You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Ha-ha Very Funny, Josh

Real Ghost Stories

Ha-ha Very Funny, Josh

 

Christmas. It can be rather an emotional maze for many of us. This year has been a bit rougher for me than others. Since my son's death in 2002, all the holidays are a bit bittersweet, I think is the term for it. I miss him and the rest of my still living family very much, but even more so during the Holidays when everything seems so family orientated especially Christmas.

This Christmas my daughter informed me, as gently as possible, that she could only spend part of Christmas Eve with me, as she and the boyfriend are also going to his family's get together, and then of course Christmas Day is spent with her dad and his people. I think I'm okay with it, I WANT to be okay with it. But honestly, on the inside I'm being very pouty about it. Christmas Eve is suppose to be MY time. I know, grow up, right?

Anyway, things have been going on lately that lead me to think my son is hanging around. Silly, illogical things. At first I thought maybe some prankster passing through. Most of my family have a weird sense of humour, so it could be any of them.

Things were fairly normal (or at least what passes as normal around here) until last Monday when Christmas break began. Usually I can distract myself with work, or trying to plot out my work day. When I get home from work, I am quite frankly, too tired to think period. However, lacking work, my mind has too much time and wants to go into self-pity mode. I'll be alone on Christmas and blah blah blah... Yep the whole whiny, snotty nosed bit. I really can't stand me when I get like that, so I'm willing to entertain the notion that some of this could be a manifestation from my subconscious.

Monday, 12/21/2015: 4 AM:

I'm laying in bed telling myself I really need to put up the tree today. I swing my feet out of bed and in standing up, kick something across the floor. Turning on the overhead I see it's a small ornament my son had made me. I pick it up, wondering how it got there when I haven't even pulled the ornaments out of storage yet (or I'd blame the cat). Weird. I also noticed the room was a bit chilly (as was the apartment) but, hey, it is winter.

About 4:20 or so

I go to make coffee. So where are the grounds? Not on the shelf, not on the counter. Not in the fridge... Nowhere that makes any sense. Okay, maybe the roomie used it up (never should have taught him how to make coffee) and he forgot to tell me. Guess instant will have to do. So WHY is the can of coffee sitting in the microwave? Roomie denies knowledge of this when I ask later.

9AM I begin the ultimate woman vs tree struggle inside the closet. I practically have to empty the closet in order to get to the tree sections, then leverage the 2 pieces out one at a time into the living room. Sounds easy enough, but each section is nearly as big as me. The string I've wound and tied around the base section, as it's the widest, decides partway out of the closet to 'pop' and the tree opens up, squashing me against the wall. The wrestling match has begun in earnest now. At one point I actually said out loud, "Look, Tree, this ends one way. I win! So give up now!" I swear it felt as if someone was messing with me. You know how it feels to play tug of war with a dog? Well the tree was acting like that, like someone had hold of it and was just shaking it. Finally I victoriously drag it out. It was near 10Am when I finally had it assembled and ready to decorate. Funny, I couldn't find a break in that twine I had used. It was as if someone had undid the knot... Hmmmm.

At some point (not sure of the time) roomie remarked if I'd noticed every light in the house seemed to be flickering now and then. I confirmed I'd noticed and if it kept up, I'd get the landlord to send an electrician around.

Tuesday, 12/22/2015

4 AM, up to relieve myself and start the day. The apartment is still chilly feeling in spots. On my way through the living room one of my musical snowglobes start playing. Ok... Maybe the vibration of my steps set it off, but it plays its entire song. From the bathroom I hear the second snowglobe start playing as the first ends, again the entire song. I make my way back to the living room just as the last note is struck and my third globe does the same thing! I don't know any vibration that could cause this. They're the type with the windup key in the bottom, and they don't have 'off' switches or anything. Definitely odd to say the least.

Off and on through out the morning Kirby, my cat, acts like he's interacting with someone. I watch him stand on his hind legs, roll around on the floor as if 'wrestling' with someone, then tear around the room. Not as if he's scared, but playing. I can't help but to laugh.

Afternoon, 3:30pm or so

I'm sitting on the floor wrapping presents. As I was picking up the scissors, I happen to look into the glass of my curio cabinet, and for just a split second I thought I saw someone, a young man. It was barely more than an outline and so quickly gone, but I breathed my son's name all the same. Right after that the tape went missing. It wasn't lurking under the wrapping paper, nor under my leg. I hadn't gone anywhere... I stood up anyway and looked everywhere in arm's reach. Standing there, on a whim I spoke to the air, "Ha-ha very funny, Josh. Give the tape back, please." I jumped a foot into the air when something struck me softly in the back, turning around there laid the tape. Laughing I said "Geez, you expect me to catch it with my butt or what?"

I'm going to admit something here, might sound crazy, but I continued talking as I wrapped the presents. Nothing of great import, just Mom stuff. Like I miss him, and I was so grateful for the time we had as a family, and reliving some memories. He always could make me laugh. I did add if at all possible could he stop making the lights flicker if that was him, as it scares the roomie. They haven't flickered once since.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Ann4Shadow - I noticed in two of your comments you mentioned your son died December 21, 2017. I just wanted to bring that to your attention 😊
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Dear val,
This story means a great deal to me. I really love your writing anyway but this story touched my heart like no other. I lost my youngest son Dec. 21, 2017 from a heroin overdose. I did not know what to think would happen to him in death. I was devastated about it. His life had not been what I would have wished for him.
Since his passing I have felt him with me at many moments. I believe he has played some gentle pranks on me and I feel him when I am watching tv on the couch. (I have had many health issues so I'm on the couch a lot) He and I used to watch tv together and he would always make me laugh.
Still, I was not sure if any of that was real or if it was wishful thinking...
My younger brother goes to a spiritualist and right after Pat died my brother went to the spiritualist and "spoke" with Pat. Pat said many things but he also said he was free now and was with family.
Still skeptical... I went to a psychic. I was told Pat was on the couch with me when I was watching tv. He said Pat saw me release a balloon into the sky the night of his funeral. He also said Pat wanted me to have his green notebook. I had no idea how to find this because he was all over the place before he died. At last I told my brother in California this and he was like "I have his green notebook in my garage in a box of his things. I just saw it the other day".
My brother sent it to me but I have not had the courage to read it yet.
Anyway, your story and the gentle way your son interacted with you really touched my heart. Thank you Val.
Be Well
Ann

❀
PBnJilly (18 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-07)
Val,

I'm in love with your writing and am currently going through your catalog of stories. Wrestling with myself not to comment and tell you how much I am enjoying each and every one! This one though, I can't help but tell you how heart warming and tear jerking I found it, all at the same time. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have two young sons of my own and can't imagine. The holidays would most definitely be a difficult time for me too. But it's touching to think your son came to spend some time with his Momma at Christmas, and even went so far as to do some things to lift your spirits and put a smile on your face (playing with the cat, making it run around and the tape, etc.). The thought makes my heart smile.

Sending you light and love,
PB n Jilly
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-13)
Hi Val,
Im doing great.
I just passed my 12th grade and at present I'm doing job.
So good to hear from you after a long time.

Takecare
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Lady-glow, spiritwaiting, and Glurr,
Sorry it's taken me so long to see your comments. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and leave a note.
Maggi - of course I remember you! How have you been? Have you finished school yet?
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-20)
Hi Val,
How are you? I think maybe you don't remember me.
But about your story, it touched my heart. I'm still crying while writing this 😭...sorry about your son.

Takecare

Meghna
Glurr (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-28)
This was so heart warming ❀ I loved this, it made me smile, it's cute how you spoke to him and how the tape reappeared ❀
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
[at] Valkricry,
Every time I read your experiences with your son, I always end up with a huge smile and warmth in my heart. ❀ And I instantly think of my Uncle. I believe he has been around lately for one particular reason, and has made his presence known to me for the last couple weeks.
He started showing up a few weeks ago, before my son had his surgery, and I believe he's what my oldest son saw hovering over him during his slumber.
And now his mother, my paternal grandmother has passed suddenly after a long struggle with throat cancer.

Thank you so very very much for sharing these experiences with us. I absolutely love them!

Lots of Love
Spiritwaiting
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
Val: this is such a lovely story! Bitter sweet, or, should I say sweet and sour, -just to be attuned with the Chinese New Year?

Thanks for sharing!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
Psychicsenses,
Thank you for reading and commenting, and the New Year wishes.
I think repeated patterns and 'gut' feelings play a big role when a ghostie comes calling. I can only speak for myself, but I do know that an 'unknown' spirit effects me differently from someone I know (i.e. A family member). Of course with the onset of the Holidays (starting with Thanksgiving) family was on my mind a lot. Which is why I kept trying to write things off as 'wishful thinking' or imagination. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy, you know? We can trick ourselves into believing anything if we want it so enough. But the tape hitting me in the back? *smh* Can't exactly just brush that off can I? And it was just so HIM, you know?
Psychicsenses (1 stories) (12 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
Val,
That's so touching. We may think we are imagining or mind playing games but repeated patterns are to be considered. And most importantly no one can take away the sweet memories of our loved one's. Anyways though am wishing you late, I pray to almighty that you should have health, wealth and prosperity thus year.
liza25 (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-16)
That is horrible: (so sorry for that. I have seen people losing their children and I can say it is the worst thing to feel. These types of wounds do not heal with time. Thanks for answering my question.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Fergie,
You make total sense. At least to me. But, you know me, always slow to label anything 'paranormal' when it comes to myself. I have to examine and reexamine my 'facts'. But my heart and other senses tell me it was so. Josh was here. 😊
Hope you have a wonderful year too.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Red,
Lately I have been just so tired it's taking me a bit to get around to answering folks. Hopefully, I'll 'recharge' soon.
My son is/was pretty special (don't all Mom's feel that way? Lol) even in his teens, when most don't even want to admit to having a parent, he'd say 'Love you, Mom' when he left with friends. It always meant so much to me that he'd say it first, and he'd wait to hear my 'love you more'. He didn't care that his friends teased him about it. Those were our last words to each other on this plane, and I treasure them.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Tweed and babygoatpuller,
Oh, yeah, Josh was quite the prankster. His sense of humour was almost as warped as my own. Lol Typical would be for him to ask you to pass the salt at dinner, and watch you look for it while he was holding it the whole time. I remember one time, we were watching this scary movie and at a commercial I got up to use the bathroom. Josh says he's going to use the other one. Fine, I beat him back to the room. What I didn't know is he had crawled behind the sofa during my absence, and as I rounded the corner he grabbed my ankle! EEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! Lol
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Jodie and Liza,
I'm going to answer you both at the same time, because my replies basically overlap.
Thank you for reading and commenting. Loosing a child, no matter their age is a difficult thing at best. It is the deepest, darkest grief one can imagine. I'd go as far as to say it is beyond imagining for most.
As for how he died, he committed suicide 3 months into his 20th year. It's still very difficult for me to talk about. He went knowing he was loved, but I guess sometimes love just isn't enough.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Miracles,
Yep! Guilty as charged, I DO talk to myself (and animals, and spirits, and...) lol. I just thought it would sound crazy to some folks.
liza25 (1 stories) (21 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Beautiful story... Felt like I am reading a novel or something. Beautifully narrated. This story shows what a sweet relation you shared with your son... I loved your story!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cause of death of your son? Are there any other experiences when you felt your son was around?

Regards,
Liza
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Val, what a fabulous set of events. Now you just 'knew' it was Josh all along, didn't you?
I know the feeling of, 'It just can't be - I must be imagining things', but then something else happens to give you proof. Things that are just too much of a coincidence to be coincidence. (I hope I made sense?)

Your prankster, Josh, made sure you didn't spend Christmas alone. A wonderful gift from beyond our realm.

Yes, the Holiday Season is a bitter-sweet time for many of us. Too many memories of the past crowding in. 😒

Hope the New Year is a good one for you.

❀ Fergie.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
val
I love this story. Talk to Josh he'll respond in some way. Hopefully not by throwing something at your back again. πŸ˜†
I talk to my father in-law and grandfather all the time. My father in-law is the prankster and my grandfather is the one who gives me a thump in the head when I need it. In our last house my husband was tiling the kitchen and he made a mistake and asked me what I would do. I said out loud okay gramps (he was a tile setter by trade) tell me what to do, and bam, I had the answer that worked.

Regards
Red
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
I love, love, love this Val! The tape in the back would have sealed the deal for me. Actually, kicking the ornament on the floor that should have been packed away probably would have done it.

I agree with Miracles. He came to push away your blues and play with the cat. Made you laugh, didn't it! ❀ 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
Val, obviously none of us know Josh like you do. But in reading this it 'feels' like your intuition is right. I don't think this is wishful thinking at all. ❀

I'm glad you talked to him. Goodness, I talk out loud to ghosts all the time. Have to watch myself when there's people around or I can easily start addressing the air, as it were. Fun times😐
Well, I can only view you talking out loud to Josh as a very positive thing indeed.

*sigh* Christmas, it really can tip those emotional scales can't it. Don't beat yourself up, no ones perfect.

Josh is such a prankster, I had to laugh πŸ˜†
Jodie_S (1 stories) (15 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
This account made me laugh out loud and feel sad all at the same time... As a mother, I can't even begin to imagine the depth of your loss. I believe your son came back to let you know he was there with you and that you were not alone at all. Thank you for sharing...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
Oh val! I loved this, absolutely loved it! Not a doubt in my mind Josh was spending Christmas with you ❀ Maybe he was hoping to lessen your heartache about your daughter splitting her time with other family.

Why would it be crazy to continue to talk to him? Wouldn't you have done it if you could see him? Of course you would. And don't you talk to yourself? If you tell me no, you are probably the only person I know who doesn't LOL. Best therapy in the world, talking to your son ❀

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: