You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Night Of The Shadow Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Night Of The Shadow Man

 

It was late one night when I retired to the couch for the night. I went to sleep and had the window blind open so I could use the fan on my window air unit. The street light lit the room with a soft orange light. I always keep my pistol close by when I am sleeping and this night was no exception. I had my S&W 40 with l.e.d. Light on it on the table by the couch.

Around 3am I woke from a tossing restless type of sleep and lit a cigarette. After I finished my smoke, I laid on my side facing the back of the couch. I started being overwhelmed with a feeling that somebody else was in the room with me. I rolled over on my back and all of the sudden I looked towards the window and the strangest thing happened.

I became paralyzed and the window became distorted and then as I looked away from the window towards the door I see a dark shadow figure squatting at the end of the couch towards my feet. I went to reach for my pistol but I couldn't move. The shadow then stood up and in a crouching position began to walk towards me. It walked between the couch and table and when it got to my head it turned and bent over putting its face 2 inches from mine. I felt like it was draining the life from my body.

After a few seconds which felt like forever, it vanished into thin air and I could immediately move. I grabbed my pistol and turned the light on and scanned the room, even though I could see with the light from the street light. There was nothing. I was very sick for the next three days.

My sister was married the next day and the Pastor of her church could tell something was troubling me and when he asked me what was the matter, I explained it to him and he prayed over me and put some sort of oil on my head. Since that day, I have not been the same. It is something that I hope I never encounter again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RandyKnapp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RandyKnapp (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
First of all I would like to think everyone for the comments. I am going to try to answer some of your questions. This sort of thing has happened to me before. Not exactly the same but I have had encounters with something that was not living as I am. I say paranormal because I am sure I was awake I was fully aware of everything. I saw this figure and I could see that it had the shape of a small statured human. It was in a house I was renting. I keep a gun near by because I was born and raised here in West Virginia and guns are something I grew up hunting, sport shooting and exercising my 2nd Amendment right to own and bare arms. I am a concealed carry permit holder. There are home invasions all the time and I choose not to let my family nor me be a victim. The pastor did say a prayer and he told me that the bottle of oil was blessed by 1,000 prayers and that was about as much as I can say about the oil. I'm sorry for the way I worded some things. This thing was trying to get inside of me is how I meant to describe it. It drained my energy making me feel weak and sick for a few days. I'm not an expert on this but for some reason I have had other things happen to me throughout my life. I'm happy to answer your questions about this and maybe gain some knowledge of it.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
Daz, thank you for the great discussion. I will be checking out the Orch Orr.

Randy, I apologize for the tangent also.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
[at] Dandk, I share with you your intuition on quantum mechanics relating to the supernatural. One only needs to take a look at the double slit experiment and then ask, what the heck does an observer have to do, with the collapsing of the wave field to come up with the assumptions like you and I have. Intangible particles is another that leaves you scratching your head like Erwin Schrodinger must had, before he theorized his hypothesis on Schrodingers cat... Which is basically the same as what you'd described with the coin analogy. Even Einstein, who was thought to be a hard core materialist confessed near the end of his life, that anyone who study's science becomes convinced there is a spirit in the laws of the universe.

In regards to the coin analogy and the collapsing of the wavefunction, what Stuart Hameroff and sir Roger Penrose hypothesised in their book "the Orch Orr"... We have conscious moments, about 40 per second according to the theory... In between each of these moments, is the collapsing of the wave field... With in this collapsing of each moment a product of the brain referred to as microtubules are in a sort of spasm with the quantum depositions of neurons thus nature, presenting us our reality in the macroscopic fragmentation of which we all exist... As a side note, People who have had near death experiences or a car accident, fits etc, often report the slowing down or the freezing of time and I have actually experienced this first hand and I know one of the mods son here at YGS did also. The adrenaline rush, somehow interferes with the microtubulues and the quantum deposition of consciousness causing those 40 spasmodic moments per second of consciousness to slow down or even freeze in some accounts. When playing basketball, Michael Jordon claimed that sometimes things went into slow motion, which makes sense for a freak like him right?

I have personally experienced accounts of seeing the future many times... Some accounts trivial and sometimes life saving. My own 2 cent theory of what's going on? When we dream, meditate or have a vision the mind collapses into the microscopic world of probables where time is irrelevant, past, present and future are all concurrent. My higher self was able to view a probabilistic future, which on one account was my death involving a car accident... Fortunately for me, I was able to prevent the accident by avoiding the road all together, but not for someone else who sadly died in my place,...anyhow, Consciousness is at the base of the universe, there are many universes and realities simultaneous in motion, as Albert Einstein put it, we are just like little children lost in a library of books stacked to the roof in different langues representing our universe. We don't know all the information in those book, but we are smart enough to work out someone or something has stacked them there... String theory, the Orch orr, biocentrism are in my view, some of those books stacked in the library of universal knowledge.

Regards and my apology to the author for hijacking your thread off topic,
Daz.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
Daz,
Wow, thanks for your in-depth description! While I've heard the phrase 'string theory' before, I didn't know anything about it. I did have to take a course once that went through some quantum mechanics fundamentals, and I remember thinking it described all of the supernatural events I could think of at the time.

You probably know all of this, but just so I can try to explain my thoughts on why I think QM explains things like premonition, etc. I'll likely go into more detail than necessary. Sorry in advance!

First, in the theory, everything can be described by a wavefunction - which is a mathematical function that can have infinite terms (Hilbert space) which are referred to as states where each state is ideally orthogonal to every other state. In this ideal scenario, each state has a certain probability of being occupied. An example would be a coin with states defined as heads or tails, and the probability of being in each state being 0.5 or 50%.

As a system gets more complicated, the number of states increases, and this ideality of the state's not 'mixing' (because of orthogonality) goes away. States start to mix. An example of this (while an impractical example) is the coin again. If the state 'head' mixed with 'tails' then the outcome of a coin toss is no longer 50% heads or tails. Instead when states mix, this new mixed state can coexist with other states and the outcome can be anything, but is guessed at based on what state ends up having the highest probability of occurrence. That doesn't exclude the very low probability states from occurring.

Applying that to people with our vast complexities and our spatial and temporal dimensions, we have very complicated (understatement) wavefunctions that can describe our state at any given time. Plus all of our wavefunctions interact with everyone and everything else, making this an impossibility to predict our states exactly. And, whenever our wavefunctions interact with someone else's, new mixed states can be generated and probability amplitudes change. This means that there is a very small probability that you could read someone's mind or sense a future event, or sense a ghost, or... There is a sound mathematical and theoretical basis for all of these paranormal events.

And while talking about paranormal, I have to say something about that word. Normal would be something that falls under the category of having a high probability associated with the state. In other words, not a very low probability, which would be 'paranormal'.

OK- I got that off my mind and feel much better. Bottom line is that all of these things seem not only possible to me, but explainable by our current theories of physics.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
That makes some sense DandK, to address your question: can we go into the future, my answer to that is yes. Premonitions and precognitions are basically scientific fact and proof that we can... People do see or feel the future before it happens with 100 percent accuracy most of the time, so what's going on with that?... Time is an illusion, our existence is basically structured on movement and space, as Einstein's theory of relativity explains, exceed the speed of light and time will slow down or speed up depending on certain equations... So those of us in the now (present) can align ourselves with events, people and probabilistic future events in accordance with our timeline... Someone on a different timeline may not be able to hone their full physical form of energy into our field, perhaps they are looking in and all we can see is there shadow due to the nature and distance and motion of there timeline? Like we can look into a 2 dimensional television receiving it's own frequency form of energy and see a performance. Perhaps those in the 4th dimension are doing the same and we here in the 3rd dimension are a little clueless to the a one way mirror causality due to the nature of dimensional shifting of energy? The multi verse theory, or better known as string theory, suggest there a billions of universes on different timelines all existing on a wave current of energy, scientifically known as the higgs field... Many questions, some facts and well grounded theories to draw conclusions from... However what makes sense to me may seem silly to others, but at least we are sharing thoughts, a great place to start... Cheers for your thoughts!

Regards Daz
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
I've got comments to both Randy and Daz.

First to Daz. Regarding the theory that shadow man can't appear to us in detail if they haven't lived in our physical space, I have some thoughts. I would like to compare our three dimensional spacial existence and our dimension of time to that of a proposed shadow man. You know how in our dimension of time we can only move forward? But we can see past events in our own mind? We can't go to the past, but we can go to the future. Now, picture our physical dimension. We can move in any direction available to us. However, imagine if we couldn't move in one of our physical directions but we could 'see' it, kind of like how we can see a past time. Maybe shadow people exist in that type of environment. Perhaps many dead people live in that environment. They can't reach back into our physical space anymore, but they can see it. Thus they appear, but without our dimensional appearance. I hope I explained what I mean clearly, without sounding totally off the wall.

Randy, was this your house or were you staying with a relative prior to your sister's wedding?

Also, did you feel energetically or emotionally drained when this man stopped?

Thanks and I hope you are feeling better and more like yourself.

DandK
Antu (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-10)
RandyKnapp,

I am curious, the figure you saw, how tall would you estimate it to be? I ask as I have had experiences with the 'Hat Man' mentioned by Helena, but in many of my experiences, when he's about, so too are his minions, these wee little shadowers which range from 2-4 feet in height and can move extremely fast when they choose to. I did not always see the little guys with the big fellow with the hat, nor did I only see the little guys only when the big fellow was about, and actually, the bit about the crouching and such, that Mac questioned, brought me instantly back to many previous encounters of the little guys.

Also, SDS mentioned there was likely no significance to the 0300 hours; however for me 0300 is almost always the precise moment when some sort of strangeness shakes me from sleep, and I mean 0300, not 0259 or 0301, which has often baffled me as to what the significance may be, so your reference coupled with SDS's comment just add to my curiosity!

I would be curious too, to know what you meant by you have never been the same, is that because you have had to confront the paranormal? Or do you believe there was some sort of physical consequence to your encounter?

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Cheers~~Antu
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-08)
I've read all sorts of stories dealing with the paranormal during my life and experienced several things to. Shadow people really interest me though. I don't know why. There's a certain truth and sense it makes to me like its right there in the back of my mind but I can't remember why. I have a friend who I believe totally. She isn't the type to lie just to be lying. She has told me about seeing one when she was growing up. If I had to bet I'd say they are shifting into our reality from another one. Is it from another time so distant in the past or the future that it's as if to us they never have or never will exist or the same for them? Is it from another dimension where they can detect our existence and know how to visit us and study us? Did they accidently stumble upon our existence doing scientific tests and studies in their own reality? I don't know and the guessing as to their origins is intriguing. I'll continue to read about them anytime I can.
Helena123 (25 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
Hey Daz, I've just seen your post below and found the ideas/theories in it fascinating. Especially for me, the bit about those that "have not lived in a physical domain can not appear to us with any physical detail" - you've made me think now 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-01)
I once saw a tall shadow man in my room, no sleep paralysis or fear, just curiosity I guess... There is a theory going around that those who have not lived in a physical domain can not appear to us with any physical detail, facial features etc, except by the shadow of there being. That I guess makes some sense?. There are also studies or in part that suggest there is a six second delay before our brain reacts to the thoughts of our higher self... The sleep paralysis part may have no relation to the doing of the shadow man, It may have more to do with sensing a presence and just coincided with the vision of the Shadow man?. The two accounts may not be related. The shadow man may exist somewhere alive and well?

Regards Daz
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Mack: No, you didn't miss anything. 😊 The Hat Man is a common shadow person. So is Hoodie Guy. I should've explained that just because we perceive a ghost/spirit as a shadow, it doesn't necessarily mean they are a "shadow person".

The shadow in this experience, I think, could very well be classified as such. They do give a sense of dread or fear and in some accounts approach the person. Some, I say, because most do not. A good number of experiences include an episode of paralysis and many can be attributed to hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucinations during sleep paralysis. This is just what I've found in my own experiences, research, and from reading as many accounts of shadow people as I can.

Again, a long winded way of saying "nope" LOL
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Hi zzsgranny - thanks for the self-defence info / clarification. However, I'm confused re this "Hatman"? Am I missing a reference somewhere about a hatted figure?
Regards
Mack
Helena123 (25 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Just to add, it's funny you know zzsgranny and RandyKnapp - I have never seen the Hatman but I have also *never* heard a happy/joyful account about him either (some people have told me he exudes dread/fear). Does not sound very pleasant at all 😕
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
RandyKnapp: I, too, have had experiences with a Hat Man. I don't like him at all, but mine never approached or moved for that matter. Some would say that this is an episode of sleep paralysis, but I'm inclined to think not. Like Mack, I'm curious if there has been any other activity that you've noticed.

Mack and SDS: Although it seems strange to those not from the States, sleeping with a gun nearby isn't uncommon at all here. This poster is from West Virginia where hunting is quite common and depending on where you live, sometimes in rural areas animals, etc., have a way of making their way into your home. And I guess even in highly populated towns and cities one could call the gist of the neighborhood "animals" 😆.

*That was just a long way of saying "for protection" lol*
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hi SDS. I was going to write "paranormal activity" in that sentence but due to the horror movies of that name, I didn't write it as I believe those kinds of films do nothing for genuine paranormal investigations and forums, and in fact create misinformation, unnecessary fear mongering and ignorance amongst the general populace.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-29)
Hello RandyKnapp, welcome to YGS. I am also curious like Mack as to why you have a gun nearby while you are sleeping? Are you threatened by someone? If it is too personal, please don't answer. I am just curious to know.

I feel that it might be sleep paralysis. You had a disturbed sleep and you just woke up and smoked. Then definitely because of the disturbed sleep, you might have fallen half asleep and you might have had the sleep paralysis. That you wanted to reach for the gun, that something was trying to come upto your face, have all added up only to that.

By the way, I don't think 3 a.m., has got anything to do with this experience or for that matter with any paranormal encounters. (Mack, just want to ask you, why do you loathe to use the word "paranormal", again just out of curiosity I am asking you). RandyKnapp, I feel what you experienced was not paranormal but sleep paralysis.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Hi RandyKnapp - welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your experience. Are you able to clarify some things to help put your experience into a context?

Has this kind of experience ever happened to you before?

Is there ever been any kind of spirit (I am loathe to use the word 'paranormal' anymore as I feel it's been hi-jacked and cheapened) activity in this house you are living in / staying at?

There's one part that doesn't compute but it could be a typo, where you say; "... I see a dark shadow figure squatting at the end of the couch towards my feet. I went to reach for my pistol but I couldn't move. The shadow then stood up and in a crouching position began to walk towards me. It walked between the couch and table and when it got to my head it turned and bent over..."

The figure was squatting but then stood up, but was still in a crouching position as it walked to you, but then bent over as well? I just had trouble visualizing that 😕

I too had an experience (posted on this site) where I was paralyzed and (mine was an unseen) entity put massive pressure on my chest, but I felt it was trying to get "inside" me, rather than "drain" the life from me. That reminds me of those things in the Harry Potter movies😊

It was great that you had such a perceptive man in your Pastor and he was able to give you some assistance. Do you recall what the "oil" was and did he do a blessing etc?

One other aspect of your experience that I found interesting, and I guess a bit disturbing, is your comment that you always keep a pistol close by when sleeping😲. I'm from New Zealand and we have very strict gun controls here. If you don't mind me asking, I'm just curious as to the reason that you have a gun nearby when sleeping?

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: