You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hooves On Green Springs Hwy, Or

Real Ghost Stories

Hooves On Green Springs Hwy, Or

 

In early October of 2012, my husband and I had driven down to California to visit some friends. On our way home we decided to take a different route through Oregon, to go to Klamath Falls so my husband could visit some family.

At some point in our trip we misplaced our map and had an unreliable GPS, so when we hit Ashland, OR, my husband stopped into a gas station to ask for directions.

At this point all we knew was that we were in Ashland, but had no idea how to get where we wanted to go. It was about 7:30pm. The cashier at the gas station sent us down a highway called highway 66. Later we found this to also commonly be known as Green Springs Highway. After about 10 minutes of driving or so, we noticed there was nothing around. It was pitch black outside and the stars were very bright. We continued on for what felt like forever, it had been at least an hour. We had not seen a single vehicle, and there were no buildings or houses.

I needed to go to the bathroom so we pulled off to the side of the road. After I finished my business, my husband had the idea to lay on the hood of our truck for a few minutes, and take a break to enjoy the stars. One side of the road was a straight up cliff the other a complete drop off or steep hill. We were on the side on the road that had a drop off and the cliff like wall was on our right. My husband was on the driver's side and I was on the passenger's side.

We had been laying quietly for only about 5 minutes tops, when all of the sudden out of nowhere, about a foot or so from my husband's side of the truck we heard what sounded exactly like galloping hooves. It did not sound like they were coming or going they were just there extremely close to us. We couldn't see anything but my husband panicked, shoved me off the hood and pushed me through the passenger's door and into the driver's seat.

Once we were in, which only took us about 30 seconds, I cracked my window and used the flashlight on my key chain to look for the source of the sound. Nothing was there, but we never heard the hooves leave either.

At this point I felt so scared, that I pretty much floored it out of there. I drove going about 55 mph for approximately 30 minutes before pulling over to take it all in. We were sitting there in the truck on the side of the road, when we began to hear a rolling and metal dinging sound from the top of our truck. We both looked at each other and touched the ceiling of the truck, and we both felt what we could only describe as the feeling as if someone was actually on top of the truck, moving around.

We hightailed it out of there and made it to a town called Keno. Once in Keno we stopped at a second gas station, asked for directions once again, and easily found our way to my husband's grandmother's home. The rest of our trip was unremarkable, but we both could not stop wondering what happened while we were on the Green Springs Highway.

When we got home later that week, my husband was unloading the truck while I was upstairs looking out the window down at him, when I noticed scratches all over the top of our truck. I called my husband up to look at it and see if it was there before or not. When he came up to look, he was just as freaked as I was. The scratches spanned the width and length of the truck's roof, and we're claw like. To this day we have no clue what happened out there.

The sound of these hooves is is a sound I never want to hear again in my life. I would love to know if anyone knows what this could have been. Everyone we have told about our experience has laughed at us or not taken us seriously, but we both would really like to know what it was. It's been bothering me since it happened.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, humbledhousewife, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
Meu Deus! I have Equine phobia and is very afraid of horses even until this days.
I read this story last night but can't comment since I was so scared, well day light helps a little perhaps.

I was thinking that it was a spirit of lost horses since the high way is there since 19th century; it was upgraded from a dirt road according to a research.
Re-reading the story and doing some more research of such entities, it seems like it's called a Chasm Demon, a Lesser Demon with very few powers. It is believed to have dark skin color and a pair of big hands with claws and 4 fingers. Were there 3 claw marks? Perhaps you guys didn't have to worry since Lesser Demons (any kind), have little power; it cannot harm you unless someone kept a control on them to make them harm people, well I am not really a believer on this part. This is just to keep me a little calmer, to make me forget about horses, hope this would help a little as well.

Usually, what people around me say, if there would be any horse spirits that place would have no man made buildings or houses since horses are very territorial in the wild, even their spirits can be very aggressive, especially when there would be mare spirits people would be mysteriously kicked and would be injured sometimes.

In this story, you guys seemed to be safe and I hope nothing bad had happened.

Blessing from São Paulo

E.Lynx
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-23)
I'm curious if this is "Route 66" or just a state highway? I know there is a lot of history on the old route and I have traveled it a little throughout Arizona. I have some stories of my own to share about that road, but that is for another post.

This reminds me of a somewhat cheesy urban legend lurking about the old road (66). Have you ever heard of the pig-hoofed mangler? The legend goes that a half-human/half-pig man roams the highway at night looking to ambush stranded motorists. The man is said to be a normal human only with pig hooves as his feet and a hook for one of his hands. You can hear him gallop while approaching.

A cheesy mythical urban legend, but it would make my blood run cold to hear a phantom gallop on that road! 😨
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
jeepers creeepers! What a fascinating and unnerving experience. This would be worth investigating that is if you lived close to this place and checkout local legends and newspapers for something that may have happened there. Plus you have historical societies that could be of help. Just a thought. 😊
Bonifaz (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
Hello humbledhousewife,

I would say that hooves you heard were probably residual, considering you were on a highway which probably used to be a trail where people used to go on horses in the good ole' days.
But this doesn't explain the scratch marks on your truck's roof. Either these two incidents aren't connected, or you might have experienced some sort of phanthom rider.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-20)
i hate that nagging feelings its like knowing youve forgot something but not knowing what...

Maybe you could ask someone like investagators to drive down the same road and see of they experience anything
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
Definitely an unnerving experience, I would never want to go back there, thank-you for sharing.
humbledhousewife (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
lexi-loo, your comment is exactly how I feel. Every now and again, it randomly pops up and my husband and I will talk about it but we both end up getting too spooked and just drop it.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
Jeezo that would have been freaky deaky at the point of hearing the hoofs and then also seeing the scratches, id probably steer clear of going there again, but it would nag at me forever wanting to know what it was

This one is heading into my favourites.
humbledhousewife (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
Miracles51031, we have not traveled that way since this event, but both of us often wonder what it was we experienced. As for the truck we have since gotten rid of it, but the scratches were not too deep, but deep enough to be visible from the 2nd story of my house on a white truck. Just thinking about this event still gives me the creepiest feeling ever.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
humbledhousewife - wow! That had to have been a very creepy experience 😨 Were the scratch marks deep or could they have been buffed out? Not sure that it makes a difference either way, just curious.

Have you and your husband ever traveled that way again, just to see if anything like that happened again?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: