You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Night Runner

Real Ghost Stories

Night Runner

 

I lived with my parents while attending college and was anxious to move into my own place after graduation. A friend accompanied me on an initial apartment search in an historic district in town, where I had always wanted to live. This area has brick streets and sidewalks overhung by ancient trees and lined by Italianate and other architectural styles of mostly brick homes from the 19th century.

We looked at several rentals that had potential, none of which quite fit my specifications. The last place, which the rental company almost didn't show us, was a large, old, brick, single-family home on the edge of the district, on a street with many businesses. As we walked in, I noticed my friend's excited expression as we entered the first large room, complete with fireplace and original dark woodwork. All the ceilings in the home were at least 12 feet and many of the home's light fixtures had been converted from gas. The windows were all original and very large. In the large kitchen was a huge, turquoise, deco-style refrigerator that looked like an artifact from the 1940s, but which still worked. The kitchen also included an attached laundry room that was probably added in early 20th century. A working toilet in the corner of the laundry room was the only, quirky item in the room, which also had a door to the small backyard, in addition to the door in the kitchen. The laundry room door was locked with a deadbolt that required a key from both inside and outside.

As we headed upstairs, we noticed that the stairway had two solid wood doors, one from the kitchen and one from the adjacent large room from which we had first entered the house. The odd part was the heavy, slide bolt locks on the inside or stairwell side of each of the doors. It appeared some former owner or tenant wanted to lock off the 2nd floor from the ground floor of the house. Aside from a mental question mark, we didn't give it much thought at the time.

Four bedrooms were found on the second floor, one of which was a nursery attached to the master bedroom. The bathroom, with a claw-foot bathtub, was on the second floor of the laundry room attached to the kitchen. The bathroom was accessed through the back bedroom, which basically made that bedroom a walkway, no longer suitable as a bedroom. The bathroom was as quirky as the laundry room below and oddly large enough to accommodate a spare sofa and coffee table once we had moved in. Talk about a conversation starter! The house had clearly been built before indoor plumbing. A look at the backyard confirmed this, with the home's original outhouse still standing, although the pit below long-since filled in for safety.

To my surprise, the friend who accompanied me wanted to rent the house with me. She said that the home "welcomed" her as we walked in. I had to admit that I also felt the positive atmosphere, but my friend had only tagged along on my apartment-hunting trip as company. I hadn't expected her to want to move. She admitted that she was surprised as well. We agreed, as our tour of the rental house ended, to sign a lease. More than thirty years later, we no longer live in that beautiful old place, but we are still friends and neighbors just a few blocks away.

I stayed a couple of nights in the house on my own before my roommate moved in. I have to admit to some goosebumps, but I left my small, black and white TV on to keep me company and to drown out any bumps in the night. Nothing weird or unwelcome occurred.

While moving in, we discovered a strange door in the floor of the cavernous basement, under the front room of the house. After retrieving a couple of flashlights, we discovered a surprisingly long, arched brick tunnel, apparently leading under the sidewalk and perhaps the street. The back wall appeared to have been hastily bricked in. Although it may have been used as a coal bin at one point, the tunnel appeared to be original to the house. I could find no specific reason for it and no evidence of it in the records of the home.

Within a few months, I met my partner, who also moved in. We all loved the place. I was amazed at my new partner's courage as he watched "The Exorcist" late one night, all alone, in the front parlor of the old house. He had never experienced anything paranormal and would gently poke fun at my stories.

One late night, after living there for about eight months, I was startled awake by the sound of heavy footfalls running down the long wood floored hallway, past my door, past our roommate's door (she had chosen the master bedroom) and down the long wooden stairway. The footfalls were loud and unmistakable.

I shot out of bed and made my way to my roommate's bedroom to find her in a deep sleep. I frantically woke her to ask for help to search the house for an intruder. The three of us divided up the house to make a quick search. I immediately made my way downstairs only to find that the laundry room door to the backyard was wide open. This door's deadbolt required a key to open and none of us had ever opened it. Even more startling was the fact that the bolt was still thrown, as if the door was still locked when it was somehow opened. I felt chills as I noted this.

I first closed and blocked the kitchen door to the laundry room so that the house wasn't still accessible to whoever had run down the stairs and apparently opened the door to exit the house. I frantically searched for the key to the deadbolt so I could lock up the house again. I knew we had a single key somewhere, but had to search through many drawers and cupboards to find it. The doors had all been re-keyed when we moved in, so it couldn't have been a former tenant. I finally found the key and locked the laundry room door to the backyard. No other doors or windows were open or unlocked.

We searched the basement with the weird tunnel and even checked the attic, which was also accessed by a narrow, twisting stairway through a doorway in the back bedroom, the same room that included the door to the bathroom. No intruders were found.

We locked off the second floor from the first, suddenly grateful for the odd, old slide bolts on the two first floor doors to the stairway, and everyone went back to bed. Just as I sat down on the bed, we all again heard the sound of heavy footfalls running the length of the second floor hallway and down the long stairway. My wide-eyed roommate stood in her bedroom doorway as I burst out to search the house again. This time the doors at the bottom of the stairway were both still closed and locked. I immediately checked the laundry room door, which was also still locked and also checked the basement, even though I knew the runner could not have opened and re-locked the stairway door bolts from the other side. It was just so strange and threatening that I didn't want to take any chances. Spooked and alarmed, we all finally returned to bed, with the stairway doors again securely bolted.

This time, just as I again sat down on my bed, I could see a light suddenly come on through the transom above my closed bedroom door. I knew the doors at the bottom of the stairway were still locked and that we had searched the house, so I no longer suspected an intruder, or a living intruder, anyway. With goosebumps covering my arms, I opened the bedroom door to see the light coming from the back bedroom, where the bathroom and attic doors could be found. I walked in to find the converted gas lamp on the wall next to the attic door shining brightly. I reached up and turned it off and returned to bed.

In the days following, I tried several times to turn the that electric light switch partway so that it would come on "by itself" but had no success. I even went so far as to check the wiring, which was fine. The light never spontaneously came on by itself again while we lived there.

We had many minor adventures in the time we lived in that house, but the night runner was the most dramatic and the only one experienced by several people. I would have immediately classified it as a residual event, except for the open laundry room door and the light switching on seemingly by itself, but those two details left me unsure.

Unaccountably, the place continued to feel welcoming, and I have only fond memories of our time there... Aside from the monumental heating bills, due to an old furnace and the drafty, original windows. The records of the place, that I could locate, provided a very mundane history with no clues to the identity of the night runner.

Other hauntings by Elrond

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elrond, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-08)
Hi BellaKellan04 - I honestly would never consider using the ouija board. You are unlikely to contact whatever you are trying to contact and more likely to invite in something you don't want and will regret. I have some experiences from my childhood that told me even then to always avoid the ouija.
BellaKellan04 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-07)
Is it weird that I have dreams of this exact situation? Not kidding... I feel like there is something always staring and watching me. Have you ever considered doing an Ouija Board to figure out what it was? Cause my friends and I may do this.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Miracles - It sure is a small world! I really miss the regular visits to that gorgeous part of the state.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
I'm in Lucasville at least a dozen times a week lol. I figured it was probably Chillicothe or farther north.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Hi Miracles - The house is several counties north of Scioto County, but it's the same river, of course. I am very familiar with Scioto County, though. My great grandparents lived in a little hollow near Lucasville. We would pass the state penitentiary on the way to see them. They both died when I was about 18 or 19 so I got to know them well. A former job also used to take me regularly to Portsmouth.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Elrond - Scioto River? Know that pretty well. Scioto County lol Not asking location, just found this ironic 😆
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Hi RedWolf - You are quite astute. The trapdoor to the tunnel was on the floor of the basement at the front wall of the house, under the parlor. It would not have been hard to conceal. The house is not near the Ohio River, but it is very close to the Scioto river. Several canals once ran through the city and one was a block or two away from the house and the tunnel points in that direction. I think you are onto something! Thanks for reading.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Elrond
How far away from the Ohio River are you? If read this correctly you found the tunnel under the basement. Correct? If this is correct that strange door could be easily concealed. Making it perfect for both the Underground Railroad and Rum Runners.
Regards
Red
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Thank you Tweed!
I've read you so many times, it feels like I know you well. The time in that house is still magical for me. I too wish I knew where the runner was headed and why. Since he or she apparently exited from the very back of the house, unseen by any eyes watching from the street, I can only assume he was trying to escape. It's one of the many secrets that only the house remembers.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Elrond,

What a magnificent house, it sounds simply breath taking! I'm with Dreamer I would've wanted to take a peak too lol. I'm lost for words about the runner, no idea what they were up to or what inspired them to run. Kudos to you for putting all the pieces together with details on the house layout and ruling out residual. Man, I would love to know what that runner was up to. Not to mention have a good old chat with anyone who ever lived there! I know that's asking too much now, but goodness just think someone might have seen the runner at some stage, what an experience!

Prohibition, of course! Another likely scenario. 😊

I love this story and you've told it so well. Thanks for sharing!
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Mimi91, Otteer and Dreamer01 - Thank you for your kind comments. I must agree that the reason for the night runner's hasty exit and the strange features in the house could be due to any number of things. The house certainly saw a lot of history, including the closing of nearby breweries so prohibition could well have played a role.
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-04)
very much enjoyed reading your account. I think I would have been severly tempted to bust down that other wall and peekaboo into there.
Thanks for sharing 😊
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Excellent story, I wish I could write as well as you but my mind gets all a twitter and it it shows in type lol. I thought of the underground railroad too, but it seems too blatant, tunnels were often indiscernible in homes for obvious reasons. However, if it originated as a underground railroad tunnel, in later years it could have been converted to a storage tunnel for perishables and ice or possibly there was a business in this home's family that this tunnel connected to. During prohibition bootleggers often ran businesses in their homes, some with tunnels linked to the outside for quick escapes or discreet access. Have seen some cool pictures of bootleggers tunnels and most are brick lined and run from the basement. What ever the tunnel was for, there was history in that house and just maybe, a lot of action! Could have been a card room down there or a speakeasy. The runner would have a place in that kind of home and deadbolts to limit access to the living areas would be desirable. What fun trying to figure this one out!

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more!
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Your story is so interesting! I hope you'll share some of the minor adventures you mentioned.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Thank you Silentwings and Argette - We often talked of breaking through the hastily bricked wall at the end of the tunnel to see where it lead. The basement was quite spooky, though, so we never managed to work up the courage to carry it out. It could easily have hidden someone or something.
Argette (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
What a well-written account! I saw everything you intended me to see. Hands down one of the best stories I have read on this site.

The tunnel could certainly have been part of an attempt to shelter or hide someone, or even move something - illegal booze, perhaps.

I want to know more, Meanwhile, thank you for the time you put into sharing this with us.
Silentwings (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Such an intriguing read, and it definitely sounds like an underground railroad. I probably would have been the nutty one who would have followed the tunnel to see where it ended up. Thank you for sharing this.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Miracles and Creepa99 - I think you may be right about the Underground Railroad. The house would have been new just before the Civil War so the timing is right. The runner was in a terrible hurry, as if to escape so the scenario fits.

Thank you for your kind comment, Miracles!
Creepa99 (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I agree with miracles it possibly was part of the underground railroad.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Elrond - the only thought running through my mind while reading this is that the tunnel was part of the Underground Railroad and the footsteps were related to that.

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed reading it 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: