You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Of Cemeteries And Portals And Possession (part 2)

Real Ghost Stories

Of Cemeteries And Portals And Possession (part 2)

 

Date: 15-16 July 1988

Time: 00:15

Location: St Michael's Cemetery Pensacola Fl.

Running late, class got out at 2330 almost an hour later than normal for a Friday. I arrived about 45 minutes later than I had hoped to. I entered the cemetery and made my way towards the tomb, as I got close I saw 3 individuals, all male, sitting in front of the tomb. 4 lit candles had been placed around something on the ground which the 3 sat around with arms extended towards. I was able to get really close before I was noticed by one of the men who let the others know someone was watching. To their credit, they did not run off and I was able to introduce myself and ask what they were doing. They explained they were contacting the spirit of C's Great grandfather (I recorded their names in my Journal but for the sake of anonymity I will not use them... They will be A, B and C). I asked them their names and ages which turned out to be pretty close to my own (A was 18 years old, B was 18. 5 years old and C was 20 years old). I asked why attempt this in the cemetery and C answered that his mother always told him this was his Great Grandfather's tomb and that since he was not allowed to use the Ouija Board in his home he had decided to attempt it at the gravesite (My impression was that the board should not be used AT ALL). I asked how long they had been doing this and was told sense the end of June. I asked why start at midnight and was told, 'because it's the Witching Hour' (This turned into a long conversation because as a Witch I knew this to be a myth, YGS members you know my stance on this... For those who do not... There is no such thing). Once done explaining about 'the witching hour' I asked if they had made contact with any spirits. Answer: Yes. _______________ responded and had kept speaking with them each time they retuned. I asked how they opened a session and how they closed a session and was not happy with the reply. C stated that when they would start a session they would light the candles and before touching the Board they would ask that only 'good' spirits communicate with them. After that they would begin to make contact and ask questions. I asked about their first session... Basically whom did they ask to make contact with and was told by C that they had started by saying, "Are there any spirits here that would like to communicate with us?" Once a spirit made contact they asked its name and it replied "My Tomb", so they thought they had made contact with C's Great Granddad. I asked if they had requested any proof and was told, no they had not, as it seemed HIGHLY LIKELY that they had actually made contact with the spirit whose former physical body rested in the tomb. I asked If they had made contact this night and was told I had interrupted a 'conversation' and that they had not been surprised nor run off because the spirit had told them I was approaching, but I was not Security, nor the Police. I asked them to close the session and stood 'aghast' (Yup, that's the word in my Journal) as they all placed their fingers on the Board and instead of saying goodbye to the spirit and moving the Planchette to the word GOODBYE on the board, C stated this, "___________ we leave you now, but keep this portal open so that when we next attempt contact it will be easier." They packed up their equipment and I explained my background, which they seem to except, I also offered to help them and they accepted. Meeting set up for the 19th at C's home.

Date: 19 July 1988

Time: 12:00

Location: C's Home

Arrived at C's home, present were A, B and C as well as myself. Discussion centered on their Board Sessions and the 'open connection' they had been leaving at the Cemetery. A, B and C let me know they had contacted a total of 3 spirits, the first one being C's Great Grandfather, an unidentified female spirit and another male spirit that gave them the name Clyde, A Confederate soldier during the Civil War. Over the past 4 weeks, after establishing solid contact with these three spirits (asking basic questions about their own backgrounds) over a 4 week period of time they were ready to begin asking questions of their future, which I interrupted. I asked if any of them had begun experiencing anything at their own homes after starting the Board sessions. After a few minutes B mentioned that he had been hearing noises in his room, mostly voices... Just low enough that he could not make out what they were saying he stated it sounded like a conversation between a woman and a man. After this C mentioned the relationship with his longtime girlfriend had suddenly come to an end, and that she had complained of the time he was spending communicating with his Great Grandfather, when I asked C admitted that he had been using the Board while at home and alone and she told him he had become obsessed and did not seem like the man she had met. I explained to them that by not closing the board session the spirits, not just the ones that spoke with them, may have developed an attachment to them... That they may be getting oppressed or even worse. A and B both looked worried but C played it off as no big deal and that I was just trying to scare them (Note to self: C's actions and voice seemed... Different somehow... Higher vocal pitch and his body language had changed... Before topic of relationship had been breached he had been sitting with his legs out in front of the chair, crossed at the ankles right over left... As the pitch of his voice changed he sat upright, arms at his sides, legs bent at the knees and feet planted firmly side by side). I did however convince A and B that the session should at least be closed properly and they in turn convinced C of the same (Note to self: as they spoke with him his voice regained its deeper timbre and he returned to his 'lounging' position with his legs extended with his feet crossed at the ankles, right over left) . I arranged to meet them on the evening of the 21st at 00:00 (Thursday becoming Friday) I explained that I wanted to attempt the closing off of the cycle they had established so that it may be easier to accomplish.

Date 20 July 1988

Time: 0100

Out of class and going over the Journal entry from earlier today...yesterday, whatever... I am concerned for C. The change I witnessed bothers me and I hope that what I have planned will be enough to break any links between these 3 and the Portal (in the making, or already made?) and any spirits they have been communicating with and that can form when spirit communication sessions are not closed properly. Bring Scriptures, Cards, Candles, and the Amethyst, Amber, Hematite and Clear Quartz.

(Please note that things in parenthesis are either side notes from my actual Journal entry OR an observation made as I was going through my Journal for this experience)

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Peace887 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
PurplePanda I've been reading this story today and am already waiting for part 3:)
PurplePanda (18 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
Has no one posted any new stories in a while? Just curious. Miss reading them. Sorry to hijack this post.: (
L_Melb (220 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
Thanks so much - I must admit after I posted the question I thought "perhaps it is none of my business" and my last intention was giving the impression of you needing to "justify" yourself!
How interesting, I had never thought of the examples you give in that way - also I've noticed the KJ Bible I had has gone missing - but I think this has more to do with a pre Vatican II mother than the paranormal.
Thanks again, so refreshing to even be able to ask such questions let alone have a well explained answer - oh, and you're not expected to jump to attention if I ask a question!
Ancora imparo - L
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
L_Melb,

One other thing...

There is no 'maybe' in understanding your background... My Maternal Grandmother was Roman Catholic and My Paternal Grandmother was Baptist and I attended both Churches until I was 11.5/12 years old... At which time I started 'doing my own thing'.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-09)
L_Melb,

I have not been ignoring your comment, just really busy. So now that I have a moment I will give you my honest answer...

At the time of this experience I was a practicing Witch... A Witch who believed in God, His Son and the Holy Ghost. Research showed time and again that God would communicate to those who believed in Him by various means...dreams, visions, Burning Bushes or the Urim and Thummim (Instruments prepared by God to assist man in obtaining revelation and in translating languages. In the Hebrew language the words mean "lights and perfections." The Urim and Thummim consist of two stones set in silver bows and sometimes used with a breastplate. Worn on the breastplate of a Jewish high priest.)

So with research showing that God speaks to individuals in different ways and the fact I never got a 'creepy' feeling when asking for answers or guidance while using them I took it as I sign that the Path I was on allowed for me to use objects like that. I still do. Not as frequently, however it seems my path lies along 'not so common' grounds and I find myself teaching individuals who understand or at least respect my 'Witch' background and will listen to what I have to say... Kind of like St. Patrick and the story of the clover... Patrick was able to use a symbol already recognized as Holy (the three leaf clover) by the people of Ireland and he described how it represented the Holy Trinity (the 3 who are one...Father, Son and Holy Ghost.)

I am going to wrap this up before I sound 'Preachy' and leave it at this, everyone's path is different and as we learn and grow the matter in which the lessons are taught and the way in which we receive them changes however 'Enlightenment, Salvation, Redemption...' call it what you will is the final goal.

I hope that answers your question. Thanks for asking.

Respectfully,

Rook
Mystic25 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-07)
Rook,thank you for sharing part 2, it was very good though a definite cliff hanger. Looking forward to part 3 ๐Ÿ˜Š
L_Melb (220 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-05)
Hello Rook and a big hello to all the YGS community - this is the first time I've made any 'noise' so please, play nice!
(Trying to put my 1st submission together, but, of course never seems good enough) Rook, I've been reading through many of your experiences and I was curious about something.
It may be because I was raised by very Italian-Catholic parents and although I have an aversion to organized religion, my upbringing clouds how I think.
I was wondering how you reconcile using items such as tarot cards with the bible (the whole "no divination" thing)?
Is it because you're using these items with "clean" intentions?
Maybe you can see how the environment I come from makes my brain go "black or white" Forgive me for making you read a book for a simple question - again blame Italian background (have you heard how they can talk?!) and my attempt at showing where I'm coming from i.e. Genuine curiosity/wish to understand.
Thanks for your time, L
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-02-05)
Biblio- First... Um ew. ๐Ÿ˜† and second, it was when Rook had caught his own typo and used the same typo in his "catch" that motivated me to even mention it. I was just funnin' him. ๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-05)
Red,

When I used the word 'SPOILERS' I was basically saying that those particular questions would be answered in the next part I submit.

Apologies; I have had less time than I would like to 'copy' my Journal and finish this, If all goes well I will have the time this weekend (for me that runs from Saturday through Monday) and have it ready to submit on Tuesday (crossed fingers).

Respectfully,

Rook
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
RedWolf:
"Epitome of stupidity" has such a pleasant, euphonic cadence to it that I didn't notice your typo! I don't think Rook is overly concerned, either;)
-Biblio.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Jeesh I was worried that I was going to spell epitome wrong and I go and spell cemetery wrong twice. Sorry about that.
Red
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Rook
I've really enjoy both parts 1&2 of your story and can't wait for the rest of the story. But I have a question for you.
Are these "spoilers" really spoilers or do you not want to spoil your story?
I know that I chewed out an O.P. For beginning training people in ghost hunting in a cemetary awhile back. But it is the epitome of stupidity to bring a O.B. To a cemetary and use it asking that only
"good spirits" come through.

Respectfully

Red
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-02)
Rook:
I'm really enjoying this detailed account; if you'll pardon the analogy, the story has shifted smoothly from Kolchak to Constantine and I'm impatient for your next instalment.

BGP-related side note: I correct typos on YGS if they prevent clear communication or if they change the meaning of a sentence. I'll include typos within a list of offences committed by trolls, but that's when I'm in the queue to board the Miss Demeanor.

A tiny dose of perspective: I once had a college student write an essay on the Jack London story "To Build A Fire." With one typo in an awkwardly-phrased sentence, which was supposed to state the need for a campsite, the essay implied that the man & the dog had a more friendly relationship than permitted by the laws of man and by nature. After that eye-watering, stomach-churning gaffe, "sense" and "since" seems a trivial matter.

Best,
Biblio.
Helena123 (25 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
Like others, I really enjoyed reading your Ouija experiences above Rook, thank you for sharing. I have known people that have stated they have made contact on spirit boards including family members but, I have never experienced it myself despite trying two times in a group experiment when I was younger. Looking back, that was likely a good thing as not so sure if I would have handled it as well as you did when you were around 18! ๐Ÿ˜Š Look forward to reading the next part, take care, Helena
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
ladydrake,

Let me quote you as its a bit easier to answer...

"Either way, it smacks of synchronicity that you interrupted right before that could start. I wonder what would have happened what they would have been told? About the darkest scenario that comes to mind is some forewarning of danger that can be averted by performing certain actions... Something like so and so will kill you in a bar brawl... What are you going to do to prevent him getting the upper hand? If I were a Ouiji mischief-maker, that's how I'd go about making him a killer. Or tell one his girl is cheating, see if you could incite some domestic violence, and so forth. After all, by this time you've proven your info is good. Your thoughts on the timing?"

I must agree with your 'synchronicity' comment... However it wasn't until I was reading over my Journal entries a few years later that I thought that... At the time I was looking for people with common interests (and I'm an 'odd duck') and the actions of these three individuals fell into one of those interests... Well two actually, no make that THREE...History, Cemeteries and of course the Occult. So the fact I 'saw' them and was drawn to investigate was quite 'natural' for me.

As for all the 'background' checking being about themselves... With there being 3 individuals I guess all three wanted to be sure that they were communicating with a real spirit (s). They took the spirits ID at face value because they 'asked' only 'good spirits' contact them and thinking this was enough and thus proceeded to be influenced by those spirits that were contacted... Whom kept A,B and C thinking they were 'good spirits' (I am not saying all three were negative, but... Oh SPOILERS...).

As far as 'where' things were leading... I think less 'death and destruction' and more 'physical possession' was the 'order of the day'...Drat...SPOILERS...anyway I hope I answered some of your questions and that more will be answered once I get Part 3 sent in.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
sds, ladydrake;

Thank you for reading, I can not answer all of your questions due to 'Spoilers' however I was a wee bit older than 18 at this point in time... I celebrated my 21st Birthday on the 28th of July 1988. So when I noted they were 'close' to may age... It was a plus or minus 2-3 thing.

I will say this... The spirit (s) they had contacted could not have known my intentions, as at the time of this first meeting I was unsure of A) what was going on and B) Just what my reaction would be to whatever it was, so at that first meeting in the cemetery the only thing on my mind was curiosity, perhaps the spirits thought they could 'pull' me in and 'use' me as well. It wasn't until I met A,B and C during the day that I 'observed' and 'felt' that 'more' was going on than simple communication. Either way I was going to do my best to teach them the 'proper' way of closing a 'spirit board session'.

I am still typing up Part 3...but life and work are a wee bit hectic. I will 'publish' it asap.

Respectfully,

Rook
ladydarke (113 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
Rook,

Count me as one more person astonished you were only 18 at the time, You're accomplishing so much and, not only that, but you already knew yourself to be on a path of helping others - and you actually did it instead of just aspiring. That is so wow.

One thing that surprised me is that the entity talking on the Ohioans board warned you were coming and knew you weren't a cop or guard. Okay, fine, but if it got a psychic whiff or whatever of you, it seems it should have realized you were actually a threat - not to the humans present as law enforcement would be - but to its own self. So why didn't it tell the guys to book, thus avoiding the potential that you would put a stop to its racket? My question is, had you done something to smokescreen yourself so it couldn't clearly sense/see/whatever you? Do you think those quite interesting guides you had mentioned in the comments of part one had been throwing out chaff, so to speak?

You stress the change in C's body language. Are we to gather you felt this was paranormal/possession rather than just defensiveness and voluntary emotional repression when talking about his breakup? That's sort of how it reads to me with the mechanical give-nothing-away posture and pitch raised with stress and psych symptomatic tightening of the throat coupled with it only occurring while discussing the breakup, but I wasn't there. Must have been pretty disturbing for you to write it down, but could you clarify what made it seem so striking and pronounced that you would rule out defensiveness and such, yet it was also so subtle neither of his friends - both presumed lay intimately familiar with his normal range of voice and posture - reacted or even appeared to notice anything off?

It's odd theyHttp://residenttech.imgur.com/all/ spent three weeks establishing background questions about themselves, but never tried to establish the entity's own background, just going with "highly likely." I guess people are weird and they were having more fun talking about themselves with instantly-verifiable personal questions rather than anything they might have to actually research. Basically pretending to be thorough. Had asking about their futures been the goal all along, do you know, and hence worked up to? Or just the fourth session is when they got bored of the background questions? Either way, it smacks of synchronicity that you interrupted right before that could start. I wonder what would have happened what they would have been told? About the darkest scenario that comes to mind is some forewarning of danger that can be averted by performing certain actions... Something like so and so will kill you in a bar brawl... What are you going to do to prevent him getting the upper hand? If I were a Ouiji mischief-maker, that's how I'd go about making him a killer. Or tell one his girl is cheating, see if you could incite some domestic violence, and so forth. After all, by this time you've proven your info is good. Your thoughts on the timing?

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to finding out what happens next!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-30)
Hello Rook, I missed the Part-I. Usually I read the name of the O/P only after reading the narrative and the comments, if any. Sort of control not to judge the narrative because it is written by so and so. But, when I finished reading the Part-II, I was fondly surprised it was you. As Val said, don't make me buy an international ticket to come and hear the final, rather penultimate part from your directly.

But, as Tweed said, you were so mature for your age even then. I was at that part of time, being of same age group amongst us, called a weird person, talking about paranormal and not so much about movies, girls and what not. But I started learning during those times and learnt the hardway, what to do and what not as far as paranormal is concerned.

Both the parts concluded with an open-end, making the reader yearning for the next one. I am waiting for the third. But still share the same opinion about C, who started using the OB at home and that too all alone.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Rook, look at you all mature for your age. I was an idiot at 18, believed closing boards properly was a bunch of superstitious nonsense. Not only that, but I felt mature in my idiocy, yeup ๐Ÿ˜

This is such an intriguing account, really looking forward to the next part/s. How fortunate you were able to help these guys out like this. ๐Ÿ˜Š
MaybeADreamer (4 stories) (58 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Again, another interesting read from Rook. I have enjoyed reading about this encounter and I look forward to the last part (s). ๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
val,

Ummm... Spoiler's?

There is more... So a part 3 is being typed up, I am trying to keep it at only 3 parts but at the same time I do not want to leave things out so it may extend to a 4th part... At this time I am leaning towards a longish part 3 to 'wrap' this up.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Rook,
I 'sense' there will be a part 3 'since' the ending seemed so open, and there better be! Or... Or I'll have to come down there and make you tell me! Lol
Seriously, I am quite enjoying this particular event of yours. Interestingly enough at the start C said that they were in the cemetery because he wasn't allowed to use the board at home, but then it did come out that he was using it, not only at home but alone too! Talk about just asking for trouble... Do you think that after the cemetery use he became so drawn (perhaps addicted is the word I want?) that he began using it at home too? I know for some this sort of 'addiction' doesn't take long to take root.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
To whom it may concern;

Yes my spelling is 'not so good' sometimes. Apologies in advance. The funny thing is, I spelled sense correctly, but it was not the correct word to use... Apology still stands.

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
When I was editing Rook's story, I decided to leave it alone, just the way it was, because it was from his journal. I originally had changed sense to since, but changed it back.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Wow, Great catch...Sense: touch, smell, taste ect. Since: in reference to 'time'.

Actually, I was Riff Raff because of the way I dressed to go shoot pool I reminded someone of 'Riff Raff Sam' from the animated Underdog cartoon... Rocky Horror came later (however I did hold that role in a 'cast' for a period of time ๐Ÿ˜‰).

Respectfully,

Rook
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Riff Raff! My mother would always tell us not to let the riff raff in. I had no idea what she was talking about. We were so poor I thought we were the riff raff! ๐Ÿ˜†
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
I caught the same typo but of a different sense. The above statement should read "since" the end of June.

I've probably lost all my senses on this sense and since stuff since I can't tell you why it should be since, but I'm sure Biblio will get it all sorted out. ๐Ÿ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
BGP,

Thank you. Funny thing is I did, and still do, go by my 'nick name' Riff Raff (Yes of Rocky Horror Fame). Rook Dygin was a AD&D Character of mine whose name worked well with YGS content and my background when I joined.

One...maybe two more parts to go (I am trying to condense the Journal entries). This was a very interesting time period and as much as I helped these 3 individuals I also learned a great deal.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
"I asked how long they had been doing this and was told sense the end of June."

I caught a typo, I caught a typo... The above statement should read 'sense the middle to end of June." When I met them it was their 4th week in the cemetery. Which has them starting towards the middle of June rather than at the end of the month.

Respectfully,

Rook
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-27)
Rook- I've enjoyed reading every one of your accounts and enjoyed them all. I have a feeling this series will be one of my favorites. I let out a little sigh of relief when you offered to help them and they accepted. Rook to the rescue! ๐Ÿ˜†

Can't wait to see what happens next!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: