You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Non-disturbing Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

Non-disturbing Spirits

 

I guess I have always lived with the paranormal, or my parents really have the worst intuition while moving into a new house. So just to set the story in a background. My parents are originally from Calcutta, I was born there but in 1993, my dad got a job in Pondicherry and moved there with my mom and older sisters.

The first story is in a house located in the suburbs, the locality was in the process of being developed. We moved to that house when I was around three years old. I don't remember much from those earlier times, but as I grew older I started to feel more and more.

We lived on the top floor of the building, we also had an adjoining terrace where most of the time my dog would be running around. My parents had an attached bathroom, while my sisters had to use the one outside in the terrace. For some reason, I never was comfortable sleeping in the room with my sisters, I always slept with my parents.

This is something I heard from my parents after we moved out from that house. At night they used to often hear children chattering and playing from the terrace adjoining their room, or how my dog used to be extremely afraid to go out at night to the terrace.

Almost every evening after school I used to come back home and play with my dog. We had a small path that goes around the terrace where I would run behind my dog, and I often felt extremely scared going behind there. I was quite young around 6 or 7 years old, and I never understood why I used to be terrified going there.

I have no memory of this night. I was home alone with my mom, my dad was out on a business trip, one of my sisters was married and the other one had moved out to another city with work. That day, the aircon had broken down so we had someone come in and remove it to be fixed. So, as you can imagine (these were the old window ones) there was a gaping hole in the window. My mom remembers this day, it was quite late at night, and she was unable to sleep due to the heavy rain. She got up and saw a boy sitting in the rain in our neighbors' terrace (there was no separation there was just a tiny wall). She did not bother much and went back to sleep.

The next morning she met our neighbor and told her that her son was out on the terrace late at night in the rain. The neighbor was quite surprised as she informed that her son was having nightmares so slept with her all night. My mom let it go. Then later found out that when that house was getting constructed, the owners son was playing around, and fell down from the 2nd floor and died immediately.

People from the other flats never stayed more than a year in that building, on that street as a matter of fact. We had a family living on the ground floor, which was a big family, grandparents, parents, and two children (one newborn). Within a year the family lost their business, and the father committed suicide. The family quickly moved away.

Well things kept on happening. For some reason we lived in that house for 12 yrs, and to be honest nothing much happened to us. Of course we all experienced the eerie feeling or hearing children play, but for some reason the spirits never really bothered us.

My mom likes to believe this is because God protects us. I am atheist and I have a hard time believe it, but it is her belief and I respect it because she is the kind of person who prays twice a day.

Well, after 12 years we decided to move as the house was quite far from my school and we had found another house with was much closer. And I remember this. The day we were leaving, my mom personally moved all her gods and goddesses, the last one to be moved was her little statuette of her patron God, and while going out of the house, she felt like someone tripped her on the stair, and he flew out of her hands. She just got up and walked out and never looked back.

A couple of months after we moved out, we found out that our whole street was build on a children's graveyard, which explained the chattering noise at night. For the rest we really cannot know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, parp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-17)
This is scary... I am glad you moved out of that place... Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-15)
Hi parp, which part of Pondicherry you were in and where was that house you stayed? I am quite familiar about Pondicherry and I live in Madras (Chennai now).

Ladyglow, Val, Biblio and others, in Hindu customs and culture, majority are cremated but in certain castes, creeds and sub-castes, people are buried. But, to my knowledge, I don't think that there existed or exists a cemetery exclusively for children. That is the reason why I wanted to know where the O/P had those experiences and where he stayed and which locality he was living. It is not that I know everything about Pondicherry but I know the place quite well. If at all, I don't about any such place, I would like to know and it is about 3 hours drive from my place and visit Pondicherry quite often and I will try to enquire about these events because O/P might have left the place for good but the area remains, people would definitely be staying out there even now and also that if at all, there existed such paranormal encounters, it might continue even now.

With regards and respects to every one.

SDS
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-15)
Also, Bibliothecarius, I have never been inside a children's graveyard (being a mother myself, I don't have the stomach to see these graves). So I wouldn't know if these graves have headstones or not. If anybody has knowledge on that, would love to be enlightened.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-15)
Hello Bibliothecarius, Val. Even I had no clue as to why children are not cremated in Hinduism, until I came upon this: https://www.quora.com/Hinduism/Why-are-dead-Hindu-children-buried-instead-of-cremated

I welcome anybody who has in-depth knowledge about this subject to corroborate this. Thanks:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-14)
Allesgute,
I was really hoping someone from over there would help us to understand:) I wonder why they aren't cremated too?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-14)
Thanks, Allesgute:

I knew that Hindus were cremated, but I did NOT know about the burial of young Hindus. Tombs and graves in much of modern India must be either children's cemeteries, non-Hindu, British colonial, or really ancient. It's always a good day when I learn something new. 😁

Now the story seems more cohesive, but somehow the tone is still problematic. 😕 How does a community forget where children were buried? Do Children's Cemeteries not have grave markers? That would account for the building work atop the graves, much like the Native American burial sites in the US which are rediscovered decades after the tribal peoples had been relocated from their ancestral homelands.

Just some speculative thinking on my part...

Biblio.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-14)
In fact, here in Pune (India), there's a burial ground for children called 'Thosar Paga', which has a name plate saying 'mulanna purnyache smashaan' or something along those lines, which means children's burial ground. My route back home from work usually passes that area and it feels a bit eerie, though I haven't experienced anything out there.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-12-14)
In Hindu religion, people are cremated. But children from newborn to pre-puberty are buried. That is what the author, in my opinion, means by children's graveyard.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-13)
I agree, Val.

There's a hollow tone to this narrative which doesn't quite resonate with the nature of the experiences it contains. Each section of the story has a brief sketch of the situation and absolutely no follow-up on the data before moving on to the next event. The mechanics of storytelling is not right, here; it's not just a second-language vocabulary issue.

The idea of a "Children's Graveyard" would only make sense in an orphanage or similar institution populated primarily by children. There's only one alleged "Children's Graveyard" in the US (South Carolina), but the nickname arose because it *predominantly* contained children, not *exclusively.*

Irritated, but in agreement,
-Biblio.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-12)
Good point, Mack. You'd think something like having been built over a graveyard (let alone children's graves) would have been common neighborhood gossip and heard long before 12 years had passed.
I don't know... Something just seems 'off' here, but as English is probably not the o/p's first language it could be just a vocabulary barrier.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-12)
That is a harrowing video Valkricry. Poor wee kids! We joke about school lunched being bad but that takes it to another level...
I don't know about others but to me the idea that because a body is put in the ground, the spirit who inhabited that body would want to hang around it.
The whole "cemeteries = haunted spots" just seems to me to be, well, superstitious.
Depending on your belief or understanding of the nature of our existence, once your spirit, or soul leaves your body, your body dies. You, that is your consciousness, character continues to express itself as before, but in a higher vibration, if you will.
Logically thinking, when I pass over, I will not wanting to be hanging around my decomposing body. I would rather be visiting my favorite earthly places, friends or simply saying "farewell" to the Earth plane and enjoying the spirit world whatever that may happen to be.
If anything, Parp's experience may well be related to the child who died in the accident?
Another question I have Parp, is that although you lived at that house for 12 years, you only heard about the whole street being a children's graveyard AFTER you moved out?
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-12)
Like most of you, I was a bit stunned by the sentence, "our whole street was build on a children's graveyard"; like Mack I find the concept intriguing, but difficult to grasp. Perhaps either parp or one of our Indian members can shed some light on this, although I don't believe it is a common practice (selecting burial grounds according to age).
However, some illness or disaster may have created a cemetery, or section of one, primarily of children; since it was built over I'm assuming it was of some antiquity. This 'age-based' type of graveyard still happens even today. In 2013 nineteen out of twenty three children who died from eating a tainted school meal in India's Bihar State are buried in and around the school's grounds. I'm supplying a link to that article and its video, but if you are sensitive you may not want to read/look at it. Personally, I found it very disturbing: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-23353017
In a very real sense, that makes the schoolyard also a graveyard, no?
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-11)
Hi Parp - thanks for sharing. I find the concept of "children's graveyard" intriguing.
I live in New Zealand and our cemeteries are a mixture of all ages. I have never visited India and can't find any reference of children's cemeteries when I asked my Uncle (who's second name happens to be "Google")
It would seem to be illogical to create alternative cemeteries when space and land are at a premium.
What are the reasons for separating bodies by age?
Cheers
Mack
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-10)
Interesting story.
Do people in India bury their dead by age group or what do you mean by "our whole street was build on a children's graveyard"?

Thanks for sharing.
Amzu15 (19 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-10)
Wow.its a really interesting story I must say. What happened with the family in the ground floot is really sad. I don't think that only the spirits of the kids were present there. Something else. Much more dark... I don't know what. But its good that you guys moved out... And I really like the fact that although you are an atheist you respect other's sentiments.
Xx.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: