You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Malevolent Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Malevolent Shadow

 

I just had gotten a job in a software company and had to shift to another city. I was a complete stranger and didn't know how to survive in a completely unfamiliar environment. Luckily, I made a few friends who helped me settle down. I was happy as I thought nothing could go wrong now.

My friend, let's call her Sue, wanted to move out of her dorm and have her own place. We all tried really hard to find her a house within her budget. But it was an expensive city, so it was tougher than we thought. After a couple of days, she came with a pamphlet of a house which was big and was in her budget. It was weird, because the house looked way out of her price range, but we ignored it.

I and one of my friends went with her to have a look at the new house. When we reached there, I started feeling uneasy. The air felt heavy. This was my first warning. Sue saw this and told me to wait in the car. I was sure something was wrong but I couldn't tell her because she really wanted to buy a house. When they came out, she told me she'll buy that house. I forced a smile. I just wanted to get away.

After two days, we helped her move in her new house. It was not easy for me. I always felt someone eyes on me. One Saturday, we were coming out of the house after moving some stuff. As we were coming back, my friend asked Sue if she will be okay living alone. She snapped at him telling him that she's not a kid. I was surprised, because she never got angry at anyone. I ignored it by thinking maybe she was stressed. We, then, got inside the car and went back.

She successfully moved into her new house. She was happy and we were happy because of her. But things started changing after a few days. She started looking really tired, she lost her charm, became more quite and sometimes talked to herself when she was alone. We were worried, so we decided to spend a night with her. I reluctantly joined them because I didn't want to enter that place, but on the other hand I wanted Sue to be happy.

On Sunday, the five of us went to her house. The moment she opened the door, I wanted to run out that place. I felt something really malevolent. I was in so much shock that I failed to notice everyone had already gone inside. I finally looked at Sue, her eyes looked blank. I went in and hugged her, when she whispered she wanted to see me for so long. I said we see each other every day. She just nodded and went to the kitchen. It was really weird. I even refused to eat dinner and gave some lame excuse for it that seemed to work. Later, Sue came to me and insisted to sleep with her in her room. I turned down her offer and said I would sleep on the couch. She didn't look happy but I couldn't have cared less about that. Seems insensitive, but my first priority was to get out of that house.

We all went to sleep but sleep refused to come to me. I got up and looked around. Everything was creepier than it seemed. I saw everyone sleeping soundly. I saw light coming out of Sue's room. I decided to take a peek. I saw her talking to the wall. She was saying something I couldn't understand. She was talking to her shadow. Then I saw something that pushed me off the edge. It was not her shadow. After I saw that, I tried to wake everyone. But nobody woke up. So, I ran for my life. I never even looked back. I took a cab after I realized I had left the house far behind. But I didn't go home. I went to my neighbor's house. They didn't ask me anything because I was shivering with fear. I requested them to let me have an idol of lord Hanuman. That night, I didn't sleep at all.

The next day, I was expecting to get calls from my friends, but nobody called me. I got worried but I went to my home, got ready and went to work. I talked to my boss and requested him to transfer me to where my parents live. He asked me why and I made another excuse that seemed to work. After a couple of hours, I saw my friends come to the office. They were looking really tired. I asked one of them why they didn't call me. But he didn't say anything. Sue was not in the office. I felt relieved, but I was concerned about my friends.

After a month, I got my transfer order. I was happy to finally get away from that place. Sue never came to the office for a few weeks. My friends got better after I advised them to stay away from Sue and her house. It was not an easy thing to do, I wanted to help. But I was scared for my life. After some weeks, we came to know that she hanged herself.

I came to live with my parents after that. Luckily, nothing creepy happened. No nightmares, no waking up fearing for my life. But the insanity that happened that night stuck with me.

Other hauntings by suman_4141

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, suman_4141, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

itsdan4u (23 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-23)
Hi Suman
Your narration is really riveting mainly due to the way you have expressed your fears. Your actions at the time of the event and your vivid description tells me that you are way too sensitive to these entities which influences your behaviour a lot and that is why I won't blame you for leaving a friend behind... Keep yourself protected, stay safe.
Paranoid_believer (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-15)
What a sad story! In my honest opinion, I think you should have helped her. Under normal circumstances,'Sue' was your friend and 'a friend in need is a friend indeed' regardless of the fact she was speaking to a spirit. Running away is partly understandable but it only increases your guilt. I hope you have learnt from it and try harder if ever something like this should occur again, may her soul rest in peace!
With respect...PB!
Rahulmoddy (3 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-25)
This made me rage. You say she was one of your friends in a place where you were alone. Yet when that same friend got herself in perill, you were the first to leave her alone. Not only that but even had the audacity to advice your other friends to stay away from that poor girl. I am not the one who hates. But you are someone who is anything but friend. You even senced it but didn't even once talked to her about it. Moreover when your doubts were taking shape, at least you could have told your other friends so that they could somehow find help for her or talk her out of the house finding another place. I am just sorry about all this that could have been avoided if someone called a 'friend' was involved, not you
KaviB (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-25)
If I were at your condition I would've definitely tried to get "Sue" out of it but I can only imagine the amount of fear you've experienced at that moment. It's hard to function normally anyway out of too much fear but you did try to wake others up. Anyway, what's gone is gone. It's best to not dwell over it and feel guilty. Just try to help people in the similar conditions at future maybe? This is scary but God's always there for us when we need them.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-24)
Hey Suman... This is a sad story... I know your fear but you've at least tried to her out... Never mind it's a horrific story
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-24)
Hi suman_4141, I know it is from your past but I agree with my friend Rook. I agree it is difficult to confront our fears and get over it. But now that it is over, you should try to confront your fears and try to help others. On this occasion, as someone advised, you could have contacted the previous owners, had some discussion with your frineds and even Sue, tried some means of getting her out of the house or at least to drive away the negative entity or spirit. If you are sensitive, it is always better that we should use it to help others. In future, if something happens that way, please do help if someone is in a bad situation.

By the way, in which city did it happen and where? Can you please share it with us.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Fariya (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
Oh my God I feel so bad for her. I think you should have discussed about this with your friends and made Sue get out of her home and you guys should have found the previous owner and asked him about the reality of the house. Sue could have been saved. Now that you have learnt this make sure you don't repeat this. Thank you for your story:)
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
I am the captain of my ship,
The master of my destiny,
I sail the seas of life,
There are more than I care to sail on, riding the waves, seeking that shore that I will never touch for ever more, to see that land ahead, reaching out, that rocky shore in my stead.

😆 😆 🤔
saranyadhanesh (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
Dear Suman.

I Cant believe you let your friend die... And advised other friends to stay away from her...😕 🤔

You were there nearly one month you could have helped her... I know, what happened is happened but life is precious...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
suman,

Thank you for replying. As I stated I understand why you did what you did.

This is something from your past and all you can do is learn from it.

Thank you for shareing.

Respectfully,

Rook
suman_4141 (7 stories) (29 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
rookdygin: She did it afterwards. Because everyone saw "Sue" was alive when they came to office the next morning. I know what I did seems harsh because I literally didn't do anything to help. Partly, I was scared that the thing will take over me. I am sensitive, and this makes me really vulnerable. I shouldn't just say I didn't have a choice because I did, but chose not to do anything. Just because I was scared. 😭
suman_4141 (7 stories) (29 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
strangelife: No need to be sorry. What I did was rude, I agree. But I was too scared to do anything. I always thought if I tried to help her, maybe whatever that was would've gotten inside of me. Maybe if I had professionals to help me, that would be a different thing. But I was too scared.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
First question... Did 'Sue' hang herself that night and no one realize it? Or did she do it soon afterwards?

(The rest of this is going to sound harsh... Apologies in advance...)

One of the hardest things to do is conqure our 'flight or fight' instinct. I completely understand why you fled when confronted with this situation and yet it seems that 'Sue' knew you were a sensitive... And that by being one that you may have been the one to help her... She reached out to you... Asked you to stay in the room with her and you chose not to... Then when you realized she was 'speaking with a spirit' you ran... (understandable...and yet...) leaving her to deal with a bad situation alone.

Running from things that scare us is natural... Confronting our fears and helping others can define us a humans.

Respectfully,

Rook

(Or is this just a Holloween Story?)
strangelife (3 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
That's really a sad story... But I feel you should have tried to help your friend... Whatever she was facing or experiencing could have been stopped... Just my thought of course. Sorry if I seemed to be rude or hurt you in any way.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: