You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Through The Veil

Real Ghost Stories

Through The Veil

 

Behind my grandma's house, there is a woods with a creek. Usually, it dries up in the summer.

Last summer, I went to go look at it. I didn't go into the woods too far, just slightly off the path. About 5 minutes. When I was flipping over rocks, I heard some branches breaking and hid behind a fallen tree. It was an automatic reaction. Two deer appear and I watch them for a few minutes. I take a few pictures and the deer move on.

I decide to head back to my grandma's house and go back the way I came. I'm walking towards what should be my grandma's backyard. I see all the proper landmarks and trees, I see my path in the tall grass I just made. I know these woods like the back of my hand. I've been back here hundreds of times. When I was little, I learned how to use a compass in these woods. I even ran a few dogs rabbit hunting in these woods. So I'm pretty confident about where to go when I want to leave.

When I break through the trees, I'm somehow on the other side of the woods. I'm asking myself how this happened. I check my phone and only a few minutes have passed since I took pictures of the deer.

To get to the other side of the woods, it usually takes me an hour. As I'm wondering what's going on, I start walking in the direction I need to go.

I hear a noise behind me and when I look, it's a deer. That deer followed me all the way back to my grandma's house. Sometimes she would be in front of me, sometimes behind.

Does anyone know what this means? Or how I could end up an hour's walk away in 5 minutes? And why a deer, a wild animal, would follow me back?

Through The Veil 1

Through The Veil 2

Through The Veil 3

Through The Veil 4

 

On a side note, I went back the next day to try and see what would happen if I retraced my steps. I went back to the same part of the creek and took the same path out. When I broke through the trees this time, I came out where I expected myself to.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hollyhock, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
Hi Martin,
I'm really enjoying the stories with photos attached! (so much better than going to a third-party site) The visuals are a nice addition to the stories. Thank you!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
Another older story that is updated with photos as I'm processing old emails. And yes I'm fully aware that one day we'll need to improve this process, it's a priority in my list ๐Ÿ˜‰
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
Mhannerism, I haven't heard if that belief before. By invert clothes are we talking inside out or are we talking sticking your legs through the arm holes if your top and your arms through the leg holes of your trousers? If the latter, reminds me of my first year at university:)

On a serious note, I gather the crux if this story is the time difference between departing point A and arriving at point B?

My impression from reading the story is that this was daytime? Can you advise if I am right it wrong on this point?

Just at night bushland is a different ball game and you can very easily not be where you think point A is and thus arrive at point B unexpectedly. Everyone has a directional bias. Essentially, in the absence of visual cues one tends to err either left or right to anything from either a tiny degree to a massive degree. I have a massive left directional bias. Side note: trust your compass not your directional instincts.

I guess what I'm saying is that the overall picture of your story is very different depending on light conditions at the time of the incident.
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
There's a superstition in our country. That when you're lost into the woods or forest, just invert your clothes and you will find your way back. As you were being played by an elemental. It's a good thing it doesn't apply to this story because your grandma might laugh at you about inverting your clothes lololol ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I have two guesses about the deers:
1. They were the ones who casted something on you in order to get lost. Or
2: Something (like protector of the woods) have asked the deers to help you find your way out.

Disturbing but fascinating story though! ^_^

Take care,
Mhanne โค
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-28)
WOW this just a great story maybe you went through a time lapse or something. Thats weird because you didn't go back in time nor into the future. Have you seen those deer lately? Or maybe they were trying to protect you from something. Generaly if they see a human they will hide or run away. Yes I also see a face in the first picture I see two faces which I think the arrow in the picture is pointing the wrong way. Really I would love to explore those woods. ๐Ÿ˜
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-21)
Hollyhock,

Question...the deer that followed you 'home' was it a Doe or a Stag (Buck)?

They have similar meanings as 'spirit animals' (See quote below) and the 'why' it seemed to follow you may become clear if you know if it was a male or female deer that followed you back.

Respectfully,

Rook

[Quote)

"In the Celtic tradition, there are two aspects of deer - female and male. The Hind (the red female deer), called Eilid in the Gaelic language, symbolises femininity, subtlety and gracefulness. The Hind is believed to call to us from the Faery realm, tempting us to release the material trappings of so-called 'civilization', to go deep into the forest of magic, to explore our own magical and spiritual nature. The topic gentleness is part of this tradition. Many stories tell of Hinds changing into women, often goddesses, to protect does from being hunted. The lesson to be gleaned here is that when we explore magic and spirituality, it must be with good intention, to harm no living being, but to enter the realm of the wild things in the spirit of love and communion. The Stag, Damh in the Gaelic tongue, is also linked to the sacredness of the magical forest. The Damh represents independence, purification, and pride. It is known as the King of the Forest, the protector of its creatures. For time immemorial people have sought to identify with the stag by ceremonially wearing antlered headdresses and imitating the deer's leaping grace."
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
That's interesting about the different seasonal deer coats, I didn't know that. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Seems we can rule out the deer thinking you as one of their own, and my face image too lol.
I'm wondering now if what happened to you also happened to the deer. If they were the same individual deers in points A and B, or different ones. I would assume if a wild animal experienced a sudden change in location they would freak out, heck so would a person. But whatever happened here seemed to be 'accepted' by any deer who might have experienced it. Or they were spared from the experience all together.
The one which followed you back, if it had also suddenly appeared on the other side of the forest, I wonder if it followed you back because it instinctively knew to retrace where it had been moments before.
When you say the deer was in front of you some of the time, then behind you, was there anything 'off' about this?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Truck,

I understand that deer can adjust to people being around and ignore them... I worked at a manufacturing plant whose undeveloped property was designated a wildlife preserve... 10 minutes from downtown Austin... They had a whole herd that did not care...

I was more curious about the summer, winter or fall coats... Sense it was July if the deer had been in their winter coats it could have been another piece of evidence for some sort of time vortex... It seems however that the deer were in 'seasonal attire'.

I am not so sure about the other images mentioned...

Off to do more research...

Respectfully,

Rook
TRUCK (25 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
I wouldn't look to much into the deer. I live out in the country where there is a lot of hunting going on yet the deer still have 0 fear of humans. I even have a small heard that will hang out in my yard. Heck I've been out mowing the yard and they still don't run away!

The rest of the story is very intriguing. The phenomenon in the Triangle is called a vortex and are reported all over the globe. Are they real? I have no idea, but I would love to experience one!

Great story!
Caz (342 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hollyhock...Yes, I can imagine it could look quite dark! The trees are pretty densely packed together and it looked like a bright sunny day when you took that pic! I don't blame you for not liking using that path! If you feel something is 'off', it probably is! I'm a great believer in trusting your gut! I hope you don't mind, but I want to ask when the nightmares started! Before or after this event!
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Here's the deer in the first image.

Https://t.co/hbAwEsEyoE
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Caz - that part of the woods always feels wrong and I don't like to go through it. The pic makes it look light. In reality, it's darker.

Tweed - I kind of see how it could be a face, but I'm thinking it's part of the fallen tree. I think they're called tree knots or something like that.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Tweed - looks like a deer to me and I was up close and personal with one this morning when it ran into the side of my Blazer LOL
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hey guys, hope this link works. I put a box around the face thing.
Http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ai0h7q&s=9#.Vk9CxFNZ-So

Could well be me making sense out of nonsense ๐Ÿ˜‰
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Rook...There appears to be a patch of strong sunlight at the far end of that path. Do you think glare from that could account for the fuzziness of the trees? I know nothing about photography!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
No, can't see a face there. It's underneath the arrow, to the right of the branch peering from the top. In relation to the arrow x marks the face:

<----
___x
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hollyhock...I think I managed to spot the deer in the first pic on the second attempt, but not certain! I just love the pic of the deer following you home! Beautiful! ๐Ÿ˜Š The part of the forest that looks wrong, looks like something out of a fairytale and the path seems to be 'inviting' the viewer to follow it! Beautiful for sure, but easy to imagine eyes watching you from behind the trees! Does that part of the woods always feel wrong, or was it just on that day?
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Tweed - is this what you are looking at?

Https://t.co/iwsFX4WI3i
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hollyhock, the face I see is stood in the background, to the right of the stick/branch in the foreground. If you look at the stick/branch the face is partially concealed by the stick/branch. The 'face' is standing around where the trees beyond are.
If you follow that tall blade of grass closest to the camera, follow that blade of grass up where it crosses over the top bit of branch, and the face is on the right. It's small, like standing in the background further away. Only the forehead, one eye and hair is visible.
Hope that helps.
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Rook - These were taken with an iPhone 4. That may be why the first ones are blurry.

This event happened at the end of July last year. The deer would have their summer coats. So that color is normal.

Tweed - When you're looking at the image, the deer is to the left. Is that what you're looking at?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hollyhock,

Thanks for posting those pics, some great wilderness there! Okay, I sort of thought of one thing that defies conventional logic. What if the deer, in this moment, on this day, thought of you as one of them, thought you were one of them, accepted you as such etc. That might explain their demeanour toward you. How and why, goodness knows.

The part in the forest that feels wrong looks so beautiful.๐Ÿ˜Š

I couldn't see a deer in the first picture. However, (this could be a waste of time btw) the first thing I noticed on the first picture was an image of what looks like a young woman or girl, dead center of the photo to the right of the branch in foreground. Partial face peering from the thicket beyond (eye forehead hair)

I didn't view the pictures expecting to see apparitions nor did I go looking for anything unusual. It was literally the fist thing I noticed on the first picture. It could be matrixing (aka me seeing things) but I thought it worth a mention just in case.
(I also could be wasting everyones time and it could be the deer I'm looking at, if so sorry!)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
My apologies it seems auto correct has altered your name... Sorry about that.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-20)
Hollywood,

Wonderful pictures. Thank you... Two questions...

1) What time of the summer...early, mid, late... Was this?

And

2) Are the deer normally that 'red' at that time of year?

As far as the last picture goes... To me it seems kind of 'blurry' in the distance...Ummm, how to describe it... From the angle the picture is taken it seems your aim point was towards the far end of the path...however...it seems the camera was focused on something closer as the trees seem to get fuzzy the further away from you... Is that 'normal' for the camera on your phone? I always thought pictures were clearer closer to the focal point... Am I correct in that thinking? (Ok that's more than two... So sue me)

Anyone?

Respectfully,

Rook
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-19)
https://t.co/LoA9rOLQ2X

There's a deer in the middle left of this pic. This is when they first came out.

______________________

Https://t.co/rVpkulpv2x

The deer walking away. There was two of them here.

______________________

Https://t.co/fU36z8uw26

This is the deer that followed me. Here she is watching me as I walk toward her. She did this a few times and would sometimes appear behind me. The weird part is she doesn't seem scared.

______________________

Https://t.co/tUFSzYW4eS

This is a part of the woods that feels wrong. I saw a deer here, too. But by the time I got my phone ready, it was gone.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
No pictures yet... Sometimes it's quicker if you 'host' them on a site like photobucket then provide a 'link' to them.

Respectfully,

Rook
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
That's okay. I figured it out:)

Did the pictures get posted yet? I'm accessing through my phone, so I can't see them.
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
Hollyhock...I'm sorry we seem to have your story on two threads now, so do have check Jerry's as there are new comments! My fault entirely! ๐Ÿ˜ข
Hollyhock (1 stories) (11 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
I didn't have any missing time. I went through a break in the trees and suddenly appeared on the other side of the woods. Which is baffling, since it takes me an hour to get to that part of the woods.

All time was accounted for, including the hour I now had to walk back to grandma's house.

No missing time, but still a mystery ๐Ÿ˜
Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
Sorry Hollyhock... I got the name of that story wrong! It's called 'The Strange Object In The Woods'!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-18)
Hollyhock, this is one of the best experiences I've ever read on here. Thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Look forward to the deer pics. I agree with Rook, the deer behaviour around you that day is very telling. Though, I haven't a clue why or how they figure into this, but it seems they do. Very intriguing!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: