You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Empty House?

Real Ghost Stories

An Empty House?

 

I'm new to the board and have had very few experiences, but one particularly comes to mind as inexplicable.

I am female and was 45 years old. This occurred in 2003. I was looking for a home to buy, and the realtor gave me a key to an empty house I wanted to look at. It's a small town where everyone knows each other, and I had been living there just over a year.

I went to the house alone and looked at the top floor and walked around the exterior, liking it rather a lot. The water and power were off, but it was daylight, and there was plenty of light. It had a basement with a large picture window enough to see by, so I went down some bare wood stairs to the basement. Above would have been the living room and entry door.

There was a sauna in one corner, and I looked at it, thinking it would be kind of nice having that in the winter, though I am a bit claustrophobic and didn't know if it would be something I really could enjoy. The more I looked at it, the more uncomfortable I felt, so I retreated to the middle of the basement and was just looking around, wondering why the sauna bothered me so much. I suddenly heard footsteps above me, as if someone had entered the house. At first I just thought the realtor or a neighbor had stopped by and didn't think much of it, looking at the stairs and waiting for whoever it was to come down.

It seemed to me that someone entering a known empty house, upon finding the front door open, would call out. I kept listening, but nobody called out and that made me nervous. Then I remembered I was responsible for the house since I'd unlocked the door, so I needed to identify who else was in the house, and I didn't want to scare anyone to death if they did come downstairs or startle them when I popped up. So I called out, "Who's there? I'm just looking at the house, and I'm downstairs." Nobody answered, but I continued hearing the footsteps, which sounded like they were coming from a man or somebody who was rather big and heavy. I kept looking at the stairs, waiting for someone to come down, and called out again, still not getting a response.

This alarmed me, and I felt rather vulnerable being alone in the house with someone unknown, but there was only the one entrance in and out and that was up the stairs, so I charged up the stairs to confront the unknown person. There was nobody upstairs, and the sound of footsteps stopped. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I looked around. There was no time for someone to exit, so where were they? It really spooked me, but my mind said there's a logical explanation and perhaps someone had just left. I quickly ran to the door and looked out to see if anyone was leaving and saw nobody.

There was a long and narrow railed wooden walkway leading to the front door, so it just wasn't possible for someone to quickly leave without making noise. The lot was also on higher ground than the street, so the view was good. The walkway ended at the front door and there was no way to get off the veranda to go to the back yard without retracing your steps because the lot was at a much lower level than the veranda at that point.

I went back into the house and searched it, checking the back door and windows to see if they were all secure, and they were. I opened all the doors and closets to confirm there was nobody inside the house. I locked up the front door and left after checking the back and side yard, puzzling over my experience.

That property was purchased by a co-worker just a few days later. I was disappointed because I missed the opportunity to buy it, but it occurred to me it was meant to be that way.

About six months later, after the co-worker and his wife moved in, I mentioned I had looked at the house and was considering making an offer on it when he purchased it and saying how disappointed I was that I didn't get it. I asked him if he had experienced anything strange since they moved in, and he said, "Oh, yes, it's definitely haunted."

They hear footsteps and music, see ghosts, and things were always being moved around. He thinks it's the previous homeowner, who apparently died at home. I then told him what I had experienced when I looked at the house and how shaken up I'd been. They love the house and were renovating it at the time. Their resident ghosts don't seem to bother them much.

When I spoke to the realtor to make an offer, she told me it had sold a couple days prior. The prior homeowner owned the local Dodge dealership and he was eccentric in his later years. A former single car garage on the property had been turned into a guest house for his mother. I believe he, his wife and mother all died on the premises. They lived in the house for about 25 to 30 years. The house appeared to date from about the 1940's or early 1950's.

Other hauntings by C2C

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, C2C, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-07)
I'm in Las Vegas and it's so haunted here. Not really the houses, but more the streets. It's so weird. Like the highways. Especially the 215 (does a full circle around the city) if you're driving North on it towards the Ann or Lone Mountain exit. There's a huge hill that multiple people have had their cars roll and died there.
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-09)
One of my other few experiences was about 3 years after this experience and also occurred in an empty house my husband and I were looking at. For some reason, empty houses seem to get me. This was a huge home built I think in the 1920's. My hubby and I had wandered to the top floor, which was like a solarium with a wall of windows overlooking the gardens and street. I thought my husband was next to me and commented/raved to him what a gorgeous room it was, turning to look at him. He wasn't there. This really spooked me, as I definitely felt a presence and believed it was my hubby was just behind me to my right. I discovered he was actually in an adjoining room. I felt a presence, but it obviously wasn't his. When my hubby and I locked up and left, I felt like someone was looking out the solarium windows at us. We liked the house, but it was too big of a renovation project for us to consider it for our next home. I told my hubby I didn't think I would ever be able to live in it even if it was a consideration because of my experience while looking at it, though nothing really unpleasant occurred. I think the presence was the original owner, a mine superintendent who commissioned the house to be built, who appreciated my compliment of the room, and he was not trying to scare me.
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-25)
Hi SMWHRIN...97--I'm in mid-eastern Nevada, practically on the border to Utah. It's an old mining town. I think there's probably a lot of ghosts here, but I haven't ever seen one, and only had two other experiences (remembered after I posted this story) in this town. Someone else said I'd probably remember other experiences other than the three I originally mentioned, and I was amazed I'd forgotten the other incidents that happened here. I'll tell about them in another story on my days off, but they are not much.

I didn't get the feeling this was an angry or malicious ghost and, though it shook me up, I thought afterward that it really didn't intend to scare me, but rather was just letting me know he was there. That was just what msforgetmenott said and it seems to me she is exactly right.

I'm grateful.
smwhrinwndrlnd97 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-24)
Interesting experience. At least it didn't try anything really nasty on you. Nevada is just up to it's neck in ghosts, isn't it? Out of curiosity, (and you don't have to tell me, if you don't really want to) was it in Northern or Southern Nevada?
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-23)
Hi! It's so kind of you to compliment my writing. Thanks so much. At the time of this experience I spooked. I've only had two other experiences and did the same thing each time. I've always been afraid that acknowledging something paranormal would invite demons or bad spirits to visit also. I believe in ghosts and residuals. I don't believe energy can be lost in the universe, it simply takes other forms. I also believe there is a constant battle between the powers of good and evil. I try not to open myself to evil, knowing I may not have the ability to protect myself. My first response is to reject my perception of this type of experience. It's worked for me...LOL. I like my life to be predictable and understandable.

That said, I've seen enough TV shows that I wondered if it was a residual or an active ghost. It obviously wasn't a live human being, and I certainly wasn't anticipating an experience like that. I came to the conclusion it was an active ghost that I couldn't see and that it was upset because I was a trespasser. I thought this because of how frightened I felt at the time and how quickly the footsteps stopped once I reentered the living area upstairs. I thought if a ghost wanted to be pleasant, it would waft nice odors or tinkle the wind chimes instead of doing things to remind me I was alone and vulnerable. The heavy footsteps indicating it was a large man didn't help either. In the weeks that followed I pondered and came to the conclusion it wasn't being malicious, but was warning me off. Perhaps that's just my interpretation because of inexperience and fear. I like being in control of myself, so I don't like this kind of thing happening to me.

When I first saw the sauna, I was thrilled. I live in a cold climate and would love having something that would warm me up after being outside, but not that. Even now the impact of that bothers me. The closer I got, the more repulsed I was. Within minutes I was backing away, feeling very uncomfortable. I was looking around trying to figure out if it was the basement location that was bothering me. The basement was light and bright, and I felt better as soon as I got away from the sauna. In my work I often have to get in tight places much smaller than that, but I had not experienced that level of discomfort since I was a child. Perhaps one of the family members became ill from staying in it too long? I simply attributed it to my claustrophobia and was impatient with myself. I've always controlled the claustrophobia by acknowledging it and working through it. I don't believe I would have been successful in that sauna.

It was about five days later when I went to the realtor to make an offer and discovered the house sold. I was terribly disappointed in spite of my experience because I loved the lot and landscaping. The house needed a lot of updating, but I thought I could live with it. In working through my unhappiness at losing out, I came to the conclusion the ghost chose his buyer. If I had by chance gone back to the realtor that day and bought the house, it would have been a mistake for me and my family. You'd have to meet my co-worker to understand, but he is laissez-faire personified. I don't know his wife except to say hi, so I don't really know how she handles the experiences they have had. I've assumed she's fine with it. They were doing a tremendous amount of restoration work when we talked about the haunting, which is not unusual in this town of old homes. He's been working and living out of town for the last few years, but I think they still own the house, and she's still living in it because her job is here. I haven't thought to ask since I only see him occasionally.

I don't know how receptive I am. I try not to be. The other two experiences I had long ago and widely spaced apart in years were the result of personal trauma. I wrote about this particular experience because I had no logical explanation other than a ghost or residual and it was so unexpected, with no trauma being associated with the experience. Hey, I love reading your stories, but I'm quite happy they happen to you and not me!

Thanks again for the comments. I really enjoy the website.
Bonifaz (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
Hello C2C,

Welcome to Yourghoststories.
I go with msforgetmenott on this. The ghost just wanted to introduce himself to you. A pretty nice gesture, I think. It really has to be a nice spirit, especially since your co-worker really doesn't seem to be bothered, something I, personnaly, find amazing.
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
C2C, I agree wholeheartedly with Jan, you write well and I look forward to more stories from you!
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
Hello C2C,
Your clear and easy to understand event, had me wondering why you were chosen to hear those footsteps. Do you think it wanted you to realize, that should you buy this home, you had no choice, but to share it. The timing of the steps to your visit, seemed to say, know I am here. It is up to you now.
I do wonder if the people that beat you in the sale of the house, might have heard unusual noises before purchasing the house also. That would make the ghost honest, like fair warning...
C2C, you do write well, I would like to hear of your other events, often when thinking hard on a subject, you realize, you have had more stories then you first thought.
You are probably more receptive than you think. When you felt uncomfortable with the sauna, had you thought, perhaps something bad might have happened within the sauna?
Thanks,
Jan
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
Hi C2C. That certainly is an interesting experience. Have you ever considered that the footsteps and music might be residual?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: