You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House on Cambridge 2

Real Ghost Stories

The House on Cambridge 2

 

So this second part to my first story, The House on Cambridge, and it picks-up where the first left-off -- about a month into having just moved-in. To bring you up-to-date, even before we bought the place, my mother had seen and heard things which were not there upon further investigation. My stepfather was beginning to question my mother's sanity a little. Nobody else had really experienced anything out of the ordinary but her at this point. That is until my little brother, J, started complaining about "the white lady..."

It's difficult to relate this story now because it all started in the early 1990s and most was kept hidden from the children in the family to avoid scaring them. However, my brother, J, had no such luck as the entities in the house took an almost instant shining to him (pardon the pun). There may be some discrepancies in the timeline, but I'll do my best to remain accurate.

I believe it was that first autumn that we moved-in in 1991 that my little brother who was about six years old at the time came into my parents' room one night and said exactly this, "that lady won't leave me alone..." At first, neither parent was too alarmed over this as children have vivid imaginations. Mine was so active that as a child, I often related dreams to my parents the next morning as adventures I'd actually experienced the previous day. At any rate, that first night, they took him back to his room and put him back in bed. He slept the rest of the night without any problems.

But within a few days, J was back in my parents' room in the middle of the night complaining that "the woman" was keeping him awake. This time, she was supposedly pulling down his sheets and waking him up. At this point, my mother thought this was an awfully specific bit of information coming from a first grader, but my stepfather was unruffled. Again, they took him back and tucked him into bed.

This went on rather regularly for the next several weeks, until one night my brother upped the ante when he informed my parents very loudly at 4 AM one night that "she" was tickling him. At this point, my mother was keenly aware of something going on and even my stepfather started to wonder what was really going on with his son. Again, they put him back in his bed, but this time, my mother expressed to my stepfather her belief that something supernatural was occurring in their house. Her experiences in conjunction with J's lended credibility to this stance in her eyes, but my stepfather was still, not only skeptical, but totally unbelieving. If you have never experienced something supernatural, it is virtually impossible to believe it. You may believe in ghosts without having seen one, but until you come into direct contact with them, it's just a different story.

Both my parents were awoken on a few occasions to the sound of someone walking around the landing of the second floor at about 4 AM some nights. Upon inspecting these noises, there would, of course, be nobody there. Both would hear this, but, because we had seven people living in a very old house, my stepfather would chalk it up to random kids out of bed and creaky floors.

My brother would creep into our parents' room with some regularity throughout his childhood complaining of "the lady in [his] room..." But it was not until one afternoon the next summer that my mother felt absolutely sure that she was not crazy and that there really was a spirit sharing the house with us.

One afternoon, my brother, J, was out in the front yard hitting whiffle golf balls. My mother was inside cleaning the foyer which, of course, is the first space you enter upon coming in the front door which was made of glass. All at once, in mid-swing, she saw my brother freeze, drop his club and come racing in the front door. Perplexed by his sudden moves and pained look on his face, she asked him what was wrong. He replied, "they keep saying my name and asking me to play with them," or something along those lines. It was a long time ago and nobody wrote this down verbatim, but the crux of this anecdote is that his first name was whispered in his ear and he was implored to join in a game. And he was visibly upset. At this point, my mother was adamant that her house was haunted and split no straws over the fact with my stepfather.

My stepfather would eventually be convinced of the possibility of a haunting (and then some), but that story will have to comprise part III.

Other hauntings by Ohiowatha

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ohiowatha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-10)
Wow, your brother J must have really felt out there. Did he also not tell the rest of you children what was going on? I only ask as my kids tell everyone everything it seems. 😊 Of course, if your parents were not talking... Thank you for part two of a very interesting and well communicated read.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Ohiowatha, Thanks for the next installment of your very haunted home. As always, very enjoyable reading! Can't wait to hear more.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
Ohiowatha, I gave you a raz but I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed your story! Your Cambridge tales are like my 'Uncle Rocky' stories, too much for one story! I'm also looking forward the next installment, don't make us wait too long! 😉
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
WOW Ohiowatha,
This is cruelty I tell you! Right when you are getting excited then you get the "to be continued" 😭
Thanks for sharing, I love the way you describe everything down to a "T" that is how I like to read stories.

Thanks and can't wait to read the next 😁
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Hi, Emma,

The answers to your questions are:

1) Because this started happening in 1991 when he was 6. He's now 6' 5" 220 pounds and 22 years old. He can take care of himself. Especially in a fight.

2) Because my parents kept this activity a secret from the other four children to avoid scaring them.

Thanks for reading.
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
Why isn't anyone in your family speaking up for your brother? If there was a neighborhood kid picking on my little brother/sister, I would certain raise my voice against that neighborhood kid and tell him to knock it off. Sure, the neighborhood kid in this case happens to be a white lady and embodied voices, but something should be said, otherwise they'll continue to spook the little guy.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
I hear you, Bellisima. To clarify, I have experienced things that I cannot explain. Are these things the incarnations of deceased human beings? THAT, I cannot say. All I can do is employ acceptable tools of communication to describe them. I mean, you hear a voice, but there is not a body behind it--what is it? Is it a "ghost?" There's just not enough evidence for me to decide one way or another what it is. It's like being in a tunnel with a match. It ignites, and for a second, you can see a bit of where you are, but not enough to get the whole picture. I think someday we'll possess the scientific acumen to figure out what all this is, but until then, I will have to just bite the bullet and call them "ghosts" because that's what people accept at this time.

And the prophetic dreams some members of my family have, I don't know what those are about, either. Perhaps they're messages FROM "ghosts" or whatnot--again, I just don't know. So for a lack of a better word, I will just go with what people recognize for the sake of communication, impoverished though it is.

Thanks for reading, glad you guys like these stories. It appears at this rate because I like to describe things down to the detail, there may be about 5 installations to adequately relay all the things that transpired there.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Ohiowatha, thanks for part II of your story, finally! Now your saying we have to wait for part III! Your a stinker I'll tell you! 😜I would find that this house of yours, from the sound of it, had/has a very active haunting. Sounds like they were pretty harmless but were annoying to your little brother at night! Either way I think it's still creepy to be living with them always there and you knowing it. I'll be here waiting for your next one! 😊~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Ohiowatha, I remember a time, not so long ago, that you refused to say 'ghost' or 'haunting'. Now you've used both in the same story! Is it possible that you are ready to admit there are such things? You just didn't want to admit it! You are too knowledgeable, you have great advice. Fess up, you were looking into these types of experiences before you joined us. You were too shy to admit it! I'm feeling cheeky, I thought I'd give you a raz! 😆
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Finally the long awaited and much anticipated second story and now we have to wait for a third.
How cruel you are sir. LOL😜 Interesting tidbits there Ohiowatha, I wonder what interesting things took place at your home so long ago that these spirits should become trapped there? Thanks for sharing your story with us and looking forward to part three.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: