You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Hand Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

A Hand Haunting

 

There's one spirit in my house that always seems to enjoy making noise and scaring me. I can't help but feel that he is a bad spirit. I still remember the first (and only) time I physically saw him.

Our family used to have two guinea pigs and a rabbit in our basement (all three have since passed away). My job was to clean the guinea pigs' cage every weekend.

To give you an idea of my surroundings, these pets lived in the basement. Our rabbit had a huge cage with multiple shelves that he could jump on. The shelves were made of wood, and usually made a pretty loud noise when he jumped. We had a big, plastic fence that created a pen. The guinea pigs and rabbit would be let out in the pen throughout the day, but at different times (due to our rabbit being rather large, and we were scared he would kick one or both of the guinea pigs and seriously hurt or kill them.) Our cats knew that the guinea pigs were always guaranteed to be out when I was cleaning the cage, so at least one of them would be in the basement with me whenever I cleaned the cage. The guinea pig cage was up against the wall, so I would have my back to the rest of the basement while cleaning. The pen is on concrete floor, so I could hear the guinea pigs moving around due to their claws. Although they usually didn't make any noise, and just hung out near our rabbits cage so they could munch on any hay sticking out.

As I was cleaning the cage, I suddenly saw my cat go running away out of the corner of my eye. Simultaneously, both the guinea pigs started squeaking and sounded like they were running around like crazy while our rabbit started jumping from level to level. Confused, I turned around to see a hand coming at me. The hand was solid, but white, and I could still see the wall behind it. It stopped right at the wrist, but the hand was fully extended as it came towards me. It was coming very fast, as if someone was running. I immediately jumped over the pen and tore upstairs, running in a wide berth around the hand. I have no idea if it turned back around after me as I never looked back.

The odd thing is that even though I never saw anything more than a hand, I clearly remember having a distinct impression of a man.

Upstairs, we have a study. We always leave the light on in this study at night. All my siblings and I swear, though, that we can always hear both (the two computers in there) typing at night. If you stand in the doorway, you can see the keys move even though no one is there. Yet, the computers are always off.

I've sometimes been brave enough to enter at night. I always get the distinct impression of a man again, and I believe it is the same man that came at me with his hand. The room always feels cold and makes me uncomfortable. I don't feel like he's angry, but I do feel like he's up to no good. Entering the room always causes for the typing to stop until you leave. I've tried leaving the computers on and opened on a document at night, in the hopes that he'll type out a message. Yet, if I stand outside the door and look in on these nights, the computers are always somehow turned off, and continue to be off the next morning. It seems like whatever he wants, he has no interest in sharing with me.

I've also been woken up numerous times to feeling like a cold hand is on my face. Sometimes, when I'm in bed, the covers will suddenly get lightly yanked. Not like he's trying to rip them off, but like a little reminder of "I'm here!" It doesn't seem to be in a friendly playful way. Whenever this happens, I get the distinct impression of a thin, smirking mouth. When I'm in bed, or just doing something in the house, I'll sometimes feel a light tug at my hair. Not hard enough to hurt, but again, as a reminder of his presence. Again, I get the distinct impression of thin lips smirking. I tend to try to do my best to ignore him.

I also believe that he causes banging in the basement. My parents' bedrooms vent is connected to our basement, and by the head of my mom's side of the bed. When I was little, I liked to sleep in a sleeping bag on my mom's side of the bed, so I was near this vent. Only at night is there repeated banging that comes from the basement, but you can only hear it through the vents. My mom has always said that it's our rabbit jumping around. But, I've slept in the basement on numerous occasions (alone and on sleepovers) and our rabbit has not jumped around during the night. On occasion, he will move once or twice, but nothing like the banging that comes from the vent. Even during the day when he is active, he doesn't move around as much as I would hear coming from the vent. I've always had a nagging suspicious that my smirking-hand man is behind this.

Another interesting thing with the computers is that if my door is open at night, I can hear him typing away madly. If he isn't typing, I hear someone walking up and down the stairs, but softly. I believe that when he isn't typing, he just continues to go up and down the stairs. But, if you go and stand at the top of the stairs, you'll see no one and the footsteps stop. I've never attempted to go on the staircase to see if it feels the same as the study though.

Also, years ago, my sister (possibly my brother?) and I were bothered by knocking sounds during the night. I never got an impression of a person during that time - such as the face or gender. I've since wondered though if it was him all along, or a completely different ghost.

Other hauntings by NinjaPirateAssasin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NinjaPirateAssasin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roccermom85 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-12)
Pretty creepy story! Thanks for sharing! If you ever see that hand again, maybe don't leave him hanging next time!
NinjaPirateAssasin (9 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
Macknorton, I've always wondered about that too! Our home was built on farmland and Indians lived nearby. When I was younger, I assumed the hand was from a fight between the two sides that led to a hand being lost. But, I realized that wouldn't explain the footsteps (if he is connected to those) or the fact that I get a mouth visual. Maybe he had been trying to get my attention for a while and I had failed to notice and he got mad? He definitely seems to like getting attention!

Brian 10, as he's never physically hurt me, getting a priest isn't that high up on my list. He doesn't seem to like to bother the rest of my family, just me. Another problem is that my parents own the house and still live there, and they don't believe in the paranormal. Bringing a priest around, or even asking them to consider it would not go well!
Brian10 (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
I Highly recommend to talk to a priest and ask him about anything about this hand see is he can help you.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-15)
NPA, I don't blame you for checking your around your basement, I'd be exactly the same!

Mack, I too wonder at the thought process behind some of these idiotic decisions.😕 Just goes to show, as in life so in death.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Yes, sounds like a very unpleasant, annoying soul.

I always wonder about the thought processes of some of these passed over idiots. You know, if it was a conscious thing whereby it saw you in the basement and thought to himself " Hmmmm, now what would scare the living daylights out of this child? Mmmm, let me think... Oh! I know, I'll materialize only my hand and run at her! Bwahahahah!"
Pretty sick really, and the cold hand on your face... What a creep.

Thanks for sharing, and you sound very brave!

Mack
NinjaPirateAssasin (9 stories) (16 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Tweed, I live there during summer and breaks now (I'm a college student). I've never cleansed or shielded the house, as nothing has ever physically hurt me in the past 19 years. If something did, I would do it!

The hand definitely scared me! I still look for it every time I'm in the basement, just to make sure it's not there!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-14)
Urggh NPA, I hate this creep, he sounds awful!

Do you still live there? Have you ever cleansed and shielded yourself and your house?

That typing nonsense, it almost definitely has a taunting intention behind it, same with the EVERYTHING else you described.

That hand gakhgahglahg! 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: