You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: They Were Reaching For Me

Real Ghost Stories

They Were Reaching For Me

 

When I was a child my father was in the navy, so my family and I moved around alot. Between 1980-1981 is when my story began. At that point in time I was 3-4 and we were living in a house my parents had rented in Salt Lake City, Utah. I don't remember everything about living in this house, however there are certainly things I will never forget.

I cannot recall the exact day/time it all started. I, to this day, don't know exactly what to make of what I saw (even though I have been doing paranormal research/investigations for the past 23 years).

I don't know how to ease in to it so I will just say it. Every single time I was alone in a room in this house I saw hands. Yes hands. Not floating hands or even just a set of hands. No, I saw all kinds of hands. Coming from every piece of furniture in whatever room I may be in. Couch cushions, from under the bed, from kitchen cabinets. They were everywhere. Always reaching for me, or so it seemed. I would be terrified and tried to make sure someone was in whatever room I entered.

Why just hands? I don't know and not sure that I ever will. I never told anyone about the hands until years later. My mom would often tell me stories of my imaginary friend named Sandy. After she came around, we always played together and I even began to name all my dolls Sandy. I saw a blue sailor dress one day and told my mother that is the kind of dress Sandy always wore. I don't remember Sandy, but oh how I wish I did.

I also can remember times seeing my father drunk and abusing my mother. A side of my father I had never seen before. Something that I will never forget as well. Something like that will scar a child.

When I was about 19 my mother and I were talking about a scar over her eyebrow (a gift from my father). I remembered the night it happened and can picture everything clearly in mind. Suddenly it hit me, I was picturing the living room in that house in Utah. I asked my mother if the beatings and my friend Sandy all happened in that house and sure enough it had.

So I finally told my mother about the hands. She thought I was crazy at first. She kept saying that I must have had a bad dream about the house and was just remembering it incorrectly. She was wrong. During our stay in that house I would put my pillow in the hallway and sleep with my head outside of my room and my body on the inside. I did this so I didn't have to see the hands, so that I could actually sleep. I asked if she remembered me doing that and she did... But could never figure out why.

I wondered if the owner of the house had shared with my parents any history of the house. That is when she revealed that upon moving in the owner had told my parents that one of the bathrooms may have blood stains, as the previous tenants had sacrificed animals in it. Sure way to either leave something sinister or stir up activity.

My opinion, it was the house. The hands I saw, Sandy, my father's sudden personality change. My mother told me that when they moved into the house my father began to drink heavily, and beating on her. Upon moving out of the house my father promised he would never drink and/or hit her again... And he never did.

I don't know if the previous tenants left this behind as they moved, or if they went through strange happenings as well. One thing I have no doubt, is that Utah has its own little Amityville Horror house.

Other hauntings by HunterOfGhost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HunterOfGhost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Greetings, Hunter:

I'd first like to echo Rook's message (we often come to similar conclusions through research, but our approaches are from opposite ends of the spiritual spectrum!). Portals and Thresholds are transition points: natural boundaries, such as rivers, are too. They often act as limitations on the movement of specific types of paranormal events; this is not an absolute statement, it's more a traditional generalization. Sleeping in/on transition points was seen for centuries as a dangerous behavior, as one may be taken away by fairies, goblins, specters, etc., but I see no reason that such a location (sometimes referred to as "betwixt and between") couldn't act as a protective barrier, also as you would be within two differing domains. I thought your childhood instinct to be in two physical locations at the same time was highly commendable original thinking!

The best piece of advice which Maria gave was almost certainly "I would encourage you to seek therapy to work through some of the residual harm from these experiences and for you to pray for Sandy, now that you no longer live in that house." The only reference which I recall about demons' ability to remain on the physical plain if they corrupt human souls was C. S. Lewis' allegorical novella, "The Screwtape Letters." The references to Hell in the Christian versions of the Bible are derived from St. Jerome's Vulgate translation, in which he assumes that "the lake of fire" in the Revelation to St. John the Divine, and "Gehenna" are the same location; Gehenna is, in fact, a valley in the Southern environs of Jerusalem where unrighteous persons were cremated, thus denied the right of a traditional Jewish burial. However, Gehenna left open the possibility of God's forgiveness for the apparently-wicked individual. The Jewish idea of "Hell" is much more like the Catholic "Purgatory" than anything else. The Devil was added in later, too, thanks to St. Jerome's mistranslation the prophet Isaiah corroborating the pre-existing unofficial inclusion of the Assyrian/Persian mystical figure "Sathaan" who also shows up in Jewish mysticism, not Judaism.

All of that said, pray as you see fit; don't worry too much about the deceased's souls, as that's God's business.

Take care,
-Biblio.
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Rook- I have no memory of Sandy at all. Knowing what I do now, I wish I did.
I am not familiar with Celctic culture or the Catholic faith as I attend a non-denominational church that actually leans a little more toward Penecostal when in worship, if that makes sense. We don't study Purgatory, however everyone has their own beliefs and religions and do not dismiss or refuse to recognize that even if it is not what I believe in. I am a pretty open minded person and will consider some things but not all things.
I have not yet tried to research anything that Maria mentioned so I appreciate the link and the findings you shared.
If you feel that is where my parents kept the liquor, then you may very well be right.
My father and I are very much alike. Very open minded, free spirited, almost a bit of a hippie-ish type of vibe. I feel that yes my father was more open minded to things of that nature and I will explain why.
My father once told me that he saw my grandfather (my mothers father) after he passed away. My father was overseas when he passed and didn't get to say good bye. My father was mowing grass for my grandmother (mothers side) and something caught his attention. He looked to the end of the drive way and my grandfather was standing there waving at him. It didn't scare him and he just felt my grandfather was saying his good bye
My mother was a believer, a few years before she got sick and passed, she was an investigator on my paranormal team. So as she got older she became more open minded. When she was young, she witness things with a family member (story to be shared later) that scared her and so I feel like she closed her mind to things out of fear.
I have heard of the whole portal thing but not sure how I feel about that. It makes sense as you compared them to doors and windows I just don't know that I feel portals are needed. If that doesn't make sense I will gladly explain.
I have enjoyed your thoughts, opinions, and feelings about my experiences and I do hope you will read my other stories as/if they are published and continue to share those.
Thanks
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
saher- I am not positive that it was indeed black magic but as I expressed to callmeD, my opinion is that in this case I do not feel the animal sacrafices were used in any good way.
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
callmeD- Of course that is not always the case and that is exactly why I never stated that it was. I simply said that in my studies of the paranormal and demonology, the scaraficing of animals were MOSTL LIKELY related to that. Since we are not dicussing religion or other cultures who embrace this I did not feel I needed to explain that it is excepted in other aspects. I was asked to explain why I felt my experiences and the animal sacrafices connected and I did just that. In this case where these things went on in the house and afterwards paranormal things were experienced, my opinion is that the animal sacrafices were not used in a religious or good manner.
callmeD (3 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Just adding my two cents. Animal sacrifices isn't always a sign of black magic or evil.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Hunter,

Thank you for the reply...let's see...

The Furniture: I asked about this because the more things in the home that were 'NOT' your Families may have a BIG influence on what was being experienced. I believe the 'old metal cabinet' was what is called a Larder Cupboard... If it was in the home before your Family moved in then...IF, IF, IF... Animal sacrifice truly happened in the home before you moved then this may...MAY...have been where the ritual items were kept. However after you moved in my 'gut' tells me this is where your parents stored the liquor... (I may be wrong... But I have to be honest when I get these 'feelings'.)

Sandy: First 'friend' met after moving in. Sounds like the spirit of a child that is... Or was... Somehow attached to the home and with you being young and sensitive so she reached out to 'play' with you... Just to confirm... No 'BAD, SCARY' memories of her?

The Drinking: Was your Father the 'more spiritual' of your Parents? Or at least more 'open' about it. It's my opinion that he was somehow open the negative energy that remained in this house (animal sacrifice or not) and this led to his heavy drinking and 'abuse'.

The Hands: At the age you were I will go out on a limb and say they were reaching out trying to 'draw' you in... But Sandy was able to distract you some... A playmate that kept your spirits up... Made things 'fun'. The fact that sleeping 'between' rooms had two effects... Whatever was in the home was reaching out to 'Just You' and when you could see 'other people' it was unable to do so AND the mere fact that you were 'between' rooms provided some shelter... There is a theory that doorways and windows can act as 'portals' between the spirit realm and the physical realm. This is because they already are 'portals' connecting us from the inside of our homes to the outside world (I hope that makes sense). Because you were laying 'between' two rooms it confused the spirit. Just an odd thought I had when I read your experience.

Well that's my 'take' on things. I am glad you have Faith. Please continue to Pray, Worship and attend your Church's Services.
Now, please excuse me... I know you found comfort with some of the things PhD2B has stated... And yet...

PhD2B,

Admittedly the O/P has commented and said your advice and 'insights' have helped her see this experience in a different light... And this is good BUT... (there has to be at least one doesn't there...)

Your 'STATEMENT' at the end of your comment on this experience concerns me... Let me quote it so there is NO misunderstanding...

"Seeing hands or handprints in the Celtic culture has always been interpreted as a plea for prayer by souls who are in Purgatory."

In Christian Culture... Catholic Christian Culture in particular... Praying for the Souls 'Locked in Purgatory' is taught and based on the 'teachings' that those souls cannot 'cross over' without the 'intersession' of Prayers from the living.

Now for my 'BUT'...

Is your statement based on 'Celtic Christian' traditions? Something to do with 'seeing hands or handprints' is a plea from the dead; If so can you site books or provide links to said information?
I must admit I lost a wee bit of sleep last night trying to research this... I could find nothing in 'Celtic Christian' traditions (that I could find... In my books or on-line) that indicates what you speak of.

I did find some pre-Christian meanings however... (I have listed an example)

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/symbolic-hand-meaning.html

I found the below information, which matched what my own research over the years has provided (well basically the same...). This information is about halfway down the page under 'Right-Hand and Left-Hand Symbolism' and is PRE-CHRISTIAN (as will be seen towards the end of this selection...)

"In the Celtic language of symbolism there are references indicating hand meaning in connection to power, rulership, and authority. I infer this from the experience of King Nuada who was dethroned from ruling his kingdom because he lost his right hand in battle.
It was a big deal. Without the hand, a king could be considered incongruent and unbalanced as kings were also judges. Good and balanced judgment was symbolically portrayed by the two hands. Later however, we learn King Nuada regained his command after one of his daughters gave him a silver hand which was animated by the help of Miach, a sage and healer.
Also in the ancient Celtic way of thinking (and countless others), the hand was symbolic of spiritual power. Further, hands were thought to harbor energetic power as we see invocations by Celtic gods and goddesses as well as Druids. "

(Spelling mistakes in the quote are actually from the quote as this was a 'cut and paste directly from the web page.)

So, in the interest of research and sharing can you please provide book titles and or links that support your Point of View? I find it fascinating that there are so many different views of the After Life with-in Christianity... Ranging from...

All Spirit Visitations are Demons because human spirits CAN NOT return... To views like you have presented... Lost souls reaching out from Purgatory requesting the Prayers of the Living to help them 'cross over' and of course things 'in between' the two. Not to forget the 'intersession' of the Saints and 'Church Mystic's'...It's just so confusing...

Respectfully,

Rook
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
HunterofGhost-That's sweet of you to clear my doubts. Thanks a lot 😊. So basically the people who stayed there were in to black magic right? As far as my opinion goes, I seriously hate people who use black magic to harm others out of their own jealousy... I know that because I am still suffering from a black magic done on me & my family. As the Black magic has been screwing mine & my family's happiness for almost 11 years now. Can someone please help me with the suggestions as to how can I get rid of this 'SHIT' forever?
😢
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Saher- Growing up I heard ghost stories and other stories about family members that I will share on here too. I thought for years the hands had to do with ghost. As I got older and started to do paranormal research and studies on demonology, I found that such things as sacrificing animals most likely had to do with the study of black magic, witch craft, devil worshiping, things of that nature.
When a person (s) get involved in things like that they invite things into the world. Things that people like you or I would never want to have anything to do with... Such as demons. I am not sure why I saw only hands but my opinion was that whatever these people were into was evil and when they moved, they left that evil behind and it had an impact of my family and I.
I hope this makes sense and clears up any confusion. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Thanks
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Maria- Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragment. I will probably take your advise about the therapy. I haven't told a lot of people about my experiences because with it being just hands I figured people would think I am crazy or making it up. I know a little about Purgatory and nothing about the Celtic culture, but I will be reading into both.
It is eye opening... The fact that you showed my I could take the experiences I had and see the good in them. The conquering of evil with love. Your words have actually made me feel a little better about it all. I feel lighter, if that makes since. Thank you for that.
I love to go to church and worship the Lord and I do pray a lot so I will also take your advise about praying for all the hands and Sandy.
Thank you again so very much for you words of wisdoms.
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Hey HunterOfGhost,

I loved the story, but have a question for you... What has hands to do with the animals killing? I am sorry but I can't relate to the things. Can you please explain? I would love to understand the things correctly.

Thanx. 😊
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Hey Rook. Thanks for taking time to read and concern yourself with my experiences. Now to answer some of your questions. I had to call my sister about the furniture because I couldn't remember and both my parents have since passed on. Most of the furniture was ours but a few things were left. A couple of dressers, and some type of old metal cabinet in the kitchen. I am sorry I can't remember what that is called but it had cabinets on top of a small counter top and 2 cabinets underneath as well. I hope that makes some kind of sense to you.
Sandy came to me as soon as we moved it. As we were settling in, I was speaking of, and playing with her.
My father and mother both were social drinkers. Get together with friends and such. Over a short time my fathers drinking got more and more and his anger became as issue.
I wasn't sure what the hands wanted to do. I was scared at just the look of them and was terrified they would touch me. Even if it was just a finger tip touching my arm, I did not want them to touch me.
When I would sleep with my head in the hallway it was because when I was in my room and alone they would come out. When my head was in the hallway I could see the couch, and at nap time I could see my mom or whoever sitting there watching TV. My room was across the hall from my parents so at night time I could see into their room. I guess it made me feel like I wasn't alone and the hands would leave me alone... For the moment. I hope I have answered all your questions and if you have more, please do not hesitate.
MariaTPhD2B (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-15)
I have been taught that a demon will often coexist with a lost soul. Sandy may have been this lost soul. The demon comes to discourage people from praying for lost souls. The demon present in that house may have been responsible for influencing your father to drink heavily. This may explain why your father stopped when you moved.

Now, my theory of this has to do with how the LIVING teach the DEAD about love. Your mother demonstrated that love conquers evil, and your father demonstrated the power of human determination to change for the better. Even though this may have scarred you, it also gave you the foundation for seeing the power Love has.

I would encourage you to seek therapy to work through some of the residual harm from these experiences and for you to pray for Sandy, now that you no longer live in that house. If you really want Love to conquer evil, pray for the souls that may be trapped in that place. Once they are freed to pass over to Heaven, the demon loses and he is condemned to the underworld. Love wins.

Seeing hands or handprints in the Celtic culture has always been interpreted as a plea for prayer by souls who are in Purgatory. If you don't know about Purgatory, look it up in Google. It will make a lot more sense. Pray for each and every hand you saw. You must be a very lovely human being to have this gift. The hands are only visible to the most pure of heart!

God's Blessings to you!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-15)
Hunter,

Thank you for the reply. Did the home come furnished? Or was ALL the Furnature your Families?

I am trying to wrap my head around this...

So...just the Facts...

Father began drinking and became abusive upon moving into this House...

You began to see 'hands'...pale, extreamly 'white' hands... Reaching out from 'every piece' of furnature in the home. This only happened when you were alone. Extra Fact to note... If you slept across the threshold of two rooms you did not see the hands.

Imaginary Friend named Sandy...

Finally...

"...the owner had told my parents that one of the bathrooms may have blood stains, as the previous tenants had sacrificed animals in it."

Questions:

Did your Father start drinking (and the rest) BEFORE you started seeing the hands?

Did you 'find' your Imaginary Friend Sandy, before or after your Father started drinking (and the rest)?

Other than 'fear' and being 'creeped out' by the hands were there any other feelings you rememeber about them? Any 'impressions' on what they may ahve been trying to do?

I.E. Capture you... Hold you in place... Hold on to something lost... Grab and touch soomething physical? (I hope that makes sense?)

Well, it's a start. Thanks for shairng this with us.

Respectfully (with a wee bit of Caution),

Rook
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-15)
rookdygin, no they weren't like that. I didn't see arms, only hands from the wrist to the finger tips Also, they were white, not like they had white gloves on or anything, more like they didn't have any color or really pale.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-14)
Ummm did they look like this?

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agysfSxZivg

(Hope that link works... If not search youtube for 'hands or arms from ceiling')

P.S. This vid was proven to be 'FAKE'...

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-13)
I absolutely love that movie but have to admit the first time I saw it the hands creeped me out 😆
HunterOfGhost (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-13)
Miracles51031- I have heard of the movie. Don't think I have ever watched it. Not sure that I want to now though...lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-13)
HunterofGhost - I definitely am not making fun of you but I have a question. Have you ever seen the movie "Labyrinth" with David Bowie? That's what the hands in your story remind me of.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: