You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Of Cemeteries, Portals And Possesion (part 1)

Real Ghost Stories

Of Cemeteries, Portals And Possesion (part 1)

 

At the time of this experience I was a Solo Practicing Witch. I had no Coven, did my own research and had been doing so for nearly 8 years at the time. The pendulum I mention was a white quartz crystal on a leather tether. When I used it for divining I would hang it from a stand and rest my fingertips on the base of the stand... This was to prevent any nerves or twitches in my hands causing the pendulum to move. This is a long one and will be related in parts, I am sharing my Journal Entries in this one to describe what was happening.

Date: 09 July 1988 (Early Saturday Morning)

Location: St. Michael's Cemetery Pensacola Fl.

Time: 02:30-03:00 (ish)

On the way home from the Club I saw lights in the Cemetery... They seemed to be near one of the above ground tombs. Had to get 'EW3' (using rate and rank vice name) back to barracks so making note of this to check out later.

Date: 10 July 1988 (Sunday)

Location: St. Michael's Cemetery Pensacola Fl.

Time: 1520

Temp: 80*

Humidity: High

Rain: Slight

Dew Point: 76*

Walking the Cemetery near the location I spotted the lights on the 9th. Located the above ground tomb of ________________ that has what appears to be candle residue on the top step of the entry. Energy level feels high but without my pendulum and or cards it's really hard to say what kind or why it's 'elevated' in this location. Walked the rest of the cemetery and nothing else feels 'out of sorts'. As I stepped away from the Tomb I thought I heard whispering and as I made my way out of the Cemetery I twice saw what may have been shadow figures darting between gravestones (note to self, one of these was more than likely caused from the headlights of a passing car, the other however happened with empty streets). One additional thing to note, as I looked back at ______________________'s tomb it appeared as if a shadowy figure emerged from the entry (no cars, but may have still been a trick of the streetlights through the trees? Not sure.

Notes on St. Michael's: It is an eight-acre green space in the middle of Pensacola. Research shows it was probably in use by the mid to late 18th century, the land was officially designated a cemetery by the King of Spain in 1807. Although initially assigned to the Catholic inhabitants of Pensacola, people of all faiths have traditionally been buried here.

Date: 13 July 1988 (Wednesday)

Time: 23:00 (out of class early)

Temp: 82*

Humidity: High

Rain: None

Dew Point: 74*

Gates open, entered Cemetery and made my way back to ______________ tomb. Looks the same as before. Energy level still feels high. Seated at the tomb the following questions were asked to (of) the pendulum (Circles for YES, Left to Right swinging for NO. Other answers as indicated). Having established the responses I said a prayer and 'lowered' my shields and asking the following questions:

1) Is there a higher energy level at this location? Response: Circle (Yes)

2) Is this a natural source of energy? Response: Circular motion stops and crystal begins to swing left to right (No).

3) Are spirits being summoned to or at this location? Response: Swinging comes to a halt and crystal begins to swing in a circle again (Yes).

4) Is a candle ritual being used? Response: Circular motion stops and crystal begins to swing back and forth (No).

5) Is a Spirit Board being used? Response: Crystal seems to swing back and forth as well as attempt to go in circles... Not sure?

6) Is a Ouija Board being used? Response: Crystal's movements smooth out into a large circle (Yes)

(I did then, and still do, place a Spirit Board and a Ouija Board in different categories.)

7) Do the individual (s) have experience summoning spirits in this manner? Response: Circle stops back and forth swinging begins (No).

8) Will they return this week at the same time I saw them last week? Response: Crystal spins in a circle (Yes).

9) Have they made contact with something Dark? Response: Crystal begins to spin faster, continuing in a circular pattern (Yes).

(I remember swearing at this point in time)

10) Next response... Yes for Major, No for Minor... Yes for Major, No for Minor. Is this spirit Major or Minor? Response: Crystal slows and begins to swing from left to right (No for Minor)

(I remember giving a sigh of relief here)

11) Next response, Circle for Yes, Swing for No. Next response Circle for Yes, Swing for No.

12) Have Spirits been using this location and energy as a Portal? Response: Crystal begins to swing in a circular pattern (Yes).

At this point I say a prayer and raise my defenses. Energy level still feels high but neither Light nor Dark, simply elevated. NOTE TO SELF: Return before 00:00 on the 16th (good thing it's not a duty weekend).

To keep things 'easier' to read I will note day and time on part two but not enter 'line by line' from my Journal. I will state this, at this time I had still only felt an elevated energy level at the Tomb... It was... More than that, much more.

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-25)
Rynne,

Actually, if you re-read that part the answer I received indicated a minor spirit... Which made me feel a bit better... In my mind (at that time... And to this day) minor spirits are ghosts... Or weaker elementals...Fae...what have you. Major spirits are strong non-human spirits and Demons.

I would much rather deal with a minor spirit than a minor spirit any day.

Respectfully,

Rook
rynne (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-25)
Rook, had several questions, most of which you've addressed. Perhaps I did not understand clearly, but wanted to know why did you feel a sense of relief at learning it was not a 'minor' spirit (#10)? Wouldn't dealing with a 'major' spirit be more challenging? Thanks. Now heading onto read part 2!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-16)
Wow, Thanks to everyone for reading and all the feedback and questions. I will take the time to answer some of them now while others I will leave as they are actually answered in part 2.

Ladydarke,

'Candle residue': I was worried that a candle ritual as well as a Ouija board were being used at this crypt. I was very relieved when the answer to that question was 'negative' which made it likely the candles were just for lighting and possible 'mood'.

'Whispering and shadow figures': I am of the school of thought that graveyards/cemeteries DO NOT harbor MANY spirits. Some exceptions can be that a spirit was attached to an object that was buried with an individual, an individual 'happened' to die in that location (suddenly, violently) and/or that there is a guardian spirit over that piece of property. St. Michael's seemed to fall into the latter category... The 'lights' may be/have been (its been a very, very long time sense I was there), a guardian of some type... Having said that the 'shadows and whispers' seemed to be far more than was warranted for an average graveyard.

'white quartz crystal and pendulums': My choice was based on my comfort level... When I was introduced to pendulums I was given a white quartz crystal one and I always seemed to get the best results when I used that type of stone/crystal. My next 'favorite' would be a sterling silver cross (not a crucifix just a simple cross) hanging from a sterling silver chain. As far a 'training wheels' or highly effective tool? It really depends on the information you are attempting to gather or what its being used for. For some they are merely stepping stones on a longer path while for others its all they need.

'spirit guides' or guardian spirit (s): Guilty (LoL) I have to admit I did not not it in my Journal but at the time of this experience and to this current day I have 2 spirit guides... One is an animal type and the other a...how best to describe 'her'? Ah, a Fey or non-human type. Her form is 'human, female' however she is not a 'human spirit'.

Mystic25,

Just a heads up... I was a solo practicing witch, taking what I had learned up to this point in time and attempting to 'understand the world' and help others. Do not get me wrong I gave (still give) due diligence to Gaia, the Four Winds and Four Elements but I also Called upon 'Heavenly Father', His Son and the Holy Ghost. I have never thought or felt they were 'exclusive' of each other, but rather there could not be one without the other. I am not as free style as I was sense joining and organized Church but my beliefs have not changed concerning the things I learned on my road to the 'Priesthood'.

Redwolf,

'psychometry': Familiar with it, but never used it much... Being an Empath I seem to 'pick up' on emotions that have become attached to an object rather than 'seeing images'.

Oh and ladydrake said pretty much what I would have concerning chakra's.

MaybeADreamer,

There are MANY books out there that individuals wrote just as a means of generating money. However there are some good ones as well... The best 'spell books' are the ones created by individual witch's, never published, full of the rituals and spells they use themselves.

One of my favorite books is this one...

Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose By: Raymond Buckland.

It shows two different versions of all the Rituals contained in the book, One is the 'Old Religion' and the other a 'Christian' version. You may want to check it out.

Again, thanks for all the questions feedback and discussion. I must admit that my Journal keeping 'skills' are not as top notch as they once were. I would also like to take this time to say I have not been so 'diligent' for part 2 in 'copying' directly from my Journal, mostly in the interest of length as it looks like this may stretch to 3 parts. It's still plenty long and detailed, just not 'directly copied' which I durn near did here in Part 1.

Oh and for those who may be wondering...

I am MALE... I was (am) a Witch... And I do not like the term 'Warlock'.

Here is why: The most commonly accepted etymology derives warlock from the Old English wǣrloga meaning "oathbreaker" or "deceiver".

However in early modern Scottish Gaelic, the word came to be used as the male equivalent of witch (which can be male or female, but is used predominantly for females).

One more reference...

Warlock;‎ (plural warlocks) Noun:
1.A male magic-user; a male witch.
2. (obsolete) A traitor or oath-breaker.
3. (obsolete) The Devil, Satan; a demon.

I never liked the term 'warlock' because of its origins, my 'gifts' did not come from 'The Devil/Satan nor am I a traitor or oath-breaker.

Ergo I was (and in some ways still am) a WITCH.

Respectfully,

Rook
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-16)
ladydarke
My neck and back have fusions in them. The neck is fused at C6-7 and I have 2 broken titanium screws that are broken. My husband and kids joke around that I can't be near titanium or I will break it. Now as for my back I am fused from L2- S1 and some of the screws are working their way out. The surgeon who did the surgery says it's because I smoke. I have had 4 Doctors tell me that is B.S...I also have a herniated and bulging disks in my neck and back that are new because of I got rear ended over 2 years ago.
As far as my putting the fact that I shut myself down after predicting the attacks on the Twin Towers I refused to receive any more predictions for a long time. I used to be able to heal myself after surgeries through meditation and typically healed a lot faster than the
Doctors expected. I found out that I had 2 broken screws shortly after the attacks.

The only out of body experience was shortly after one of my back surgeries was in my story Outter Heaven where I visited my grandparents in Heaven. I had awoken early and my husband had not left for work yet. He made the comment that I must have been exhausted because I didn't move a muscle nor had I whimpered in my sleep as I usually did.
MaybeADreamer (4 stories) (58 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Hi Rook

I enjoyed reading about your experience. It was an interesting read.

When I was younger (at school) my friend's mum was a witch and I was very interested in it but never got around to asking more about it. I bought various books, cards, crystals but never actually did anything with them. I would like to ask you what would be the best way of looking into this sort of thing. I have heard that things like "spell books" are commercial pants!

Anyway, I look forward to reading part 2, thank you.

Sara xx
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Thanks Rook, what you said about different energy makes a lot of sense. I also love what you said about communicating with the natural environment, rather than with spirits directly.

(As a side note, totally loving the overall discussion going on in here, deep man.) 😉
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Rook,
What a nice surprise to see this was written by you! Like ladydarke, I can't help but wonder if there was a reason that particular tomb was singled out? Is there some legend connected to it? Or perhaps, like you, someone was attracted there by a strange light.
I googled St. Michael's hoping to get a 'feeling' for the place. Several articles I read mentioned such a light around certain graves being seen at night. Makes me wonder...
Waiting for part two...
ladydarke (113 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Redwolf,

You didn't ask me, but I just wanted to chip in and say that psychometry is awesome! >^.^< Great way to practice focused intuition without resorting to the need for intermediary tools. Also if you can get the object's owner to validate your readings, it really helps toward learning what an authentic intuition "feels" like such that you come to trust rather than dismiss them.

Also as far as being "farther along" - odds are you're just where you need to be. Everybody is on their own path, taking their own direction at their own pace. I don't think its really possible to even measure, let alone compare, progress.

Perhaps I'm overstepping here, Redwolf, and if so please tell me to mind my own business, but in regards to your neck and back problems, I wondered if you'd considered chakra healing in conjunction with medical treatment? The reason I ask is that the neck area corresponds to the throat chakra, which in turn resonates with speaking one's truth. There's that one paragraph you wrote:

"...after predicting the attacks on the Twin Towers I just put the brakes on. I used to heal very quickly but with all the messed up things in my neck and back I can't concentrate on healing myself anymore."

What struck me is that on the surface the two thoughts are unrelated, yet for you they flow together as if connected. That makes me think, isn't that paragraph like you're really saying, "After I stifled my voice and my truth, I don't heal well anymore and my neck and back are messed up"?

Anyway, here's a throat chakra link: http://healing.about.com/cs/chakras/a/chakra5.htm Please click that one other link that article gives for criticism: I get the sense that you have a hard time accepting compliments and you might find some food for thought there.

Anyway, sorry for butting in on a comment you directed at Rook: I'd like to hear his reply too. I'll just fade back to lurk mode and get off his platform now. My apologies for derailing from this experience.

Cheers.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Rook
Excellent story! I have a question, have you ever used psychometry? The reason I ask is because you have never mentioned it before and it's a good median for reading people. Especially those closed off gaurded type.
I've used the pendulum but without a stand. My husband thinks I'm moving the necklace or ring on a chain, but unless it involves his father or my grandfather there are no such things as ghosts. I know. HUH?
I know that I should be further along in as far as astral projecting and such but after predicting the attacks on the Twin Towers I just put the brakes on. I used to heal very quickly but with all the messed up things in my neck and back I can't concentrate on healing myself anymore.
I can't wait for your next story.
Respectfully,
Red
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Rook, This has most definitely stirred my interest and I look forward to the second part. Its not often that you can hear too many true accounts of formerly practiced witches. Very well written.
Argette (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Well done report. I don't know enough about such things to say more, but Rook, your knowledge, methodology and approach are admirable. Thank you.
ladydarke (113 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Hi Rook,

This is an intriguing account. Thanks for sharing! I keep picturing this coming to a climax the next week where a batch of teenagers with a Ouiji board show up, you come merging out of the darkness setting them all screaming, and they end up freaked as heck that you knew they'd be there and what they're doing. May as well show up and say, "I'm Batman," lol. That's a pretty good demo that there's more going on than in the seen worlds they know. Served!

I've been semi-interested in pendulums for a while. Took a seminar on pendulum use once at a psychic fair, and it covered just enough to show the vast scope of use for a pendulum. The teacher gave everybody a washer on string to play with. I never pursued it because my conclusion in general was that a pendulum is training wheels on the path of learning to tap into intuitive knowledge/universal knowledge/whatever-you-want-to-call-it under one's own aegis. Not knocking pendulum use over here, training wheels absolutely serve a purpose if you understand what they are and work on growing beyond them rather than turning them into a crutch. Just at the point I took that seminar, I felt I was past needing training wheels.

I wonder, how do you view pendulum use from where you stand today given you've moved into astral projection and whatnot? Crude stone axe? Training wheels? Still see it as a highly effective tool?

Did you have spirit guides at the time? I gather you weren't using the pendulum to commune with such, but I'm wondering if you involved them in any way? Perhaps for protection or in the prayer you did before dropping shields?

Also wondering about your choice of white quartz crystal. I understand it's nice and safe, a good basic protection crystal, but that seems like putting your training wheels on a tricycle. If you had other means of protection in place (ie, guides acting as bouncers), why not choose a crystal to enhance data feed? Maybe amethyst: enhances psychic propensity, aids telepathy and spirit communication, also gives psychic protection? So, as someone who's never used a pendulum, I'm wondering what made you go with the white quartz? Did you always use white quartz as a pendulum?

Did you get the sense that the whispering and shadow figures you saw were *all* directly connected to the evident Ouija-conjuring and its resultant energy pool? If so, what are your thoughts on that connection? You figure the one leaving the tomb was the one it belonged to or just using it as a door? What about the rest elsewhere in the grounds?

When you say you found "candle residue" - I'm assuming wax - was it just one spot like someone brought a single candle purely for spooky ambient light, or did it suggest many candles set out in a potentially ritualistic pattern?

You excised out the name on the tomb, which is totally fair, but could you tell us whether there was any known history attached to the occupant? Town founder, local villain, or some such? Basically, did it seem like a random nice place to sit, or might there have been some dramatic flair around a historic figure such that someone would want to contact *that* spirit?

I'm impressed with how early-on you were keeping journal records and the type of information you thought to record. Thanks a lot for sharing this experience. I enjoyed reading it and I'm looking forward to the continuation!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Thanks for answering my questions Rook. I know what you mean about walking into certain areas and feeling uncomfortable. I feel (at least for me) that such feelings can also be informed by expectation (for instance if an area is reputedly haunted) and even by the time of day (walking around an abandoned house at night could be more emotionally uncomfortable than in daylight). Not that such possibilities could explain all uncomfortable feelings but they could explain some.

I like how you didn't try to contact spirits directly but allowed what was there to come to you. Your perspective was interesting to read. I guess my only thoughts outside of what you nicely detailed would be the ideas I mentioned above.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Manofon,

One of my first teachers taught me not to base judgements on a spirits nature based on my first reaction...i.e. 'just becasue it scared you does not make it 'dark/evil'.' So I based my Judgement on the way the atmosphere felt... Harder to explain that I thought... Have you ever walked into an area and felt uncomfortable? That area would have a 'dark/evil/negative' type energy filling it. Whereas an area that feels welcoming and comfortable has a 'positive/good/light' energy filling it. Heck my 'cleansing method' is based upon this idea.

As far as any spirits I contacted being honest goes, I suppose there is a chance I let my own 'impressions' of the area influence the answers via the pendulum... However please note I did not attempt to contact any spirits directly, to be perfectly honest I was hoping the answers I was receiving were from 'nature, the environment' itself rather than any particular spirit. After 2.5 years with my instructor and my own research I had come to trust my instincts and became a solo practitioner.

Tweed,

A psychic board and spirit board are very similar. They are both used for communication with spirits and the 'modern Ouija board' is based on them... But I have always made a distinction between a 'spirit board' (being hand crafted can have 'defenses' or shields built in by whomever crafted it) as opposed to the mass produced Ouija board 'created' for entertainment purposes.

In rearguards to Major or minor Spirits, at the time it was my train of thought that spirits could be 'Major' (Angels/Demons) or 'Minor' (Human spirits with 'good or bad intent'. I even had a third category which was 'non-human', i.e. The Fey, Elemental's and Nature spirits. I must admit at this point I did begin asking my questions with the mindset that 'human spirits and or Angels/Demons' were being contacted. Based mostly on the location I was in.

A natural source of energy would be something like the crossing of Ley lines, running water or a built up natural source of power based on the environment. Spirits are attracted to becasue of the high levels of natural energy in these locations. Another source is 'charged crystals', a crystal ball and even 'talking boards' (include all that have been discussed) these are objects that 'energy' has been focused on or into for the purpose of of attracting spirits.

I hope that answers your questions, please keep them coming.

Respectfully,

Rook
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Rook--I enjoyed reading your detailed account very much. I am curious as to how you ascertained with confidence whether the spirits you were in contact with were light or dark. As I mention in a (hopefully) soon to be published story here on YGS, while using a Ouija board as a teenager, I was in contact with what claimed to be two spirits who answered questions I put forward, but I had no way of knowing if they were simply being deceptive.

I know you were a practicing witch at the time and my question is how do you know with certainty that the spirits you were in contact with using your pendulum and board were honest in their communications? I know nothing about Wicca and am interested in your perspective on this.

Looking forward to part two.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Hi Rook,

I've enjoyed reading your experiences over recent months, you've had such varied and emotional encounters. Pleasantly surprised to read a new one.

Have a few questions about some of the phrases you use in your entries.

What is a spirit board? Is it the same as a 'psychic board'? (A term I heard years ago which confused me ever since!)

What are major and minor spirits?

When you asked about a natural source of energy, what other sources of energy could be used?

Looking forward to part two! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: