You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Reassuring Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Reassuring Friend

 

A friend of mine and many others passed away quite suddenly at the end of 2014. I was in my final year at university and was in the midst of dissertation research. Needless to say, his passing had a pretty strong effect on me - and it still does today.

A few weeks later I went home for the Christmas break to see my family and pick up some extra work. Unfortunately, this meant I wasn't around for my friend's funeral. I wanted to be there to say goodbye but could not afford to travel so far more than was absolutely necessary. I had led a toast to his memory just before we left for Christmas which I saw as sort of saying goodbye but being at the funeral would have felt more real, more like I cared.

I don't know whether this all happened because I was feeling guilty about not being able to go but here is where my story turns to the ghostly...

I was in bed, at my parents' house. It wasn't that late, probably around 11pm. My room is fairly light because there's a streetlamp opposite my window and it's only recently been turned off at night. As I lay there trying to relax, I saw something by my window. As I looked properly, it took the outline of a very tall man. This was my friend. I am certain. He had a very unique look that was instantly identifiable, even in a dark club across the room.

I was so frightened I shut my eyes very tightly and asked him to please not visit me while I was awake. I didn't feel like I could cope with that and wouldn't be much use but I wanted to know he was okay so I asked him to visit in my dreams. I wouldn't be scared if he did that and he could tell me what he wanted.

Later that night, I dreamed about him and he told me he was doing fine. We hugged and I said goodbye properly.

One year on I was on his Facebook page reading wonderful messages from his friends. I noticed his mother had written that she knew he was okay because he had told her. Another friend said he had visited them in their dreams. Looks like he got my message about it being less scary, and he knows how important it is that people know he's all right.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LizP, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
This is one my favorites! Reminds me of a really good friend of mine who passed away in October 2013.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-24)
Greetings and Welcome, Liz!

I'm just taking a quick break from grading my students' Midterm Exams, and this positive, heartwarming story has given me a little boost of enthusiasm. It's now in my 'favorites' list.

Thanks for sharing with us;

Biblio.
Nsbf1986 (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Hello Liz. Your story is very touching. Well I'm not an expert on the subject but good spirits that don't have the need to pay for anything earthly faults, with divine authorization, can come and tell their loved ones they are okay. Feel flattered for that. Sometimes they do that because spirits suffer with the grief of the loved ones, and letting them know everything is okay, is a way of spreading relief not only for the loved ones but also for them in the spiritual world. Your friend must be very happy!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Thank you for sharing your lovely story. I do enjoy warm fuzzy contacts. I said the same thing to my father, visit in dreams only so I won't be frightened of you! I have had some wonderful visits from him, and others who have passed.

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to ask my Grandma on my mothers side to visit tonight as it just occurred to me I have never dreamed of her after her passing. Ill let you know if she drops in on demand lol.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
No, that was the only time but that was all that was needed as the message had been delivered and understood.
sn69 (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
Ohh yes, it is true... When you do care for someone, then you get the same back...😁...loved reading your story... It was short, touching & magical and that's what makes it more perfect, I would say...
Regards & respects to you
Sn69
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
Liz, this was just beautiful and, as you say, magical. Thanks so much for sharing. ❤
LizP (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
It was a great experience, I don't think it's opened me up to the idea of seeing spirits though. I'm still quite unsettled by it, even if I do know and love them.

And yes, Hayden/haunter, it really does reflect how this friend was in life; he cared and made time for everyone. To know he's doing that now is... Magical. I hope lots of people get to experience this kind of love from beyond.

Mack, it's wonderful that your Grandmother was able to visit you like that. Have you seen her again?
I sometimes ask to see my friend again but I think our goodbye was it. Although that's sad, I'm glad to know he's visiting other people. Also, if he kept coming back, that one moment might lose some of its importance and I always want to remember it.

Best,
Liz
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-19)
Hi LizP - welcome and thanks for sharing.

That's a really nice experience, and is a welcome change to the usually terrifying things happening to folk on these pages...

It resonates with me as I had the same kind of experience with my Grandmother who passed away about 20 years ago now but I still remember an extremely vivid dream.

A few days after she passed, I dreamt I saw her standing on a field. She had a crutch which I came to believe was symbolic for her recovering in some way - possibly due to the emphysema that eventually killed her (don't smoke kids!).

Anyway, the most vivid part was that she was smiling at me and I just "knew" that she was telling me she was ok. And I felt a lot better about the whole affair after that, knowing that not only was she still "alive" but she was doing ok...

Cheers

Mack
haunter (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-19)
well that was just great and touching as well, I have to say... Your story does show how friends really do matter to one...that's how life is... You move on a step... Then you get an interruption...& you again keep moving forward...😁 Anyway, it was great reading... Take care:)
With Regards Hayden aka haunter

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: