You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: A Lifetime Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

A Lifetime Haunting

 

I was around 7 years of age when I had my first experience. One thing I should make clear is that I don't remember much of my childhood and I'm sure it has something to do with my experiences while I lived in this particular house as a child.

It was late of night and I couldn't sleep. I can't remember whether it was because I was excited as something was happening the next day, but I do remember I was sitting up in bed reading a book. (I can even tell you the book I was reading - Read it Yourself, Jack and the Beanstalk) I don't know when I became aware of it but I could hear footsteps right outside my bedroom window, back and forth, then back and forth again. It was almost as if someone or something was pacing, waiting and there was an air of anticipation. It unnerved me, but at that time I wasn't scared, I just remember thinking to myself "Who would be walking underneath my window this late of a night?" I knew it wasn't my Mam or Dad because I'd heard them go to bed.

For some reason Mam had never put curtains in my window and my bed was situated so that I couldn't see the window when I was in bed. I was aware that the footsteps had stopped but, again, at the time I thought nothing of it. I suddenly became aware of something or someone watching me. I felt compelled to turn around and look out of the window, so I did...

What I saw will be with me for the rest of my life and I still get heart palpitations when I think of it, I am now, as I'm writing this down.

A pair of eyes were staring at me and not just any eyes; they were red rimmed, hollow and evil. They appeared to be glowing as it was dark outside. I stared transfixed. I felt paralyzed and couldn't move. As sudden as the paralysis came over me it left and I was able to turn away. And turn away I did indeed. I was so scared that I grabbed my nearest teddy bear and cuddled down into my bed with the covers up to my chin and bawled my eyes out.

The feeling of being watched left me and the pacing of footsteps resumed. I don't know what time the footsteps stopped but I do know that as I drifted into an uneasy sleep they were still there and felt like they were reverberating through my head.

The next morning I told Mam and Dad what I had seen, they scoffed and laughed at me, saying what a vivid imagination I had. I felt like crying again. I knew it was real but no-one believed me. My Dad said that I should have come and got him if someone was walking around the garden and he explained the eyes as a car going down the road. It could have been feasible if it hadn't been for the huge hedge that hid cars from view and not being able to see the road from my bedroom window. But being the skeptical people they are, they rationalized and tried to explain it away as a natural occurrence - and maybe it was - but I didn't think so, and nor do I think so now.

From that time on I was afraid of the dark and didn't like the fact that there were no curtains in my window. Mam never did put curtains up though, not until we moved house. She said that because we were in the country I didn't need them.

A couple of weeks later I remember playing in the woods with my brother and friends. I can't remember what happened but I can remember a "woman" and "red shoes". I remember being scared and running like mad. It wouldn't be until years later, in fact a few years ago, that Mam would reveal something to me that disturbed me and is possibly linked to my experience.

I don't know how long it was after the experience but I'd made Mam move my bed to the other side of the room so that I could face anything head on. I had some strange idea that I would be safer if I could see the window. Mam had tucked me into bed and I had left strict instructions for her to "leave the landing light on" as Mam wouldn't leave a light on in my room. I had settled down to sleep with my hands on top of the duvet. I felt warm and safe - looked after. I became aware of a presence but this time it wasn't threatening and I didn't feel any evil, just warmth. Someone took hold of my hand which frightened me because I knew there wasn't anything or anyone in the room with me. I jerked my hand away and put them under the covers and this time I said nothing to Mam and Dad. They didn't believe me when I told them of my other experiences, why would they believe me now? Besides I didn't want to be laughed at again.

I can't remember if I had anymore experiences but after the holding of my hand I have always felt like I'm being watched over and looked after. We moved when I was 11 to a new area and I continued having paranormal experiences but none as frightening as this one. I became fascinated with hauntings and would read anything paranormal that I could get my hands on.

At 33, I still feel that whoever or whatever was there in that house is still playing a big part of my life. I have been starting to get flashbacks of my childhood and I don't know whether it has any significance to my experience.

About 2 years ago I was cleaning my son's room out and I had the feeling that someone was standing in the doorway. I turned around expecting it to be my husband creeping up on me but it wasn't. There was a man standing in the door, for just a split second and then he disappeared. I believe that this man is the same one that held my hand as a child and has been looking out for me ever since. I see him as my guardian angel.

I know the house I'm living in now has a spirit, but the spirit of a woman. The reason I know this is that my husband and I have seen her on separate occasions. Also, a couple of months ago we'd been shopping and decided that we would get a taxi home. As we pulled up outside our house the taxi man declared "this is my aunt's old house" and then went on to say "she lived here in the 40's". He helped us with the shopping and kept looking at the house with a dreamy smile on his face. In fact he seemed reluctant to leave. In the end he looked at us and his final parting words were "say hello to her for me". As we walked into the house I said to my husband "Did he just say what I thought he said?" We were both just a little freaked by this but as I was unpacking the shopping I found myself saying out loud "Your nephew just dropped us off and he says hello!"

Besides I'm digressing here, and as I mentioned before I have started to get flashbacks around the time I lived in that house. I was talking to my Mam on the phone and I was asking her about a particular flash back I'd recently had - I was in the living room with my dad, he was putting on my socks and telling me that it was okay and there was nothing to be scared of. I remember being very scared and nothing my father said would help - Mam said that it was nothing and when I asked my dad, he told me that he was taking me on his rounds as a gamekeeper. I didn't believe him. I was so used to my dad's job having grown up with it that I knew this wasn't the case. I still don't know whether my parents are deliberately keeping something from me or to this day they can't genuinely remember.

Mam went on to reveal that while we lived in there that I kept having "nightmares" about a woman in red shoes walking around the garden. I asked Mam whether she was sure it was nightmares I was having or something more, but as Mam and Dad are the most skeptical people I know, they are adamant that it was just nightmares. I on the other hand don't believe they were...

I have had flashbacks of a woman standing. She is wearing a white top with a red skirt and has red shoes on. Whether this is the woman Mam was referring to I don't know, neither do I know whether it is connected to what I have experienced.

The name Mary also keeps cropping up a number of times from spiritualists. No-one in our family went by the name Mary and I don't know whether it's connected or not. I do know that my time in that house is very patchy and I can't remember anything significant ever happening again. Whether it was too traumatic for me and I've blocked it out has occurred to me, but I'm too frightened of seeing someone about it in the event that I do remember something that I don't want to, or is so traumatic that it will affect me even more than it has done so already.

I feel compelled to write an account of my experiences because I feel that even today I'm still being haunted by it. Maybe there is a rational explanation for it and if anyone can offer one I'd be grateful. I also want to know where Mary comes into this. Is she the woman in red shoes or someone else? And more importantly has she got a message for me? There are so many things that come back to me, some I remember and others fade away again and elude me. The main thing is that I think I need help to solve this mystery that hangs over this experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rhia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

tmeyer09 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
Hi Rhia,
I thought your story was really interesting, I had my first experience at 7 years old as well and I think It's been mostly by the same girl the whole time. My parents wouldn't believe me either, my mom has become more spiritual over the years and I feel that if I told her now she'd only feel bad for how she ignored my screaming and experiences so I won't tell her, maybe someday but I don't think I can ever tell her the full depth of everything that's happened to me, It would only scare her. I found comfort in knowing that you experienced something similar, obviously I'm sorry you went through that too, I know it's the most lonely feeling in the world.
Like you there's a mystery in the haunting I've faced and I don't know where to even begin. I wish you the best of luck, atleast there's your guardian angel to give you peace of mind through all of this.
RhianSarah (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
hey Rhia:)
I was just browsing this site when I stumbled across your story, and immidiatley had to make an acount- our stories are so similiar! Even our names are similair- I'm Rhian, lol.
I've lived in the same house all my life, and there is a precence here either haunting me or my house, although I think it may be me.
I first saw her when I was young, like you, but my parents never believed me. Luckily, although the lady I saw really scared me, she seems to be harmless.
My heart goes out to you, having such a scary presence through out your childhood.

Xxx rhian.
bluefreak01 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
rhia, I think this thing is trying to tell you something about your past or future that might come back and do somethng to you. The man is probably a guardian angel also trying to help. Maby mary comes in to the hauntings. As in apart of them. You need some more way more info on that mary subject though. Maby the aunt is the mary but I'm not sure. Ill look up things on that if I can.

Haunted mom,
the biggest blue freak in the world, LoLa, a new mom
CornCobXov (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
I gotta say, I believe ya! That seems extremely scary to me. I'm going to have nightmares now. Good thing my bed is in the only position in my room where I can see the windows. There's something about facing the windows at night, according to phycology, that comforts all people. I thinks it's because you can see everything that's coming, preferrably before it sees you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I think this was a well written story myself. Since people posted here some time ago, have you looked into the history of the house? And if so what did you find out?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
All I can think is that you have a powerful Guide who is protecting you and who had prevented the red eyed evil being from entering your home. Did anyone ever check the hedges to see if there was any evidence left from the pacing sounds your heard? Unfortunately I have the feeling they did not.
How comforting that once your bed was moved your Guide came to you and held your hand to let you know that you were safe. I know that it did not feel safe at the time, though.
What an interesting twist that the taxi driver just happened to be the nephew of the woman who still resides in your home, and how wonderful of you to relay his message, even in your shocked state. His verification that something indeed was in the house probably gave you a sense of relief.
As for the research of the house, I would try the local library or the Internet first, only because around here I am told that this is the busiest time of the year and to "bother" the courts to find such information is frowned upon. (Stupid tax preparing time) Also, If I were too apprehensive about going to the childhood home, I would talk to neighbors. Who knows? Sometimes they hold more pertinent information than the legal documents would. Probably because they seem to share more personal information and documents tend to leave that out.
Thank you for your story. I believe your Guide is still with you in a protection mode. You have nothing to worry about.
Abby (710 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Rhiandra Ilver,

You may wish to take some time off and go visit your Nan and while there do some research in public records, as well as drop into the public library in regards to your past home's history. You may also wish to take it a bit further and go to the neighborhood and inquire from neighbors about the history of the house and neighborhood. If you are quite brave or perhaps, what others might say brash, you might want to visit the new owners of your previous residence and find out information from them and what they may have to share about their current experiences living in the house. It has worked both ways for myself, there have been many times complete strangers have showed up at my doorstep wanting to see their old homestead.
I have found out much from previous owners who have made such wonderful, drop-in visitations to my home(s). I have learned from my own personal experience, that you can always ask and the worst thing they can say to you is "no". Most times I have heard "yes" with much additional information following. In fact, to tell you the truth, I do not recall a time when someone said "no" to me about such information. People like to talk of bygone times and life histories.

You may wish to consult a psychic or medium in which to learn more. This may also be a past life experience or connection, and you might consider a hypnotherapy regression. Another possibility may be that of abduction and having ET visitors as unwanted guests within your life. It could be some, all or none of these possibilities, but it is your responsibility to search and research until you locate, find and resolve the questions within your own self about this and these personal experiences. :)

Blessings, Abby
Rhia (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I hardly speak to my brother and very rarely see him. He's in the very same mind as my mam and dad and is quite skeptic. I know that years after the experience he would tease me relentlessly which would often result in an argument, as I was adamant that I was speaking the truth. I think if I was closer to him and felt that I could talk to him I would bring the subject up, but unfortunately we're not, truth be told we've never been close.
Rhia (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Thanks for the advice on researching into the history of the house Cherstyne. I don't live in the area anymore so it might prove a little difficult to get this information. However my Nan still lives in the area so I will ask her if she can do a little bit of digging for me, and find out what I need to do. I was also thinking of contacting the nearest library there and asking them how I would go about finding this type of information and if there was a way that it could either be sent to my local library or any other way of looking at anything that might help me. Have been in University for the last couple of days so I haven't had a chance to phone them yet, but I'm finishing early tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a chance to phone them then. I will let you know the outcome of it all...
Cherstyne (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
I love your story. I have had simular experiences. I am glad I never saw red eyes though. That is so scary. I wanted to give you advice on doing research. I would start at the local historical society. You can find amiazing documents there, start with asking for land records and census information. Then you can start working on getting information on the families that lived there prior to you and your family. Once you do that then you can do research on each family. Find out if there were deaths during the time which they lived there. The local cemetary records may help with this too. If you still can't find what you are looking for try to research court and church documents and old news papers. Depending on the era these can hold a lot of information about crimes and accidents tht may have taken place in that area. Good luck! I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
I am certain thast you did indeed have experiences as a child. Children can often accept and be affected by different things then adults.

Do some history checks on the house. As your brother ab9ut different occurances or experiences, he may be reluctant to have communicated them as he wa afraid your parents wouldn;t believe him either.

God Bless!
Rhia (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
Thank you for your comments. I have thought about looking into the history of the house but I'm not too sure how I would go about it. Quite a few years ago, on a visit to my Nan's, I insisted that we drive past the house that I lived in. It scared me to be honest, but it also intrigued me as to whether the new people who were living there at the time ever had any similar experiences. However, I was too scared to knock on the door and my Nan didn't think it would be a good idea. Any tips on how I would go about looking into the history of the house? Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
Rhia, If I were you I'd do some research into your old home. I'm sorry that your parents didn't believe you. Some people are just hard to sway. But, if you do want to figure out who Mary is (and I know that it scares you) you'll need to delve into the history of the house and the land. You could put a lot of mysteries to rest. But, only do it if you're comfortable with it. This was a very well written story. I'm very glad you shared it with us. If you do find anything out, please keep us posted.
scarystories
 
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
I think your story was scary. When you said you saw eyes staring at you through the window I knew that it must of been horrifing for you. Just like you my bed is'ent facing the window I have to turn around to look out. And every time I turn aroud I think there's going to be someone standing out side my window. When you said the thing about mary that could be eathier two things. It could of been the name of the taxi drivers aunt. Or they could of ment it was bloody mary 😨.And the ghost or spirt that would follow you was problby be the aunt of the taxi driver. And she missed her house or couldn't let go of it so now that you live in it she problby thinks that your her. Or something like that and follows you around to get you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: