You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Pointing Lady

Real Ghost Stories

The Pointing Lady

 

I have lived in Heber Springs Arkansas my whole life. Those of you who have never been there, it is a lake town. Full of small, old gas stations and farm land for miles. Mountains and bad reception is what it's known for. But beautiful lake.

Our camp is about 30 minutes from the nearest highway and then another 25 minutes to town. The road is narrow, a few old houses here and there. A few new ones. At the end of the road is a ramp so you can launch your boats. We are located in the middle.

Like I said before there are mountains and woods everywhere. Four wheeler trails are everywhere around camp. So of course in the fall and winter we have hunters. As usual we hear a occasional gun shots. But one winter something very disturbing happened.

A woman, walking distance to our camp, shot herself with a shotgun. She left behind a suicide note and two children. It was strange. Why would a woman that doesn't even live near here come here to kill herself?

About a year later I'm almost to camp. I'm driving my moms truck with our 3 dogs. I'm almost to the spot where she was found (when I mean spot I mean the area she was found in). I wasn't thinking about anything except getting to camp and running to the bathroom, wen all three of my dogs started barking out the passenger side of the truck. I slowed down and saw a woman just beyond the tree line. My headlights were barely reaching her. The disturbing part about this was she wasn't facing me and she was pointing into the woods. I was so scared and shocked to see a weirdo standing in the dark but as my lights passed her, she disappeared.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mspackman15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-02)
If a woman did die of a gunshot wound there, perhaps she was pointing to the woods to indicate there was a shooter in the woods who killed her, and she resents being labeled a suicide. It sounds like murder rather than suicide, in spite of the existence of a suicide note. As WillowWaly commented, it's not a common way for a woman to kill herself. Maybe she wants someone to investigate more. It is quite traumatic for remaining family members when someone commits suicide, and she may want the record set straight.
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-31)
"Why would a woman that doesn't even live near here come here to kill herself?" -OP

Good question. Although it does happen sometimes, usually women don't commit suicide via gunshot. I wonder if it could have been a staged homicide, especially if she wasn't personally familiar with the area.
Agua (4 stories) (61 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Reminds me of riding back with my parents from dinner out in the country when I was 14, I suppose. It was about to get night dark, but there was still a hint of summer's late light hanging close to the ground. About 1/2 mile from our house, which was out in the country, from the backseat I saw a blonde woman who looked to be anywhere from 17 to 26 walking right along the side of the highway - very shapely and attractive, walking in a 2 piece swimming suit.

I'd lived there for 11 years at that point and there was no one who lived around there that it could have possibly been. The closest swimming hole (a very popular one) was about two miles away from where I saw her walking. I'd never heard of anyone getting killed at that location, at all, so I guess it was just my imagination. I can see a 14 year old boy wanting to see something like that so badly that his mind invents it. 😁 😁 😁
JerryB (8 stories) (189 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Your story reminds me that years ago we lived close to a place, a field, where a woman's dead body was discovered. Apparently, according to news reports she was murdered somewhere else but the body dumped in the field I mention. I could not drive by that open field, day or night, without recalling the event. I never saw anything strange or out of the ordinary there but still had this creepy feeling just driving past the location, knowing what I knew from the news. If I'd seen a woman pointing towards that field, any woman, alive or otherwise, I'm sure I would have freaked out thanks to my mind making this into a personal event. Regardless, your story was short but to the point and left me with that same creepy feeling. If that was your intent -- it worked. Thanks.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
mspackman15- Welcome fellow "Heberite"! I finished high school in Heber Springs, years ago. Long enough ago that cell phone reception was not an issue 😆, but do come back to visit from time to time and do understand what you mean.

This was a creepy encounter but I am in agreement that one may not have to do with the other. As Rook asked, what year did the suicide take place?

Thanks for sharing! Oh, love the lake. I lived two coves over from Millers Mansion towards the golf course. Our house was actually across from the "spaceship house". In my time, well... We enjoyed the lake to it's fullest 😁
Whodat (42 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
You should go back with some other people and your dogs during daylight and explore the area she was pointing at. There may be something important there.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
You're assuming there's a connection between the woman you saw and the suicide. It's very possible there's no connection.

I believe you saw something, just not sure who or what you saw.
Caz (342 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Wow! What a creepy story! If I'd seen that, I doubt I'd have needed the bathroom afterwards! 😊 Thanks for sharing!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Not to discredit this 'experince'...it could very well have happened... But are there any newspaper articles or news 'links' as to the actually death of this woman?

It's hard to take an experience such as this at face value as it has ALL the trappings of an urban legend. I am not saying it is, and suicides have a 'high' occurrence of becoming 'hauntings' (more than likely due to the emotional energy 'released' at the time of the actual 'event').

One other thing... What would a 'non-local' be pointing towards in that area. You know the property, is there ANYTHING in the direction she was pointing?

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: