You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Was It Really A Horse?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It Really A Horse?

 

This is my first story on YGS so I'll try to keep it simple, one last thing English is not my native language so I'll appreciate any spelling or grammar corrections.

Let me start by telling you guys I'm a graduated doctor. The reason I tell you this is because my story has a lot to do with late night studying.

I live in a neighbourhood which is constructed in a hill. Imagine rows of houses going up to a dead end, this rows being separated by streets that communicate in the down side. That means that if I live in the last house of the street and I want to go to the last house of another street, I have to walk all the way down, take a turn and walk up again.

Anyway here I was, late at night, studying in my living room, which is the room you enter when you open our front door. Empty streets, when I heard them... "toc toc toc, stomp stomp" stomping sounds going up the street. I was so deep in my reading when I suddenly realize... "HOOVES?" "NOOO way in Earth those are hooves?" Thing is by the 5 secs my brain realized I was hearing hooves, the stomping was gone... Then I hear the same stomping noise but this time on the other side of the street, I'm thinking... "Ok if that was a horse, and I heard it going up... How can it possibly be in the other street 5 secs later?" I take a look at the clock 12:10 am.

I kept studying but wondering about that incident. It did happen several times, and I always checked the clock "12:10" "12:30" "01:10" always happened between 12am and 2am. The thing is, there were some days I waited for it to happen and it never did, other days I completely forgot about it and as soon as I got deep in my studies it happened. Never had the courage to go outside and see it... Hooves stomping their way up and seconds later, stomping their way down on the other street.

I never told anyone on my family about the "Horse". I never thought to bring it up as a dinner conversation. One day I was having a late night beer with my brother. We were both on the living room, chatting about our days and projects, when he said "Well, I guess I'll call it a night, I have an early rise tomorrow" and then he added "Besides it's 11:20 pm, I should go to sleep before that horse creeps me out." And I asked him "Have you heard it?" and he said "Hell yeah man... " "And have you seen it or peek up the window, how do you know it is a horse?" and he said "I'm just assuming it is a horse, and there is no way in Hell I'm peeking to find out... I just cover up with my blankie man"...

It's been a few years since my first encounter with the "stomping issue". Now that I don't stay up so late I haven't heard it in while, it's 11:20pm at the moment I'm writing this story so maybe I'll hear it today...

Why do I assume it was a horse? Well I had a professor in Med school who always ended up his lectures with this phrase: "Remember people, medicine is just a game of common sense. If you find an egg what do you think of? Birds... And if you hear hooves, always think horses and not zebras..."

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, drjrom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-20)
I had a coworker who once told me of a horse that was somehow cursed or magical and would roam at night, something about how you weren't supposed to look at it. He no longer works with me, but I will ask him to re-tell me the story when I run into him again. He is originally from the Philippines, which I mention because they were colonized by the Spanish too, and I find we often share customs and traditions, so I wonder if there is something to the horse story that would span both cultures.
drjrom (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Lady-glow, hi, yes maybe some night cam could be useful, but I don't have the time to set it up, because of my work I travel a lot, no one would be there to help me set it up and probably it would be stolen from my porch... Well the Old lady, she is like 80 years old and I remember she told me that when she was younger her husband always came up drunk and in order to avoid having an argument she decided to move to another bedroom, one that face to the street. She said the only thing that sepparated her bed from the street was the wall. Just like me she started to hear that same hooves going up, never down, she got curious so one night she decided to wait and see what was going on. She waited until she heard the hooves going up the street and when she was about to open the window to peek she heard all the dogs growling, barking and howling and she heard something run down and that started to scratch her wall and made noises like when a bull snorts, growling and the hooves so close to her window that she covered herself up... She never slept in that room again...
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Drjrom: the use of some modern technology could help to see what is going on during the night without having to peek out the window, -perhaps a night cam or something similar?

Could you please post what the old lady told you about this?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
Manafon,

You are correct concerning your last statement...

(Toot, Toot) On my profile you will find an experience titled; 'Images of Mist'.

Not something I do often, but you may enjoy reading this particular experience of mine.

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
drjrom--Your account is very interesting and reminds me of a case documented in a book I am reading on apparitions (Apparitions and Haunted Houses: A Survey of Evidence). In it a general who was stationed in the state of Punjab in India heard on several occasions the loud sound of a horses hooves on the drive leading up to his house. The first time he heard it he also saw, rounding a corner, "a man mounted on a pony with two syces or grooms." As his account progresses, the horse, rider and two attendants came within mere feet of the general. He could then ascertain that the rider was in full dinner dress and was being held in position on his horse by two attendants.

When he asked what they wanted the rider looked at him and he realized it was a recently deceased Lieutenant. When the general lurched at the apparitions, all vanished. This case was well documented and several other people verified the sounds and the description of the lieutenant who had died of his numerous excesses and had recklessly ridden his favorite horse to death soon before he died himself.

Maybe what you are hearing is another horse and rider who at some time in the past resided in the area. You really should take a look out the window next time you hear the sound. The apparition of a horse, and possibly its rider, would be an incredible sight!
drjrom (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
For Spockie, I live in the city, urban area, streets, cars, no deers...
For Lady Glow, I have wanted too, but I'm to coward to do it...
For Valkricry There aren't any spaces between the houses, I've talked to a lot of people here in my neighborhood and they have heard it, apparently that thing goes way back an old lady even told me her story about that issue... I forgot to mention that dogs go crazy when that happens, barking, howling, growling...
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-27)
Well, since your brother also heard it, you know you heard something. I'm with lady-glow, only way to solve it is by peeking out the window.
These rows of houses, are they attached to each other, or are there spaces between them?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-27)
Bienvenido a YGS.
Interesting experience... I guess the only way to know what exactly is making that sound is peeking out of the window. 😐

Thanks for sharing.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-09-25)
I'm just curious. Do you have deer where you live? If you do, that's a possibility.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: