You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Heat Wave Victim

Real Ghost Stories

Heat Wave Victim

 

This is actually a story that happened to my uncle Jim, not me quite some time ago. I just discovered this site recently and I just wanted to see someone else's opinion on the matter. When I would visit my uncle as a child, something about his apartment made me feel uneasy. It wasn't until I was a little bit older and after he had moved out that he told our family he thought it had been haunted.

During the mid 1990's my uncle Jim rented an old apartment building here on the south side of chicago. If I am dating this right, this story happened in either 1995 or 1996. During this time, the summers here in the midwest had become incredibly hot and dry and chicago suffered extreme heat waves. People were bussed to shelter areas in the city just so they could spend the days in air conditioning and not suffer.

Since uncle Jim's building was very old, it had no central air conditioning unit and tenants had to either buy their own window units or go without. Uncle Jim's landlady happened to be a pretty stubborn elderly woman who refused to go to the shelter areas and or to buy a unit of her own. Sadly, she wound up passing away from the severe heat.

About three nights later, the heat was just as bad as ever and since uncle jim didn't have much money at the time, he was sleeping with all of the windows open due to his lack of an air conditioner. All of a sudden, he woke up because his room had become freezing cold. He stuck his arm out the window and could feel the extreme temperature difference between the outside and the inside. Uncle Jim was convinced that his landlady was trying to prevent anyone else from getting harmed by the extreme heat.

After that, he often reported hearing noises in the attic and something passing him on the apartment stairs. Do you really think it was the land lady trying to protect people?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JessicaDanger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Could be anything, but the timing seems to suggest it was the landlady... And it seems she was a nice one (and cold spots seem to indicate paranormal activity, so maybe she was just visiting folks she liked). Very nice story to read. Thanks!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
I think it was her trying to help your uncle by not letting him sleep in a hot room, and didn't want the tenants to pass like she did, thanks for sharing the story. 😊
bardsidhe (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
if this is the case, then I think this might be the first case I have read about where a Ghost has directly interacted with someone to protect thier well being...

there are many stories where phantom hands move things etc, but that can be 'rationalised' by Involuntary Muscular Reaction, Road conditions etc, but this is truly out there...

the Spirit altering the temp of the room in a beneficial manner...

though it is known that the human mind can trick itself when the subject is under extreme conditions such as that which your uncle was under... It is a shame that no record of the Temp was made in the room though I doubt your uncle was worried about that
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
KimSouthO basically said it all. Either way, I do believe it was his landlady causing the icy cold blast, as protection or just because she was there. Thank you.
JessicaDanger (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
thank you all for your feedback! I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I'm a college student and very busy this time of year. I think this is a wonderful site and I look foreward to reading many more great stories!
Lots of Love,
Jessica
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-09)
I think it is definitely possible that it was the landlady. She didn't want to leave her place in life and now doesn't want to leave it after death. That was pretty nice of her to give him a little cold air during that heat wave! Thanks for sharing your story. 😊 -Shelby ❤
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Your dates are correct. I am from Chicago and I can remember those days vividly. I also have a story about an apartment in the northwest of the city where somethings happened as well.
You will read the story soon!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
It is possible she was looking out for others, however, it is also said that sometimes when an entity manifests there are cold spots becuse they use the energy in the area to manifest, again that I just a theory.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
Any thing is possible. Maybe once she passed she realized that she had been to stubborn or greedy and needed to protect those still within the walls of her building. Thanks for the story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: