You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Second Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

The Second Apartment

 

Pregnant with my first, my husband and I moved into a one bedroom apartment while waiting on some VA paperwork to go through. We were planning on buying a house, but had to wait for this paperwork.

The apartment was across the street from a cemetery, and I thought it was just normal and fine. We were at the very end of the row of apartments and so had parking on three of the four sides. Every apartment had a backyard too.

My vacuum was old and not working correctly, so it was a bit dusty but otherwise, everything was as right as rain. I stayed home while he went to work and school, so was able to observe the neighbors throughout the day.

Across the parking lot was a long row of apartments, two story, two and three bedrooms. People seemed to move in and out frequently. We were in the one bedroom for about 11 or 12 months and I watched 4 or 5 different people move in and out again across the way in this one particular apartment. A big odd considering the apartment complex required year long rent contracts.

After having the baby, the manager told us we needed to go to a second apartment or risk being fined or something because baby did not have her own closet. Odd. Anyway, the apartment across the way opened up and we signed over to that one. We were given 2 days to move over because she had someone lined up for ours. Basically she wanted all apartments to be filled and was moving us over, whether we liked it or not.

So we called my husband's grandma to sit and watch the baby in the living room while we took a laundry basket and filled it up, moving everything as fast as we could into the second apartment. We couldn't find any boxes on such short notice, so we used whatever we could find, bags, baskets, etc. And of course it was snowing as we moved. And night.

I was the first one in the second apartment, as husband was tearing things apart at the first apartment and grandma was minding the baby. As soon as I walked in, I felt complete dread. I hauled things upstairs into the two rooms, but there was some dark energy type thing I could see out of the corner of my eye in the second room, so I threw everything into the master and ran out. I tried to go as fast as I could but every time I went in, the dark thing still seemed to be "observing" or something. I didn't like it at all. We finally got settled, but we kept the baby in her crib next to us. I think she was maybe 5 months old or so.

While in the second apartment, I could see the cemetery out the master bedroom and watched the ceremonies that would happen on occasion. It wasn't a spooky cemetery at all. While the first apartment seemed on its own, this one seemed crowded. We had neighbors on either side, to the left was a couple who would have a battle every Sunday, and to the right was a couple who were pretty friendly. Both couples also had children.

We still avoided the second bedroom, I put my furniture in there but shut the door and stayed out of it. There was no dishwasher, so I would wash the dishes at night alone but would always feel eyes peering at me from the entrance of the kitchen. I'd turn around shaking and scared, but nothing was there.

Everything broke in that apartment, the upstairs toilet, the garbage disposal, the A/C, the heater, the washer broke at the water source flooding the place, there were no locks on the window and once the dryer had a terrible gas leak. I figured it was poor maintenance, cheap stuff or something, although that never happened in the one bedroom apartment. In the second apartment, it was one thing after another. I bought long narrow poles to lock the windows but that was as far as I was going to go. I planted roses too, but took them when I left. The rest I left for the maintenance man to figure out.

My husband bought a larger crib online and it arrived fine. We opened it up to put it together, but it reeked of stain, so we let it air out. Instead of moving the stinky crib into the creepy room, we slept in the creepy room, I figured it would be a day or two at most. It ended up being almost a month.

At night I would have nightmares of a medusa-like woman leaning over the baby, and see shadows everywhere. I chalked it up to whatever it was, it was coming from the cemetery, told it to go away, and left it at that. My husband finally gave up and packed the crib, taking it to the consignment shop. When he opened it to show the buyer, there was no smell. It was odd, within 2 hours the stain smell went away, even though it had still stunk as I was putting it in the box. We had let it air out with the window open but no change in smell. Another annoying oddity on top of everything breaking.

We then had to move the bed down into the living room because it was so hot at night, since the a/c was broken. The baby and husband could sleep, but I never rested too easy. It always felt like eyes were on me constantly. It was very unsettling. I would open the window and the back door for a cross breeze, but then would shut them again immediately.

Finally the VA paperwork went through and we were told (again by the manager) to be out in a month, or our rent would skyrocket. This time though, I was ready, and we went house hunting the following day. I wanted out of that second apartment yesterday!

We agreed on a house with the best resale value, even though I had strange dreams about the old river behind it prior to moving into the house. It was also the only house in our price range that passed VA inspection, and seemed happy and normal, despite the dreams.

The movers came to the apartment and took everything but a few random items, the fans, the vacuum, the broom, etc. Things I would need to clean up before turning in the keys. Or that were too awkward to fit into boxes.

I was alone again at night at the apartment, loading things into the car. Baby and husband were at the house. I tried to go as fast as I possibly could, because it was extremely creepy. I was hauling things to the car for maybe the third time when I looked back into the apartment and saw a man standing in the living room. A tall black shadow man just staring at me. I was about to get into the car and drive away with the front door still open, but I took a deep breath and stood there a minute to gather my wits. Two people walked by on their way somewhere, so I gained some courage to run back in there with the man, grab everything and go. I even managed to lock the front door, but I was terrified.

The first week in the new house was really weird. I could hear static voices in the back room, and over the course of the year, my husband and I both saw shadowy figures in the bedroom and hallway.

I've spent the last two years "cleaning" the things out of the house, and blessing and all of that. I've managed to remove the strange shadows (they are still outside but not in the house) and get rid of the weirdness everywhere but the toy room and hallway.

They seem most active August/September. Voices, missing items, toys turning on and playing alone. Day before yesterday we were all asleep, and the printer, disconnected from everything, started printing and making all of these funky noises. It has no ink or paper, so nothing came out, but it kept going until my husband shouted at it to stop. It was 6am or so, had never done that before, and the second he yelled at it, it stopped and did not continue. I assume, like everything else, it was just a fluke.

I still can't figure out if whatever was in the second apartment came with us, or if I have been dealing with a whole new set of energies, or both, it's extremely annoying. The shadow I saw at the second apartment seemed like an angry human, while the shadows at this house seem more like the typical non-human "shadow people" with the funny hats. I get the feeling that the problem lies with the land itself, and the house is in the way. They seem to be traveling from the front yard through the north rooms of the house to the old river in the back by the big tree.

There seems to be a "playful" thing in the toy room and hallway. I am afraid to leave my second daughter in the hallway to roll around while I go to the bathroom, because it just seems like something is jumping over her or going to grab her or something.

At night in the bathroom washing my hands I can feel something peeking around and making faces, and again as I'm washing the dishes at night or cleaning the counter. Similar to the second apartment experience. I try to ignore it as much as possible, although I am seriously considering getting and hanging a Zhong Kui keychain on the vanity in the toy room.

Just last night I took my oldest (now 3) outside to find the moon. We couldn't see it, but she yelled and pointed and we both watched a shadow move from our yard to the back of the house where the old river used to be. There are two streetlights next to the house, we are at the end of the cul-de-sac and no cars were driving, so a shadow of unknown origin, basically. We went back inside quickly.

I don't know. Things have been so weird since that second apartment, I really wish we had never ventured in there. Here's hoping I can get the toy room "cleaned" out this winter. Enough already.

The only thing that is consistent is that I put my childhood furniture in the bad room in the 2nd apartment. The same furniture is now in the toy room with similar problems. I've never had a problem with that furniture before, and I've had it all of my life. My mother had it before me, it had been left at a house she moved into when she was 6 years old. Maybe there's a problem now?

Timeline: 1st apt Jan/Jan: 2nd apt Jan/Aug: House: Aug/present

Other hauntings by shelbyloree

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shelbyloree, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-17)
I am also late, wish-not, sorry! This site is a little difficult without alerts for comments, and I often take breaks from it because it's pretty intense reading at times.

The answer is I SHOULD HAVE put my blanket (with creepy thing attached) in the trash. However, my mom had made it from scratch I think, and I felt extremely guilty about burning the stupid thing. I took it to Goodwill, so it is probably back in circulation. Hopefully it's still sitting in a warehouse or someone else disposed of it. I recommend tossing your item in question - or having a known 'minimalist' toss it for you.

Legion777 - we're good, thanks! Cut down the trees, tossed out stuff and painted the weird room. Seems as long as I am doing home improvements things are fine. No shadows or visitors this year. Am currently sanding the bathroom cupboards down to the original oak wood, the awful blue kitchen is next.

It's a bit frustrating trying to get the house to good feng shui with limited resources, but it's getting there! No more disembodied voices, and no shadows so hurrah!
legion777 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-21)
Late on this but I am a practicing shaman and know all Areas of tha craft been doing it for 26 years... If you still need help email me playnino781 [at] gmail.com
I can tell you what to do just follow tha steps to tha T!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-29)
Shelby- I've been re-reading your stories during the down time here in the office this morning. I wrote re-read because I believe I have read them before. Enjoyed them for a second time.

I guess I didn't comment the first go round because it seemed like everyone covered everything I was going to say or ask. 😊

However, this time I found myself curious over a certain thing. If, and it's a big IF, the items you had decided to "toss" might have carried the attachment to whomever it ended up with. Kind of "passing the haunting on" so to speak.

I bring this up because of our certain situation. We are not sure if "our" haunting is attached to something we have in storage waiting to be passed on to some unsuspecting yard sale buyer or end up back into our new home.

I thought I read where you donated the "tossed" items. Have you ever wondered if someone else ended up with it? Or did I miss read and you put it to the trash. Just curious things that came across my mind as I read your experiences.

SUPER glad things have calmed down for you. Have a great weekend 😊
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-14)
Update year later: cut down the trees in the front yard, almost all activity stopped. Still trying to get the closet 'cleansed' but other than a semi creepy feeling if I go into the closet in the dead of night, all is well.

I get the feeling whoever planted those trees was bad mojo. Aug/Sept is peak weirdness time, so I shall see since it is mid July, but I think it will fade quickly this year.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-23)
Thanks everybody! My windchimes arrived yesterday and I put them up immediately, love them of course! They are between the front door and bedroom window where the funky stuff is.

The outside lighting I may have to look into, I'm just happy I'm not jumping ten feet into the air every ten minutes walking by the toy room or going down the hall.

No, I'm in a predominately German area, a prof I had once told me they didn't even start to speak English (in the schools) until WWII. The Natives that were here were either forced to marry the German settlers (the women) or forced to leave (the men). But I will invest in some sage in a bit, and keep at it!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-22)
Mimi is on to something.

While the 'typed' Cleansing and Shileding I have provided seems to specify 'the interior' of the home. I visualize the 'Cleansing' all the way to my property lines.

Or if the area you live in has a Native American history you can ask a Shaman out to preform a ritual. That is your personal choice.

Thank you for sharing, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-22)
Shelby, thanks for posting the picture. I'm so glad things are feeling better in the house! I really hope that got rid of whatever might have followed you.

I wonder if adding some additional outside lighting would help your outside situation. Maybe a yard cleansing is called for.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-21)
Mimi81: The eyes were also fabric, yes. It looked similar to this blanket, except the duck had no white in its eye and it was standing under a white daisy. I think they were popular in the 1980's?

Https://www.etsy.com/listing/90558397/duck-baby-quilt-front-and-back-pattern

I'm not sure if this link will work - but if it does, you get the idea of the 'cutesy' part. It's been a day, and walking by the room or going in it I haven't seen anything spooky or odd, so I might have gotten rid of it. I still need to wash those walls, but the general feeling inside the house is getting better.

Last night I had to run to CVS/Osco about 11pm, and walking outside to the car was terrifying. It felt like something was going to attack me or jump out at me from the side of the house or behind the car. I ran to the car and drove to the store. Coming back to the house, I kept the lights to the car on until I was inside. Inside wasn't bad, outside was creepy. I am still waiting on those windchimes, dang it!

Yes, the song is bizarre and annoying. When it starts up, I try to sing a happier 'lonely' song, like Mia Doi Todd's song Age. She does a really cool job at word play with that one. 😊
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-21)
Shelby, it may take a little time to see if the blanket was part of the problem. I think keeping the window open and letting in fresh air and light is an excellent idea. If I were you, I'd let as much sunshine in your house each day as possible.

The lyrics are just creepy.

Thanks for answering my question about the fabric used in the blanket. I have one more question about the blanket. Were the eyes made from cloth?
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
Mimi81: I'm not sure quite yet if anything changed with the blanket, I took it to the charity truck today, along with 4 other bags of things no one was using. That's a total of 5 bags this week cleaning out closets! Trying to get it done before winter sets in and I'm stuck at home. I do know we had a rough night, and I'm not sure if it had anything to do with cleaning the room or if it was just a funky day.

When I came home today the atmosphere seemed to be still heavy but not as aware I guess. Different, but not altogether gone I could say? I'll be opening the windows tomorrow as long as I can and getting back on top of things, hopefully. It may take a few tries focusing on that furniture.

The duck blanket was one of those quilt kits she bought when I was a baby, and she sewed it new. I only remember it as a baby souvenir, never actually used type of thing. Could have started as a cute project but ended up not so much? That's how I felt about it when she gave it to me. Great. Thanks. Ha!

An odd thing that happened in the second apartment and continues to happen here occasionally ~ I'll get this one song stuck in my head on repeat, it's irritating and I can't seem to get it out. It's Meg Baird's rendition of Dear Companion, it sometimes comes up on my Pandora list, but since that apartment it's stuck like glue. I assume that song is probably telling me the spirit's problem? It's not at all a happy song, I was surprised the Dolly Parton version was happier. Sheesh!

These are Baird's lyrics so if you know the tune you can have it stuck in your head too:
Once did I have a dear companion
Indeed I thought his love my own
Until a black-eyed girl betrayed me
And then he cared no more for me

Just go and leave me if you wish to
It will never trouble me
For in your heart you love another
And in my grave I'd rather be

Last night you were so sweetly sleeping
Dreamed a name such sweet rapport
While me a poor girl lay broken hearted
Listening to the wind that blows

When I see your baby laughing
It makes me think of your sweet face
But when I see your baby crying
It makes me think of my disgrace

I wish I was some little sparrow
And I had wings and I could fly
I'd fly away to my own true love
And when he called it I'd be nigh

But I ain't no little sparrow
I ain't got wings and I can't fly
So I'll sit right here in grief and sorrow
I'll sit right here until I die

I'll go down to yonder's river
I'll spend my months my weeks my years
And I'll leave nothing but reunion
And I'll drink nothing but my tears
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
Shelby, I really hope your husband changes his mind about having an outside group come in.

The duck blanket sounds like a real possibility. It would be great if that was the culprit. Do you know if your mom used vintage fabric making it?

Please let us know if tossing the blanket made a difference. Good luck!
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
Mimi81: Thanks! A friend of mine also advised an outside group as well, but unfortunately that would be a no go with my husband. The neighbor who would have the river shadow walk through his house as well never mentioned it, and he has since had his house for sale and moved away. It is vacant now, but I think if the shadow moves in a straight line, it would go through my bedroom and bath, but it would only go through his garage area, if that, so maybe he never saw it?

I'm not terribly interested in staying in the house indefinately, 5 or 6 years total will probably be our max. So getting creepy things out of the house is my top priority. What it does from there, I'm not too worried about. Unless it follows me, boo!

Writing this out though, I agree, it does seem to be two different things happening. That really ticks me off something's possibly embedded in my stuff! Today while the baby was asleep I ventured into that room (I hardly ever go in, except to pick up) and went toy by toy, drawer by drawer. Opened the window and felt sick as a dog, but kept on going until the baby woke up. I've got three bags of unneeded things, and possibly the culprit of the problem.

I paid close attention especially to the things that were hanging or in the weird room of the two bedroom apartment. Feeling them out before deciding to keep or toss. (I still haven't been able to track down Rook's page, so this is close enough) and this one item that I hung up in the weird room was in the closet.

It was a yellow blanket my mom had quilted (?) with this duck on it. The duck was cute, except for it's pitch black eyes, and it always bugged me. Why she made it, I couldn't say, and why she gave it to me, again, no idea. But for some reason I had hung it up in the apartment and then it weirded me out, so I packed it up and tossed it in the closet at the house. As I was holding it, I became dizzy and felt weird, so there we go. I will be sending it on its merry way. It's not worth the time to "clean" it, mom made three other blankets I have that I absolutely love.

Silentwings: I actually DID have some sandalwood perfume or oil. I pulled out the drawers to the furniture in the toy room, opened the windows, and oiled up the inside. Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! Unfortunately it takes so long to clean/purge with the kiddos, I don't get to do it as often as I like. This room took 3 hours?! There isn't that much stuff, it's just as soon as I get a pile, the 3 year old runs in and starts playing, the baby cries, the husband is talking my ear off, gaaaaah! I'm like ok, I'm in here getting rid of spooks people, leave me alone! LOL!
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
That may help, also sandlewood and dragons blood incense help create a calm atmosphere in the house. 😊
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
Shelby, I think it's possible that something from the apartment followed your family AND there's a separate haunting with the house and land.

Homeowners and public records aren't always accurate sources of information about deaths on property because not all deaths are recorded. Murders are not always discovered.

Something could have happened on the land or the river close to your house. I think your best option would be to call a reputable paranormal group for help. They can probably help you more understand what you're dealing with and advise you on a better solution to end it. If you've been "cleansing" for two years and there's still entities, you really need some other options.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
sheetal:Thanks, I'll try to find Rook's page and see. It is frustrating. For example, I'll walk by the toy room and think I see a cat in there, but upon closer inspection, nothing. Obvviously. We don't have a cat.

Silentwings: My mom always told me to ask about a death on the property before purchasing because they do not disclose that information. I did and nothing came up. The house is 1976, every house except two in the neighborhood are from the 1970's. There is one at the top of the hill from the 1950's, and the original farmhouse across the street from it. The rest of us sit along the old river's path sloping down the hill. It's still a river, by the way, only cut up and backed up by houses and fences. Before 1970, people could have come down here to party? Camp? I'm not sure. It's been getting better, it's only really active late August, early September, so I'll forget about it for a bit and wonder how bad it will get next year.

I now realize it's terrible feng shui with the water drainage and sitting at the bottom of a hill, but it was the best we could do, given our options. I did order a Chung Kwei thiing and some windchimes to remedy it I hope.
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
I'm sorry that your having so many problems with this. It is a possibility that whatever was at the second apartment followed you, but since all the spirits don't seem to be threatening but rather curious or playful some of them may have been attached to the house when you and your family moved in to it. Do you know if the house or land has any history that could explain what's going on? A cleansing would help you maybe salting the doors and windows, as sheetal said Rook has a great cleansing on his profile. I hope everything calms down for you and your family.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
This is a good read... You explained it very well... I am not an expert but seems like something has latched to your family... I think you should follow rook's method. Thanks for sharing 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: