You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Mysterious Breathing

Real Ghost Stories

The Mysterious Breathing

 

I just finished watching a ghost hunting documentary, which always leaves me in deep thought and paranoia about the strange experience I had as a teenager... I'm hoping it can be explained.

I was 12 years old (I'm 22 now). It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, and as usual I was sitting in my room (the same room I live in now) on the computer playing neopets, that was pretty much all I ever did.

My parents and brothers went somewhere, and I could've gone with them but I was glued to the computer so I stayed. It was the only time I ever remember being home alone as a kid. Then it happened. I heard breathing, slow and deep as if somebody was sleeping. I listened for a minute, then got up and started walking around the house to see if maybe one of my brother's friends was here.

There was no one. Just me, my computer, and whatever was breathing! I couldn't believe it. It was loud, clear, and unmistakable, but every time I walked towards where it seemed to be coming from, it sounded like it was coming from somewhere else.

Somehow I always thought of it as an old man. The strangest part about the whole experience is that there was a complete absence of fear, despite me being very scared of stuff like that. As it was happening I was wondering why I wasn't afraid. It wasn't threatening or intimidating at all, in fact, it felt kind of peaceful!

After I confirmed that I was indeed alone, I went back in my room and continued my business on the computer. The creepy breathing continued for about 10 more minutes and eventually stopped.

The fact that it happened at such a rare occasion while I was home alone made me feel like it had been watching me for a while. I never had another paranormal experience again, but I'm scarred for life. Every time I'm alone, I feel like I'm being watched and fear that I'll see or hear a spirit. It keeps me from sleeping at night...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, snowxwhite, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Regulus (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-22)
This happened to me at a similar age under similar circumstances.
That was back in '84 and it hasn't happened since.
You never forget it, but it's easier not to think about over time.
snowxwhite (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-10)
Thanks for your comments...

The fact that it didn't scare me actually creeped me out even more...

And yeah I told all my friends and family and they basically didn't seem to care or believe me except for my little brother, he claimed that he heard the same breathing every time he was there alone, but I didn't believe him because I felt like he would've already told me...

I'm definitely fearing the unknown; I guess I've seen too many scary movies.

I don't understand why a ghost would come and breathe in my ear
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-08)
Hi snowxwhite, welcome to YGS. I agree with Val. It is the fear of the unknown that is bothering you and as Val advised, stop thinking about it when you are alone.

Quite difficult to comment about your experience. Did you share it with anyone of your family members when they returned? If so, what was their reaction? I feel that it could be residual. But can't be sure due to lack of more information and since it was your only experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-07)
Well...I'm confused. You say that this breathing "... Wasn't threatening or intimidating at all, in fact, it felt kind of peaceful!" But then in the next breath you describe it as "creepy" and that it left you "scarred for life". My question to this would be why? I think perhaps it's just your fear of the unknown that upsets you.
Stop thinking about it when your alone. Concentrate instead on things that make you happy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: