years old. My mom was a single mom to 3 kids... Me and my 2 younger brothers. My mom sacrificed a lot for her kids, so she gave the 3 of us the 3 bedrooms and she slept on the couch.

One night after we all went to bed, I remembered I needed to tell my mom something so I got out of bed and walked to the living room. I started talking to her and she told me to turn on the light so I went to do it and when I touched the light switch, a hand touched the top of my hand. It wasn't my hand just bumping something, it was a hand on top of mine. I felt the palm and the fingers on my hand. I pulled my hand away from the light switch, thinking my mom had decided to turn the light on herself. The light didn't come on so I reached back again and turned it on and my mom was still laying on the couch. She never got up.

A few weeks later I was sick and stayed home from school. My mom had to work and brothers went to school so I was home alone. I was laying down watching TV and I started hearing dishes clanging together in the kitchen and what sounded like footsteps. There was no one there when I checked. I called my aunt and waited outside until she got there. I didn't hear or feel anything else for 3 more years.

When I was 15, my friend and I was hanging out in an old room in a pool hall my grandfather owned. There was an old pool table in the room and my friend and I were sitting on it in the dark talking about stuff. She nudged my arm and told me to look in the doorway to the bathroom. There was a shadow figure there. It was short like a kid about our age or so. We could see the outline of a human shape perfectly and before either of us could move, the pool balls started rolling across the table and falling in the pockets. Needless to say we were very scared and ran out of that room. Once again I didn't see or hear anything for a few years.

At the age of 21 I was married and had my first baby. We lived in an old family home. My husband would leave for work every morning around 4:00am and that would be the time our baby girl would wake up for a bottle. While feeding and rocking her, I would start smelling pipe tobacco like the older men smoked. I have asthma so it would be an overwhelming smell like someone was sitting right next to me smoking it. That would be an every morning thing. By the time our daughter was 2, she would tell she saw a man in her bedroom. We sometimes wonder if it was an older family member that died there. Great, great grandfather.

As the years went by my husband and I both heard a baby cry, things would go missing then show back up in a place we have already looked just seconds before. Our babies would get still and stare off and then start laughing like they were seeing and playing with someone.

Another night I woke up around 3:00am to go to the bathroom and even though we've been married 16 years, I still don't allow my husband in the bathroom with me. This night I didn't lock the door because the kids and husband were all sleeping. I heard footsteps walking toward the bathroom door. Assuming it was my husband, I yelled out and said not to open the door. The footsteps stopped right outside the door so I opened it expecting him to be standing there but he wasn't. No one was. He was still asleep in our bed. The kids were all asleep still also.

I haven't heard or seen anything for maybe 2 years now but sometimes I get the creepy feeling of being watched and some nights I get goosebumps all over my arms and legs because the feeling of someone watching me gets too overwhelming. I feel like the footsteps and pipe smoke could be from our great great grandfather that built the house.

My first born daughter is now 13. She's one that is not afraid of anything. She likes to sleep with all lights off, bedroom door shut. Been like that for years.

When she was 11 she woke me up during the night scared like I've never seen before. She said she was asleep and something woke her. She said it felt like someone was throwing tiny rocks or something of the sort at her from her closet. She said she laid there and it kept happening. She ran to us. Of course we checked and all doors and windows were still locked and no one was in the house. She slept on a pallet on our bedroom floor for a full week before being brave enough to return to her own room.

Even to this day she still sleeps in her room but says sometimes it feels like someone sits down next to her on her bed. She has a bunk bed. She's told us she heard her school books moving on her bottom bunk one night and heard the bed squeak like someone pushed the books over and sat down. She's also said she heard a noise on her floor and saw a dark figure crawl real fast from her door toward her bed. That was another time she once again slept in our room. This time almost 2 weeks.

I don't know if this is the family member that died or something else. And if so, why seem so harmless to begin with but scares my daughter by throwing things and crawling across the floor? Could it be 2 different things? Why have I stopped hearing and seeing things about the time my daughter started hearing and seeing things?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, momof4, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
Momof4,
It's entirely possible that there is more than one entity. Although, I do have another theory as well. First of all, when your daughter felt these 'small pebbles' - did you find anything? Was the action ever repeated? If the answer is 'no' then she may have been the victim of waking dreams. They can be horribly real feeling. Generally, for just an instant or two a person will see things that aren't really there, however it isn't entirely unheard of to 'feel' things as well; touches, pinches, etc. The same holds true for the crawling figure, and sounds.
However, since you, yourself have heard and smelled things, I totally understand the concern. You said, "Even to this day she still sleeps in her room but says sometimes it feels like someone sits down next to her on her bed. She has a bunk bed. She's told us she heard her school books moving on her bottom bunk one night and heard the bed squeak like someone pushed the books over and sat down. She's also said she heard a noise on her floor and saw a dark figure crawl real fast from her door toward her bed." Is that the order in which the things happened? While, I can't say, "Ok this IS what is happening" if we go with the 2 entities theory, we have one that might be family/possible guardian, and another that is more of a poltergeist/irksome. Hasn't really done anything harmful but scaring a kid is just wrong. Perhaps family ghost has gone to stay in your daughter's room (the book shuffling, sitting on bed stuff) to let the other know it is not welcomed there. Sort of establishing 'turf' if you will. A good cleansing wouldn't hurt. Tweed already offered Rook's, and many on here swear by it.
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
lexi-loo

I am agreeing with your comments on this, they sound rational and plausible. I have submitted my first story a few days back that includes shadow man incident. Hopefully it will appear. I had one of those pure white light dreams once. It was amazing and the person in it was a guy I used to work with. He was very unhappy so not sure what it all meant. 😊
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
sorry meant to add that maybe the reason we see shadow people is just gods way of telling us that there is something there, we are just not ready to see there full manisfestations... Shadow people don't always have to be bad omens 😊
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
You never know, maybe you have seen things but as you said... "Maybe that is why I have not seen any apparitions. Part of me thinks " yeah, I am ready to see " but maybe another deeper part says no."Our minds could be seeing these things but not registering what they truly are because we are not ready to see them...

I think it would be amazing to see family members in that WHITE light and know that they are happy but as you suggest we may not be able to handle it just yet... I personally think some people have a marvelous gift but some people are just not ready to use it just yet... Many people feel that after a near death experience people are moee open to the paranormal, do you think maybe this is because they have been shown it by God as a way of him telling us not to fear what has to come?
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
lexi-loo,

Interesting thought. From what I have heard in the past is that people do not see ghosts for a variety of reasons and one of them is that the individual is not ready to see i.e. It would be too much for them to handle.

Maybe that is why I have not seen any apparitions. Part of me thinks " yeah, I am ready to see " but maybe another deeper part says no. But, I have genuinely seen a shadow person so I guess that is something.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
Through out time ghosts and spirits and demons have been able to hide from humans all these years and on the odd occasion there are people that can see them...,ive read that there are different realms all around us, so do you think there's a possibility that the rules for people not seeing the paranormal could be the same in the spirit realm that humans can have the power to hide themselves from ghosts etc, and that we can sheild ourselves from the paranormal... Just a thought?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-17)
Hi Momof4,

Sounds like a lot of different things happening here.

The light switch moment reminded me of someone attempting to turn on the light for you. Possibly the same one who banged around in the kitchen. Would it be possible they didn't know you were home that day? It might have been something they did when they thought no one was home.

I must admit the pool hall moment rattled me a bit. Didn't like the sound of that much! I wondered if the figure you saw in the bathroom door maybe wanted you to keep your attention on them, so you wouldn't notice who was moving the pool balls around. Not sure if this was helpful or not. But it seemed like a deliberate thing to do, stand there and be seen by you both.

The tobacco smoke seems like an old family member to me. Most likely didn't think of things like asthma and didn't mean to make you uncomfortable in that sense. Probably just wanted you to know they were there.

Things going missing and showing up again. Oh man I can relate to that! I don't think it's anything to worry about. Not if that's all that happens. Put it down to a nosey ghost.

As your kids weren't scared all the time it's possible they were just frightened by whatever was happening. But not that whatever was happening was meant to frighten them. I mean, if they were scared all the time, or most of the time, that's not a good sign. But if it was only occasional and nothing escalated, most likely unintentional.

On the night you heard footsteps up to the bathroom, was this a time of night you usually got up? If not, whoever it was may have been curious as to who you were. More importantly, if you were an intruder. In reading stories on here many people see ghosts lounging around when they get up to use the bathroom. So many stories start off with:
“Right so I was staying the night at my mates place and needed to go pee. [insert long unnecessary house layout description, yawn]...and that's when I saw a figure sat on the couch, but everyone was in bed asleep! What does this mean?!”
It could mean a lot of things. I wonder with some of these moments if a ghost has taken on a guardian type role and watches over things while people are asleep. Now a ghost can't be in two places at once. So there's bound to come a time where ghost and you cross paths. Or in your case, maybe the ghost didn't hear/see you go to the bathroom (because the ghost was otherwise occupied in another room or refilling their pipe) point is ghostie was unsure about this and wanted to check it out. So they sounded footsteps. Why, when they can be silent? Maybe because he/she thought you might be an intruder and, to be safe, wanted to scare you. Then you open the door: 'oh cool it's you, sorry about that, I'll be quiet now.'

What's happening to the 13 year old smacks of poltergeist activity. Her age is a magnet to this stuff. But don't worry about it, there are many things you can do. Have you ever done any kind of home cleansing? Here's a link to one heaps of us here use, scroll down for instructions:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155
This will help calm the energy around the home. It'll get rid of anyone with negative objectives. Any positive ghosts who frequent your home won't be affected.

As for why things happen when they do, may I suggest starting a journal. There's no real cut and dry set of rules. All ghosts are unique as are all situations. The best way to figure things out is through the detail.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: