You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Touched by the Hand of a Heavily Breathing Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Touched by the Hand of a Heavily Breathing Ghost

 

My story happened about 4 years ago. I had moved to New York to start a new life with my then girlfriend Lisa. We wanted to save up some money so we were staying with my mother in the Bronx in an apartment she had recently moved into. The building was probably close to a hundred years old. It was a one bedroom apartment, so my girlfriend and I slept on an air mattress in the living room while my mother slept in the bedroom.

Everything was completely normal for the first few months, then weird things started to happen. My first experience happened to me one night after Lisa and I had laid down to go to bed. I have always had a problem with going straight to sleep, so I was just laying there with my eyes closed when I heard what sounded like someone breathing. At first, I didn't really pay any attention to it because I thought that it was just Lisa, then I heard it again, and again. I asked Lisa why she was breathing so hard but got no response. Lisa was asleep. I decided to investigate the strange noise, but I found nothing. I went into my mother's room to see if maybe she was awake, but she too was sound asleep. A bit baffled, I just decided to go lay back down and after about an hour I finally was able to go to sleep.

The following morning when I woke up, I didn't mention anything about the noise to either my mom or Lisa. A few days had gone by without hearing the noise at night, and then it happened again, only this time it seemed to be louder than the first time that I heard it. I sat trying to figure out what could possibly be making this noise. After about 20 or 30 minutes, it stopped.

The next morning I decided to say something about what I had been hearing. I told my mother and Lisa about it and they both just laughed at me. I asked my mom if she had ever heard anything like that before I had come there and she said no. The next night I was in my mother's room playing my video game while her and Lisa were asleep on my mom's bed. I really wasn't trying to hear that noise again, so I was going to stay in my mom's room until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Out of nowhere, my stereo, which was in the living room, turned on. I was startled by this and didn't want to turn it off, but it was a bit loud so I had to do it. When I got to the stereo, I thought to myself if maybe the alarm on it was on, but it wasn't. I remembered to note the time and it was about 1:30am, the same time that I would hear the breathing. I slept in my mother's room that night.

The next night at bed time Lisa and I were back in the living room. Fearing hearing the noise again, I pulled the sheet over my head. I was laying on my left side and Lisa's back was against mine. All I could do was wait for the breathing to start. Shortly after I pulled the sheet over my head it did, only this time it started to move around the room. It had never done this before. I began to get really scared at this point and I just wanted for it to stop, but it didn't. It started getting louder and closer to me and then it happened. As I laid on my side I felt someone's hand lightly stroke my arm. I was instantly paralyzed by fear. I actually felt fingers stroke my arm through the thin sheet. After that everything stopped.

The next morning, I couldn't wait to tell my mother and Lisa what happened to me in the night, but when I did, I received the same response as the first time. Upset, I decided to take a shower. When I took my shirt off, I noticed that my arm where it had touched me was slightly discolored. I showed this to both my mom and Lisa and they couldn't understand it. They both thought that it was a bit weird, but still they didn't believe me about my experience with what I believe to be a ghost.

It never happened to me again while I stayed in that apartment, but I will never forget about these experiences, and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to share them with all of you. Thank you.

Other hauntings by futureghost211

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, futureghost211, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I have heard heavy breathing before. It was very scary. I never saw anything and it never touched me. I don't know what I would have done if it did.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-11)
I would have been "paralysed by fear" just as you wrote you were too. I agree with Ohiowatha in that that is a normal response in such a situation. Thank you for your story.
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Thank you all for taking the time to read about my encounter. Mustang, I did see that episode of "Ghost Hunters" when Grant was asleep. Ohiowatha, I didn't have paralysis. When I spoke of being "frozen", It was a figure of speech, however I have, and still do experience what is known as sleep paralysis. That is really scary. Thanks for your comments everyone.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Hi Futureghost211. I do believe in your story because my step brother had the same expierience. It was freeky when he told me that story. I hope you finally found some peace. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
I believe this one! Very creepy! The breathing, the touching! 😨I wonder if this was a female entity that really liked men and she REALLY wanted human contact. Do you know what I mean.;) I wonder if any other men had any experiences in your mother's apartment? Also, it doesn't sound like your mother or girlfriend, at the time, were open-minded to anything of that kind. Maybe this is why you were the only one available for contact for this entity. Did you ever see that TAPS show where the female ghost in the hotel room liked to mess with the males feet. On the video tape you could see the comforter move up on its own down by the feet of the male that was sleeping in the bed. Catching something like that on video is excellent! Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
I buy this one. Your reaction to such an encounter is typical of veritable paranormal engagements--paralysis. This seems like a genuine fear of the unknown to me. I also appreciate your reticence to experience this breathing more than once. When most people are in situations like this, they are pretty freaked-out and are not looking for repeat performances. That's usually a tell-tale sign of a false story--going out of one's way to encounter said entity again on one's own. That just doesn't happen. These things are unlike anything most people have ever encountered and when something happens to you for the first time, you don't usually have the presence of mind (or courage) to seek them out alone.

My only advice is that, if this ever happens again, say very politely, loudly and clearly that you are afraid and would appreciate it greatly if whatever it is in the room with you would please not interact with you again and to leave the house for someplace better.

Cheers!
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-12)
Thank you both, and I think you're right Annie, I also feel that it was trying to have some kind of human contact. It was never aggressive at any time, I was just afraid. My mother never had any experiences after I left. At least none that she's ever spoken of.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-11)
It is truely disheartening when you tell your experience to loved ones and they laugh at you or tell you, that you must have been dreaming, even when you know for a fact you were wide awake. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-11)
Sounds like a spirit that just wanted to make some type of human contact. When it finally did, after several miserable nights for you (!), fg, it went on it's way. I'm sorry that your mom and girlfriend laughed at your claims.
I wonder, did your mom have any encounters after you moved out? It would be interesting to hear if she had.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: