You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: After Hours In The Library

Real Ghost Stories

After Hours In The Library

 

I've been fascinated by ghostly things for most of my life, but I've only personally experienced one event which, to me, only allows a ghostly explanation.

At the time, I was working as a part time librarian at a community college. Part of the campus had been built over an old Roman Catholic cemetery. Though it was moved to make room for the campus, the library building, which had the most apparent activity, was not built on the site of the cemetery.

One night, around 10:30 PM, having closed and locked the library, and with the assistance of two other staff, I checked the building top to bottom and confirmed no one else was present, making it, I thought, the perfect time to do a little light reading. I headed to the top floor to find a certain book, but could hear the distinct sound of typing coming from the computer lab. The computers there had keyboards that made a solid clicking sound when pressed. Figuring someone had managed to sneak around our search to clear the library, I poked into the computer lab to check.

The room was devoid of people save for myself, yet I could clearly see the keys on one keyboard moving as if someone was typing up some homework.

That is the only ghostly event I've witnessed where I could not come up with any alternative explanation.

At this same community college, I experienced one more event. This happened around 2 in the afternoon on a very windy autumn day, so I suspect the blowing leaves had something to do with it. I was standing in a building actually built over the cemetery, talking with a security guard about something when we witnessed the doors to the building open and close on their own four or five times in about 2 minutes. It was an airlock type of door with outer doors and inner doors, both controlled by an optical sensor. I've never witnessed blowing leaves trigger such a door before, but it happened quite a lot with myself and the security guard witnessing it.

Other hauntings by RCRuskin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RCRuskin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Hi, Punksy.

As I recall, the computers were turned off completely. It would have been interesting if they were on, to see.
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-27)
Hello RCRuskin,

I know it has been quite a while since you post this but I would have been curious to see what was being typed! Was the computer on do you recall? I know most school computers are just left on the login screen where you can input your student ID or what have you, to use them.

I wonder if there was a message to be found there... 😉
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-11-01)
Pretty neat stories! Thanks for sharing. If I was going to hang around after passing away, I think a library or college campus would be perfect. Maybe the spirit was an ex-student trying to meet a deadline (tee hee). It seems to be benign activity, so the spirits aren't all that unhappy.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-31)
Jerry, I have encountered those before. My mom was secretary to my high school's principal, which is a whole different level of scary...

The college did have some of those but not in the library computer lab. We had those back in our work area.
JerryB (8 stories) (189 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
This may not be the case but maybe (?) you encountered an IBM Selctric typewriter, some models had the capability of typing copies that had been programmed, it was especially useful for typing multiple original copies, when Xerox or carbon paper just wasn't desirable. I was amazed the first time I saw one in action as no one was at the keyboard but it typed away at fast speed, regardless.
Argette (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Loved your account. Some of my scariest experiences have been in college libraries. They seem to have other layers, somehow. One senses there is another dimension there.

Thank you and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: