You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Was It A Voodoo Doll?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It A Voodoo Doll?

 

This story relates again to the residential home I worked in. I cared for a lady who, as her health declined, was moved to various rooms in the home to suit her particular needs at the time. This obviously involved a lot of furniture/clothes removal and repositioning in the new rooms.

But the thing myself and my colleagues noticed was the atmosphere or feel of every room she occupied just felt "off". No cold spots or anything we could put our finger on but just a general feeling of something not quite right. And no matter which part of the building or which room she was in, the feeling was always there.

One evening we had to move her furniture to what was her final room in the home. She had a very large heavy mahogany chest where a lot of her clothes were kept and we had to empty this and her wardrobe before moving them.

So after dinner myself and my colleague began removing all the items from the chest and wardrobe and taking them to the new room. We moved the bed, chest, wardrobe etc, set up the room and began replacing all the personal items, clothing, etc back into them.

My colleague picked up a stack of shirts to replace in the draw of the chest, and as she bent to place them inside they toppled and fell out of her hands on to the floor. As she picked them up, she suddenly stopped, turned to me and asked, "What the hell is this? Have you seen this before?" I turned to see her holding a piece of pink gauzy material in one hand and a small doll in the other.

She held the doll out towards me and said "This was wrapped in the material, what is it?" I stepped forward to look. The only thing I can describe it as is a Voodoo doll. It had a pale coloured material body, trousers, an embroidered jacket open at the front, a long lock of hair hanging from its head, and a strange symbol that looked kind of like a child's drawing of a boat on its chest. It also had a drawn on face with small beads for eyes. It was small, an inch and a half in length, but very detailed.

Looking at it gave me the creeps to be honest, but I tried to laugh about it and said "Never seen it before, don't want to see it again! Wrap it back up, put it back and say sorry for dropping it on its head!"

My colleague laughed and said "You're right!" then to the doll "I apologise for dropping you!" wrapped it up and replaced it where she thought it had fallen from. We both felt a bit nervous so finished up and left the room.

We spoke to our team leader about it as neither of us had seen it before and all personal items are documented when brought in. She could find no mention of the little doll in any of the residents paperwork, but added it as a footnote to the existing list.

I often wonder was it a Voodoo doll? I've never seen anything like it before, the detail was very intricate from the face to the embroidery on the clothing, and the symbol on the chest was very weird. Was this why there was always a strange atmosphere in her rooms? Does anyone have any ideas?

Other hauntings by Angelkiss

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Angelkiss, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-05)
Interesting. I've read about 15 or so of the huge number of stories about apparently paranormal events associated with dolls. There appear to be two schools of thought on the matter:
-that the doll itself is possessed or haunted
-that a spirit is simply causing the doll to move

The key difference seems to be whether the spirit or other entity is inherently linked to the doll versus whether the doll is an incidental object to manipulate for some other purpose.

I suppose the same two schools of thought would exist with respect of any other type of object that appears to be central to some form of paranormal activity?

Conflicting theories are of course commonplace on paranormal matters. But I was wondering if anyone could point me to a thorough piece of research on this subject?
Angelkiss (7 stories) (46 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Thanks for all your comments and insights guys
Unfortunately we will never know for sure but it was a very strange and interesting item
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
I agree with zzsgranny. I don't believe it was a voodoo doll and was probably a treasured momento from her childhood, or even something a child made for her.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+7
8 years ago (2016-01-22)
Angelkiss: While I don't consider myself an expert, I do have the hobby of cloth doll making. So in the course of learning this skill, I did some research. Every culture and economical status has their own version of what little girls and boys would play with. It really is interesting, at least to me 😆.

Since the "age of author" is middle aged (yeah, that darned distinction lol!) I'm assuming that the lady you were looking after was probably born sometime around the turn of the previous century? If so, this could've been a doll from her childhood or one of her sisters or other family members. If she's a bit younger than that, it still could've belonged to her Mother or even Grandmother for that matter. I have in my possession the first doll my Mom ever had. She's in her mid 80's now, and the doll was a used item when she received at the age of 9. It's made from composition material, which means compressed sawdust covered by a thin layer of plastic. I think they considered this material as "the poor girl's" china when dolls were just beginning to be mass produced.

Now that I've droned on about all that stuff, I don't think the doll in your account was a voodoo doll. BUT, I do believe there may have been some energy attached to it by the previous owner, or the lady herself. I know I'll never let go of my Mom's doll, even though she's not worth a lot of money, to me she is irreplaceable and priceless.
Angelkiss (7 stories) (46 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Hi yheladeth
Thank you for your comments and your insights
That's helped greatly
I've often wondered about it but never knew where to start researching
I believe the lady had a child who was quite disabled and died in her early 20's. I'm now wondering if it could have been something related to that, helping her heal emotionally maybe
Thnk you
😁
Yheladeth (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Sorry I meant to say "Agwé who is represented by a boat" 😜 My computer corrected it to the spanish word for boat 😭
Yheladeth (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-21)
Hi Angelkiss! I think that what you saw was indeed a voodoo doll. I am not an expert in voodoo but I usually read about religions and when I read about the boat-like symbol I remembered that the Loas -spirits of voodoo) are represented by different symbols. I searched a bit and it hapenned to be one called Agwé who is represented by a bote. I think that it is important to say that voodoo is not always meant to harm, it can be used to heal and guide. I'm not stating anything, just trying to see every point of view. Maybe the doll was placed there by someone trying to help the lady with her health issues.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: