You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dark Figures At Sad Location. Ironic Coincidence?

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Figures At Sad Location. Ironic Coincidence?

 

I've struggled with whether or not I should share this story. The reason being the location, a scene where not so long ago a number of people lost their lives. Relatives of the deceased are alive and visit this location. Some people close to this location may even be members of this website. If one of them saw my story here, what would they think? The event I saw is "close to home" in more ways than one.

Ultimately I decided keeping quiet wouldn't change what I saw. Nor would it relieve the loss people felt. So, I'll tell the story. It happened at the site of the old Ghent Little General store in Ghent, WV. In 2007 it was destroyed in a propane blast. Today a vacant lot with some handmade memorials are all that remains. It sat at the entrance to Flat Top Lake near Winterplace ski resort.

I live near there and a few years ago I took a job that requires driving by this location often. Usually these trips are uneventful except for the odd deer jumping out in the road. I used to keep a mp3 player hooked up to my car stereo to make these trips better.

In mid-August 2014 I was making a trip out to the Knight's Inn motel on Odd Rd. (real name) Had my music going, it was a clear but steamy night. I started up the hill where the GLG lot is. As I approached it I saw a dark figure standing on GLG side of the road. It was shaped like a person but with no characteristics. Like a shadow. This was at night but the figure was even darker somehow. It stepped onto the road so I braked hard and the figure ran across the road. As I lifted my foot of the brake to leave three more of these black figures ran across. Again, human shaped but no features. All of them ran into the woods on the other side of the road. I left quickly.

This scene was made even scarier by the song that was playing on my stereo which was "Anthem" by Deep Purple. As I was driving up to the GLG lot the lyrics said:

"If the day would only come

Then you might just appear

Even though you'd soon be gone

When I reach out my hand.

If I could see you,

If only I could see you.

To see if you are laughing, or crying

When the night winds softly blow."

I finished my trip shaken to say the least. I haven't seen anything disturbing at this location before or since what I described.

Other hauntings by wvseller

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wvseller, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Wvseller--So sorry to hear of the terrible accident you were in. I have heard of people becoming more sensitive to the supernatural after an accident. I hope you think of your heightened sensitivity as something positive.

You should definitely write Rod Evans--I bet he would write you back. If you haven't heard it you should check out the album Rod Evans did (post Purple) with Captain Beyond. It's great early 70s rock with some heavy duty guitar action.
wvseller (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
[at] Manafon1 "Hi wvseller--Your account is very interesting and a bit on the eerie side."
The thing is I never had experiences like these until the car crash in '08. My mind works differently and faster. I was in the back of a car -no seatbelt-that got slammed >60mph.
I've been a Deep Purple fan for years. Thinking about sending Rod Evans a letter.
wvseller (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
[at] sds I'm 15 minute From this location. I'm not well versed on how to do proper investigation. 'Seems it's best left to the pros.
wvseller (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
[at] Tweed Residual I was thinking as well. I didn't go to the old store when it was open and I didn't know people (personally) who worked there. So I don't have a personal connection to the location.
wvseller (2 stories) (9 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
[at] Manafon1 Yes, it is good to meditate as well. So much time-and mind-is spent processing enviromental noise. It's nice to treat yourself to something more.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Wvseller--Tweed makes a really great point. Many paranormal incidents occur when the person who experiences them are engaged in an activity like creating music (like Tweed), listening to music, reading and so on. Any type of activity that disengages us briefly from the physical world around us.

You were listening intently to the Deep Purple song which disengaged you briefly and made you sensitive to a paranormal experience. I had a paranormal experience immediately after listening to music on headphones. It truly seems like that's what happened to you. Not only were Deep Purple recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame but they seem to have played a part in allowing you a brief encounter with four souls who perished in a tragic incident. Of course any music you were focused on could have served the same purpose.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Hi Wvseller,

I can understand why you'd be hesitant to share this experience, given the tragedy. But you have shared in good faith and good taste. Your motives are pure and it shows in your narrative.

Your encounter seems to me like one of a perfect storm. I believe music is a key to the subconscious and window into subtler realms. This is merely my personal belief, and a bias one at that as a musician. It felt, to me, that in this moment you were open to the other side. The song happened to be at just the right section which connected you to a truth, a bigger picture.

If the song spontaneously came on at that moment, this would smack of someone trying to tell you something. I think, because you were playing Deep Purple that evening out of your own choice, you tuned yourself in. When the lyrics synced up to an underlying truth in the location, you were already in the right emotionally receptive place to encounter these figures. In this moment your inner world, driving listening to music, matched what was happening in the location at this exact moment, and the veil was lifted. You were present in the moment due to circumstance, a perfect storm.

I wondered about residual for these figures too. But the detail about stepping out in front of your car and running off leans me more toward ghosts visiting the location.

Very interesting encounter. Thanks for sharing and glad you did. 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Hi wvseller, thanks for sharing your experience. Mac might be right. It could be residual. Still if you happen to reside near that place, why can't you make an investigation? Or did you discuss this sighting with anyone and if so, could you share their response?

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
HI WVseller - Possibly also could be residual hauntings of people running from the explosion? They would have had a lot of emotion and this may have caused their movements to be "recorded"?
Either way, very unsettling and unusual to see so many at once.
Mack
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
Hi wvseller--Your account is very interesting and a bit on the eerie side. Since you saw these four featureless figures near the site of the tragedy you mentioned, it does seem possible they are spirits from that event. The dark, featureless appearance of these figures, and that they were running into woods across the street from the site, suggest they may have been something else. Maybe they were some type of nature spirit connected to the woods and just happened to be seen near the site of the propane explosion.

On another note, you have fine taste in music. Going way back in the Deep Purple discography for "Anthem"! I'd say you are more than a casual fan of Purple 😊.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: