You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dormitory Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Dormitory Ghost

 

I attended school at a university in SW Ohio, and my college boyfriend and I lived in the same dorm for a year. I'll call him Bentley. He was a Resident Assistant, and they moved into the dorm several days before the other students. (There were 6 RAs total in the building, 3 on the women's side, 3 on the men's.) A few other students also moved in early for other reasons, including me. There were maybe 12-15 students total in the dorm that week, instead of the hundreds who would move in the following week.

One night, the majority of folks staying in the dorm ended up congregating in Bentley's room, about 8 people. He was the basement Resident Assistant on the men's side. Directly above his room was the first floor RA's room, then directly above that was the top floor RA's room. Neither of the other two male RAs were in the room with us, having their own pursuits.

A dorm that's nearly empty is eerie by night, all those dark untenanted rooms behind corridors of closed doors... So naturally, we started telling ghost stories. People began huddling together or moving so their backs were against the wall -- you know how that deliciousness goes.

About 2 am, the door to the room above us slammed. Everyone jumped a foot, and one girl screamed a little. My boyfriend said, 'Calm down, that's just Andy coming home [first floor RA], he was hanging out with his girlfriend tonight.' Everyone relaxed.

We kept talking, then began to notice that Andy was being fairly noisy: opening and closing his drawers hard, rolling his closet door with some force. (It was one of those old-school heavy wooden doors that rolls along a metal track, and had an instantly recognizable sound.) We speculated that maybe he and his girlfriend had had a fight, which was almost funny because they were pretty much the two sweetest people on earth and it was hard to picture him mad. The noises soon subsided, so he must have gone to bed. We eventually dispersed to our own rooms for the night.

Next day...

Bentley, to Andy: Dude, you scared the s--- out of us last night.

Andy [laughing]: Yeah? How'd I do that?

Bentley: We were telling ghost stories in my room right when you came home and made all that noise!

Andy [suddenly unsmiling]: What noise?

You guessed it. He hadn't come home at all that night. He'd slept at his girlfriend's place. Whaaat! So off we ran to talk to Doug, the top floor RA. He was in his room that night, reading, and although he thought he was still awake at 2 am, he hadn't heard a thing. The RAs didn't have access to each other's rooms, so he couldn't have gotten into Andy's room even if he tried. (Andy said he had definitely left his room locked and it was locked when he came home.)

We conducted a sound experiment, having Doug go up to his top floor room, slam the door, open and close the dresser drawers loudly, roll the closet door hard, while we listened from my boyfriend's basement room. Again, this was still a quiet empty dorm, even in daylight. But we could hear his noises only very faintly and only because we were listening for them, even when he was being loud on purpose. It was not what we had heard, and he couldn't have been the source.

No one else had moved into rooms anywhere near the RAs' rooms, and the empty rooms were all locked, so it couldn't have been someone in an adjacent room, either. The noise had definitely come from Andy's room directly overhead, including the unmistakable sounds from *inside* the room at the closet/dresser area.

We know Andy wasn't pulling a fast one on us. He was a very serious, very kind person, and would have been quick to reassure those of us who were spooked if in fact he had come home. One girl was frightened about it for quite a while, and begged to be told it was a prank. But Andy's bewilderment was obviously genuine, and also he tried not to show it much, but the story made him (understandably) uneasy about his room.

That was the first of several incidents which we inevitably characterized as the [_______] Hall Ghost. My boyfriend was a very skeptical and grounded person, about as far as you can get from a group-hysteria type, but he witnessed all kinds of strange things, as well as listening to the stories the residents told him, and he swears to this day that dorm was haunted. We didn't experience anomalous phenomena in any of the other dorms we lived in during college, only that one.

Other hauntings by WillowWaly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WillowWaly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-26)
WillyWally,
This troyarn and I couldn't get on your email for some reason so am letting you know this way that I've finally responded to your post on my story, "Keepers of the Lodge". If you have anymore questions just let me know. Thanks and have a great holiday season!
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
I Am agree with Valkicry... By the way it's an interesting and creepy story... I can imagine your fear... Thanks for sharing
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
'Right here' should read 'right there' meaning the college town. I don't live in that town, it's probably 70 miles from where I currently live and I haven't been there for many years. Right HERE where I live now, there were many settlements both Native and European from earlier dates, but that's not the same place at all. Sorry about that. ๐Ÿ˜Š
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
valkricry said, 'People tend to forget, that sometimes hauntings come from the land and not what stands on it. Is it possible that at some point something else was there before the dorms?' -- Oh no, I realize that what was there before versus what is there now is a different matter. But no, nothing was there beforehand to the best of my knowledge. The building is right on the edge of a wooded area and was probably wooded itself before being built.

This area was probably virgin forest when the university was founded in the early 19th century. To the best of my knowledge there were no Native American or prehistoric Mound people settlements right here before the European-descended pioneers came (though there are many in the general wider region). Although, who knows? Maybe there was an ancient farmhouse here at some point, demolished later? The school is pretty interested in and detailed about its own history, though, and I think we would have heard of such a thing if it were so.

'Deliciously creepy story by the way.' -- I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was a highly interesting experience once we realized that upstairs guy had never come home that night. Only a handful of things that have have happened to me can I not explain away easily, and this is one of them.
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
zzgranny, to the best of my knowledge, yes it was always used as a dorm. I heard about 10 years ago that it had acquired another use, but I just looked it up and it seems to be a dorm again. I'm virtually certain it was a dorm for the whole 3-ish decades before I lived there.

Funny thing is, if there were weird or apparently-sourceless noises AFTER the students moved in, everyone would have just assumed it was students elsewhere in the building being student-y. What made this so notable (or, noticeable?) was how empty the dorm was at the time.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
People tend to forget, that sometimes hauntings come from the land and not what stands on it. Is it possible that at some point something else was there before the dorms?
Deliciously creepy story by the way. ๐Ÿ˜Š
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
And Facebook has crashed. Miracles, what have you done to piss off the gremlins? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
WillowWaly: I would think that a lot of the paranormal experiences in a dorm would have to do with residual energy as well. There's a lot going on in the lives of college students, after all! LOL All of those emotions coupled with the day to day stresses have to permeate the atmosphere. Was it always used as a dorm?
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
I should add, I don't know whether or not 'Andy' experienced more strange stuff in his room that year. He may have, but it would be like him not to tell anyone in case anyone fretted. I do know other rooms of the men on the basement side had weird things happen in them later that year, including stereos turning on by themselves at full blast, etc.
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
Tweed, haha! And exactly. Too often I've heard people talk about creepiness in new buildings (sometimes brand new, not even relatively new like this dorm!), or from new items, etc.

It makes me wonder exactly how much newness (or rather, oldness) has to do with anything paranormal. Maybe virtually nothing after all. I think too often we let ghostly stories or especially movies influence us, assuming a 'haunted' place or thing which is older must therefore have a nefarious or tragic history... But that's very Hollywood, and may not reflect reality. After all, not every haunted building is built over an old graveyard, or similar such cliches.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
Yes, and that that student is meeee!

Not really.

Hey Willow,

In the last few months I've been reading stories on here so many have ghosts who rummage through newly built dwellings. I don't know what this means, if it means anything, just something I've noticed. At least this one was polite enough not to do it while poor Andy was in there. If whoever it was wasn't trying to frighten you guys, I really wonder what they were up to, these noisy, nosey ghosts.
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
Miracles, thank you so much. ๐Ÿ˜Š I heard that dorm was re-purposed recently, but don't know if it's true; and at any rate, the story could still affect those who live or visit there, so maybe best to keep it mum.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
WillowWaly - you are right, we do try and discourage revealing specific addresses; however, there have been many times the name of the location has been disclosed, especially if it is a public place. But considering there are probably students still living in the dorm, it may be better to leave your story as is ๐Ÿ˜Š

I can just imagine one of our members being a student currently living there ๐Ÿ˜†
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-28)
I don't mind sharing the name of the university or the dorm, but my impression is that we aren't supposed to do that here. I'm new and slightly confused, haha, and I do see names and even room numbers of haunted hotels and so forth being provided; so if I have misunderstood, maybe the mods can let me know and I'll give the names.

One interesting point is that on a campus of beautiful old 19th century buildings (including the oldest dorms in Ohio, the oldest one built in 1828!), this dorm was 'new' -- maybe even the newest dorm -- built in the 1960s. So it had much less potential history than other buildings where Bentley and I lived, respectively, and nothing odd happened in those buildings. At least not that I can recall.

There was also a spot on the women's side of this dorm, a balcony, where I felt so uncomfortable I had to stop going there. I am not given to 'the vapours' in that sense very often. ๐Ÿ˜Š Maybe a handful of times in my 4+ decades of life. Also, I'm enchanted by balconies, porches, patios, terraces, and the like, so it's unusual that I would find this place ultimately unvisitable.

Months after I reluctantly developed this feeling about the balcony, a kind of indefinable menace, I discovered my roommate felt the same way, as did another of the women on the same floor. Nothing dramatic happened on the women's side during my stay there, at least that I know of, so who knows.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: