You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Papa And Freya

Real Ghost Stories

Papa And Freya

 

This event occurred over the course of several months. Being in the military I had moved to Kansas the year prior and decided to change houses when my first rental home's lease ran out.

We found a house that was slightly smaller than the one we had been in before, less yard, but in a quiet street. When I say quiet, I mean nearly deserted. Of the 9 houses on our street, 4 are occupied. All the rest belong to an elderly couple that use all but the building they live in to hoard things. You can see the clutter through the windows.

I had a group of friends over one day. While we were hanging out in my kitchen the only female in attendance got a vacant look on her face and locked on the building next door which she could see outside the kitchen window. She very softly said that the building was making her uncomfortable and was frightened by it.

Her comment caught my attention. Since moving in I had never really been able to relax. I always felt like the windows were watching me. After this I started to notice strange things my daughter started doing.

My daughter, Freya, was 2 years old at the time but spoke well enough she could communicate ideas clearly if with limited words. She began running away from windows at all hours of the day, screaming and flinging herself at me. When asked what was wrong she would explain that Papa scared her.

Papa is the name she used for my father-in-law who lives with us. This would always happen when he was not in the room, but in another part of the house. The house is basically a tunnel with rooms off the left side of it and I knew that there was no way he was scaring her from outside the kitchen, being that it opened up to a small grass area on the right side of the house. Most of the time it happened he was at work.

What got to me the most is that it happened day or night, from windows or doorways, even the skylight. On several occasions while returning home she would stare at the house next door while I removed her from her carseat. When asked what she was doing she would tell me she was looking at him and point. There was nobody in the poor next door, and the front windows were boarded over.

As I came and went from the house I would see flashes of figures walking up and down our street, sometimes perched on branches in the trees. Always they were shadows, no features that I could tell, and would vanish if I tried to focus on them. In a handful of instances I would get hit with waves of dizziness walking through doorways outside, and on occasion inside my own home.

The worst moment was a day I was in her room. She hated staying in her room at night. Even with a nightlight we would wake up to her sleeping on the couch huddled under a blanket.

So while I was in her room changing her diaper I felt a sense of unease but suppressed it so I could get her cleaned up and in some clothing to go to the store. I felt something, a slight breeze, brush against the back of my neck and expected it to be the curtain hanging behind me. Freya looked right past me, frowned, and said very clearly, "Papa, don't touch daddy."

It was shortly after this I renewed my practice of Wicca. I had pushed it far from my mind when I got out of high school, having a grudge against all religious beliefs thanks to a stepdad who let his faith in Christ drive him near mad.

I don't think Papa was malicious, but we took the time to cleanse and safeguard my house. My daughter no longer sees, or tells me about, the things she sees. I write this on October 20th. Over the last week I have had the figures returning in my mind, not my sight, but my daughter has not show any behavior changes and I think she is still safe.

Thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Puffin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Puffin (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
CelticHeathen: I am self studied, self taught. I took up an interest when I was in highschool and fumbled around for a while, got nowhere, and until these events started happening had pushed almost any sort of religion from my mind. I wish I could go over the details of what I did personally, but I think I would be writing a short novel in doing so. To sum up what I did; several weeks of rituals including every sort of published cleansing/warding/shielding I could find and a few I pieced together placed around my property and home. A friend of mine, the one who originally pointed out that it was stemming from the home next door, performed her own cleansing and shielding.

Redwolf; the woman who owns the house we are in isn't the same as the one who grew up here. Looking back she had said some things that could have lead us to believe there was something ify about the house next door, or the neighborhood. She might not have known or believed in paranormal possibilities, and thus it never was brought up.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-16)
I would put up black out shades on all of the windows so that if your daughter starts seeing things outside windows you can pull down the shades, especially in your daughter's room. If you know of any protective symbols you can paint them on the shades. My son put a Celtic symbol of protection on the door that leads outside from my daughter's room because of a problem she was having.
As Rook said keep shielding your house, car (s),and yourselves. My recommendation is to start looking for another place to live right before your lease is due to run out.
I don't know about your state but in New York there is a law that you must inform potential buyers and I suppose renters that their house is haunted. Look into your states law about this, you may be able to get out of your lease early.
Regards
Red
CelticHeathen (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-08)
Terrifying, I can't think of a worse scenario than having my daughter experience something that I am not able to follow her into.

I am curious as to where you learned the practice of Wicca and what sort of cleansing and safeguards were you able to put in place?

My own technical comprehension is basic, stuff I was taught by my family in relation to tribal ancestors and the tales of the other world. I don't quite believe in brownies and goblins, but I believe our fathers and mothers form an unbroken chain that we can access to some degree if we are on good terms.
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-08)
I agree with Rook. In fact, whatever spirit is there may have spurred the hoarders to hoard and buy the other houses for storage. It's probably a control issue for the spirit. Now it may be trying to drive you out so they can get the hoarders to buy the house you're living in. I don't think it would do any good to offer to clean up their stash. After a certain point for some people, collecting turns to hoarding and becomes an illness. That's how I'm seeing the situation. You handled the situation right and until your daughter mentions Papa again in a negative way, I would say you've taken care of the problem. When you get buggy or tired, shadows are around every corner. Just keep paying attention to your daughter's behavior.
The_Puffin (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-29)
I would not doubt that some of the areas nearby do have a negative or violent history, if not necessarily my neighborhood. The fort that I live outside of was used as a major caravan point when it was originally created, at least for those that needed a military escort.

Recently we found someone who lived in the home prior to us, that grew up there. They claimed to have heard weird thumping and banging around in the house at night and during some evenings or mornings. I didn't get to ask them personally if they ever saw anything.
Paranoid_believer (1 stories) (35 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-24)
In my honest opinion i'll implore you to remain conscious and do not let your guard down. Just because the activities have subsided doesn't mean they are gone. Stay vigilant and ask your daughter frequently if she notices 'papa' around or if she's seen something new. With respect...PB!
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
I'm going to guess that the other occupied homes around you have had some problems.

Something about your situation has been bugging me. It's odd that the couple was able to purchase that many houses so close together. Perhaps the street itself was already haunted and the previous home owners sold cheaply just to get out.

Kansas has areas with a very violent history. It's possible your neighborhood has a negative history.
The_Puffin (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
I don't have much contact with them honestly. The last few days I haven't seen them and I am thinking they might have migrated to a warmer climate for the fall/winter. As for redoing everything else, it is in the works. I have to organize a time with the house to myself which is difficult with four adults and a toddler in the home.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
I agree with Rook. You've got some scary things on your street. Do you think the owners' of the "storage" houses would let you do a cleansing or blessing on their properties?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Redo the Cleansing and Shielding.

The 'hoarders' may have collected things over time that had spirits attached to them and they now 'roam' the street you live on. Just my 'gut feeling' from the details you have shared.

Shield or Re-Shield your Home, Your Family and even your car.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: