You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lamppost Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Lamppost Man

 

Around a week ago I was walking my dog in the evening and the streets were silent, no people nor cars in sight. No noise other than our footsteps. The moon was hidden and the street lights were the only thing illuminating the street.

My dog stopped to do his business so I picked it up after he had done and when we continued walking. But I detected a figure on the other side of the road, under the orange light of a lamp stood a man. He was not there before I pick up my dog's business or when I came down the street. His face was concealed and his body was faded. He wore a black suit and a hat of some sort which is what covered his face. My dog is a brave dog (being a German Shepard) but even he whimpered. I bent down to comfort him, looked up and the man had gone. My dog instantly stopped whimpering and went back to normal after the suited figure had completely disappeared with no sound and he left no trace.

When we got back home, an hour later the lights dimmed (I don't have dimming lights) and my dog whimpered again. The room was cold for half a minute or so and then everything went back to normal. The coldness went and the lights brightened again. I have not had any other experiences or contact with this man since this experience (and hopefully I wont) but it just freaked me out so I decided to share my experience with other people.

I would like to hear what you guys have to say about my weird experience and possibly some explanations for my strange experience with the super-natural.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Monster26, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-06)
Hi Monster,

I read your experience about a week ago but haven't had much time lately to comment. So here's some belated thoughts on your encounter.

From your description of everything it seems to me the clue is in the title 'Lamppost'. The common denominators are light source and yourself. I agree with Val, it's likely this entity followed you home. Why is anyones guess, I like Val's take on the dog whimper as not bark worthy, so no real big threat, which is good news.
The light dimming and the lamppost on the street suggest energy sources to me. There's often talk on here about the energy used by ghosts manifesting or interacting with the physical realm. Lights dimming and temperature drops are pretty constant. I wonder if this figure was soaking up some energy under that lamppost when you clocked him. Perhaps he was curious after who you were and wanted to know more. If you felt drained after your encounter I'd warn that's not a good sign. But freaked out is completely understandable, pretty sure anyone would be.😉

PS hehe Rook, I remember that ribbon story. Now I too am reminded of ribbons when stoic figures show up lol.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
In the Ufology community your account is quite common, the most famous account on record is that from Dan aykroyd. Same sort of thing happened to him. People might make fun of these accounts and I'm not saying anyone here is, because basically, they are referred to as the men in black, I personally have listen to enough accounts to take them serious, Dan aykroyd was not joking about what happened to him.

Regards Daz
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Rook and Helena, thanks for clearing that up. I can see the joke now!
Rook, this particular thread/story we are currently on isn't mine, but I thought your reassurance was nice in any case.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
DandK,

Helena's right. I was making a reference to another submission... A story that MANY members here considered to be a work of fiction.

I am NOT saying that about your experience (please note the difference in words to describe each submission).

Again, I wish there were more details you could provide so we may provide some sort of insight, please keep us posted if it happens again OR if anything else 'odd' seems to take place.

Respectfully,

Rook
Helena123 (25 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Hey Dandk, I think Rook meant the one on the link below - enjoy (some of the comments had me in stitches) 😆 x http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22872
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Rook, can you explain what you mean about the ribbon? Sounds like a joke, but I'm missing it as I don't know anything about ribbons on lampposts or doorknobs. And I feel that I must find out... 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Without more details it is very difficult to say what you may have experienced or saw. Thank you for sharing.

(On a side note) I am just really thankful that you did not find a ribbon tied on the lamppost OR on your doorknob. (Sorry folks... Had to go there... 😉)

Respectfully,

Rook
Helena123 (25 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hey!

Agree with the above comments and just want to add quickly - if it was paranormal, you may have seen the Hatman as he is often described by witnesses as wearing a suit with a hat as you described above. If you go on Facebook and put that key word in, you will find groups that speak of seeing the Hatman which you might like to read through for advice and further guidance 😊 Take care, Helena
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Well, now... There's several ways one can look at this, as SDS pointed out we can't be 100% sure it was paranormal. However, can we ever be 100% sure with someone else's experience? I don't think so, so I'm trying to put myself in your place. First off, with your description of a moonless, silent street I imagine you found that rather eerie. I know when I walk to work in the predawn hours the absence of sound, of other beings, and of light seems to exaggerate the shadows formed by street lights, and any movement other than my own. Is there any possibility that this man had stepped from the darker shadows into the street light, and then back again while you were comforting your dog? But then we have the dog's whimper. From the way you stated that, I take it he isn't one to do that to alert you to strangers or when seeing say a squirrel or something? I know dogs who when on a leash do so.
The lights dimming when you got home could have been a power surge or some other mundane thing.
I mentioned that there were several ways of looking at this. If we were to accept the aforementioned man as a ghost, he might have followed you home out of curiosity. Your dog's whimper may not have been one of fear, but more like just wanting to let him know that puppy was well aware that he was there, but not bark worthy. Does that make sense?
x77 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Nice story, It is glad that there was no hurt in your experience.
😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Hello Monster26, it is quite difficult to comment whether it was a paranormal sighting or not. It might look paranormal because the dog whimpered but we cannot be quite sure about it. Still it could be a random paranormal sighting. I don't think the whimpering of the dog when you reached home was anything to do with the sighting.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: