You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Flying Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Flying Ghost

 

Just recently married, my wife and I were visiting my parents' house. It was around 9:30 pm in the fall so it was completely dark outside. I went outside in the back yard by myself and jumped on the trampoline for maybe 15 minutes or so.

Before heading inside, I laid down on the trampoline to stare up at the starry sky. As I was laying there, I noticed something flying from over the house towards the backyard I was in. It was much darker than the sky so it was easy to make out. It seemed about human sized and was about 150 feet up. All of this happened very rapidly. It looked like it was just going to pass right over me and keep going...

As I was seeing it, I was telling myself that it must have been an owl. However, when it got to right above my position it seemed to stop. It then began coming down closer at me. I was completely frozen in fear. As it came down, I could see it seemed to be very billowy. Imagine the Grimm Reaper and his old and tattered cloak. I was shocked and unable to move and was just staring at this thing coming down towards me. It probably got about halfway to me before I snapped out of it and jumped up off the trampoline and ran inside the house.

This was about 10 years ago. I asked my wife last night what she remembers from that night after I went in the house. She said I came running in the house looking completely pale. I told her what I saw and was then very quiet the rest of the night... Probably processing what I had seen. I am still frightened to go outside by myself when it's dark outside. When I do I am always looking up to make sure nothing is there.

Other hauntings by TheCavalry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheCavalry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheCavalry (3 stories) (5 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2015-10-05)
This happened more than 10 years ago before the drone craze. I have already discounted this as a posibility. There was no wind that night. Also, the object was traveling in a straight line at the same speed you expect a bird to fly which is why I initially believed it to be an owl. It was not moving in a back and forth motion like you would expect a garbage bag traveling in the wind to do. When it stopped and started coming down at me, it was traveling down in a straight line. It was not falling the way a garbage bag would... That is to say it was not rocking back and forth as it came down. What looked like a tattered vestige is what was billowing as the air rushed past it as it descended. It made no sound. I've never consumed alcohol and never used any drugs other than aspirin or ibuprofin. I am a very analytical minded individual in the computer industry.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-03)
TheCavalry, your story is certainly intriguing. It would definitely be an experience that would stay with you.

Previous commentators have given you several excellent possible explanations that weren't paranormal. They could very well be right.

However, we can't rule out the paranormal. Did you ever research Native American stories of the region to see if anything matched what you saw?
mirandakellyamethyst (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-03)
Tweed that was mind-blowing! I'm going to research more on that
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-02)
Hi TheCavalry,

I'm absolutely baffled and fascinated by your encounter. The fact it stopped and came towards you suggests an awareness which reminded me of a rather morbid/humourous possibility.
Couple years ago I was watching a doco on 'ethical taxidermy', this is taxidermy without trophy hunting or any killing.
One of the taxidermists on the doco was an eccentric man from I think it was Germany. He had a hobby of stuffing any dead animal he could find and making them 'fly'. Like a model airplane! With motors and a remote control. His most recent 'flying animal' was his recently deceased cat. Yes, this was hilarious.
I'm not saying what you saw was one of his creations. But there is a subculture of people who make 'flying objects'. Not their pets, pretty sure he's unique in that. But flying 'non organic' models. I can imagine someone would attach a camera to one of their creations and attempt to scare people with it 'for fun'.
It's just the 'awareness' you described that got me thinking of this. Look into any subculture 'clubs' in the area you saw this in. You may find some joker's website who makes human shaped flying objects.

This is one of those experiences where no one will ever know unless they experience it them self. Did you see a face or any limb movement which suggested *it* had conscious control over itself? I'd really love it to be some odd ghost you saw!

I don't blame you for still looking up at night, I'd be the same! I love weird encounters like these. Thanks for sharing!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-02)
I was wondering if your vision was soundless! I had the instant recollection of a Youtube video of a floating something filmed in Mexico called La Bruja... I also remember a Youtube film of a floaty like thing that really did look like it was cloaked although I can no longer find it. Fascinating that it hovered over you, that takes a balloon draped in a garbage bag (what I believe La Bruja video is of) out of the running in my opinion. Good story and thanks for sharing. Has me stumped, and, glad I wasn't there experiencing it!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
-2
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
And one question I forgot to ask if it's not too personal, do you smoke marijuana? That stuff will interfere with the filtration of light into shape.

Regards!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Just bagging together what Miracles and Rook have put forward is quite plausible. I'm not trying to dismiss your account and I'll offer you something to think about if you are really concerned about what you saw. Everything we perceive out there in the external world as matter, is nothing but electrical signals that travel through the lens of our eyes into the inner projection room of our brain, your eyes are responsible for transforming light by means of cells in the retina. The electrical signal reaches the sight centre of the brain where the brain basically determines what it's looking at. 99. 9 percent of the time it's shape colour and accuracy is consistent with everyone else's otherwise our evolution would have not evolved period. Occasionally if it's not sure what it see',s it can play tricks on you in the sense of what it conforms into shape, colour etc and I think in your case that's what happened. Or maybe you were picking up on something paranormal in the field, that's possible too.

Regards Daz
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
It's really hard to say if what you saw was paranormal or not. Lack of lighting would have made it hard to see any details. But, that doesn't make it any less scarier.
I once had myself scared silly because of a Dora the Explorer balloon playing peek-a-boo at my 2nd story window. 😐 In the dusk it really did look like it was 'something' and NOT a balloon!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Dementor!?!

LoL sorry couldn't help myself.

Miracles has a point... Everything 'normal' no matter how 'odd' must be considered before makeing claims things are of a paranormal nature.

Harbingers come in many different sizes and shapes... So if...IF...IF...BIG IF... This was paranormal what you saw may have been one...

Then again... World as Myth... A theory (by none other than Robert A. Heinlein) "World as Myth" which supposes that all fictional universes are equally real and, moreover, are accessible to one another via interdimensional travel. Maybe you saw through a 'window' into one of these...😉

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+6
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
TheCalvary - I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but I have to ask. Is there anyway this could have been a black garbage bag (industrial sized of course) caught in the wind?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: