You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Haunted Terrace House

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Terrace House

 

This is my second submission on this site. I mentioned in my first one that I had a few unexplained things happen while I was growing up, I will first explain the house and its layout, as the main incident of this submission will be better understood that way.

I grew up in the inner west of Sydney. Our house, that my dad still to this day lives in, is a very old brick Victorian terrace two story home. At the back of his house is the main city stormwater drain and the house is in a row of 10 houses. They were all originally built as workers' cottages for the men who built the drain system.

The house is a two story small house with the two bedrooms upstairs, and downstairs is one main living room that the front door is in with an open doorway to the kitchen, then a hallway that has the bathroom and a small laundry off it, from the front room you can basically see in a straight line to the back door it is parallel with the front door.

Now to the main incident. One night I was visiting dad with my brother. I was around 19 or so at the time, this would have been around 1993 or 1994. We all had a great boys' day out fishing, etc and after a good meal all went home to dad's and went to bed. Dad and my brother daniel were both upstairs while I slept downstairs on the pull-out sofa bed.

For some reason, in the middle of the night I woke up and had a feeling to look down the hallway. As I looked, I saw a pure black man standing there. He was looking straight ahead at the pantry that was against the wall he was standing next to, then slowly turned his head to look at me. Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew absolutely that he had a maniacal smile on his face. At the same time he opened up the knife drawer and started to pull out a carving knife.

It was at this point that I jumped up and screamed out. Both my dad and brother raced up out of bed and down the stairs. As they were coming down the figure just vanished. I told them what I had just seen and my dad said, "C'mon mate it was just a bad dream."

I thought about it for a second and started to think he may be right when my brother called us into the kitchen to show us that the knife drawer was open. None of us would ever leave the drawer open because not only do you have to walk down past it to get to the only bathroom, and there would be a good chance you would hit it with a hip or tummy, but as I said earlier we ate out that night and none of us had anything to eat at home. We were all buggered by the time we got home and all basically went straight to bed.

This incident has stuck in my head in detail for over 20 years now. There were other things that happened in the house but a lot were around my brother when we were kids. This one was certainly the one that stuck with me.

Sorry for it being such a long story but I wanted to try to explain the detail so everyone can picture it.

Other hauntings by Matty-matt

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Matty-matt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hante (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-11)
I can relate. My childhood home was haunted with all kinds of activity. Your experience reminds me of the experience I had where a knife went flying across the kitchen. It didn't fly toward me, just across a few feet in front of me.

Another experience I had was when I woke up around three in the morning, there was a man stabbing a woman with a big butcher knife in my bedroom. I could see her blood splattering everywhere. I was probably seven or eight years old at the time. After the man was done stabbing the woman, he looked at me with an evil, maniacal smile then he vanished. The woman remained appearing for a few seconds more as I could see her lying in a pool of her blood before she vanished. They were wearing clothes from the 1800's to early 1900's. Another weird thing about that experience is that in the morning when the sun came up I noticed these dripping streaks on the wall. The walls in my bedroom were light blue, where the streaks dripped down it washed out the color of the light blue paint to white. My mom repainted my room. The man and woman made several other appearances in my bedroom, and it was same thing with the streaks on the wall. My mom was getting really upset toward me because she thought I was doing whatever it was that was going on to the walls in my room.

I begged my mom many times for us to move and get the hell out of that house. She didn't want to move nor leave the house. So, therefore, I had to suffer and continuously be traumatized in that house. There was a lot that went on in that house, and I still have nightmares about that house to this day.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
Greetings, Matt.

The point which struck me as peculiar in your narrative was not your father's immediate dismissal of your experience -a natural enough reaction from someone who has been awakened unexpectedly- but your brother's investigation of your claims. Did this entity you describe bear any relation to his experiences? If you knew of your brother's experiences, and he was willing to explore the possibility that you'd had a supernatural experience similar to his own, why was your father so adamantly opposed to acknowledging paranormal phenomena? Has your father ever experienced manifestations or events in his home? Have you stayed over since that night? I wouldn't want to visit in broad daylight after an experience like yours!

Have any of your father's neighbors had similar haunting phenomena in their homes, or is this haunting restricted to his kitchen?

The more I think about a malevolent spirit armed with sharpened cutlery, the more disturbing this story feels.

Take care,
Biblio.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
As a fellow Aussie I read this without batting an eyelid knowing exactly what you were saying 😆 😆 [laugh. Seeing that knife drawer open would have made me almost soil my undies I reckon! What a scary thing to see. I would love to hear more of your experiences in that house.

Thanks for sharing
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
HAHAHA! Oh, man lol.

Matty, as someone who grew up in Australia, I can't tell you how amusing it was to read one of the Ausiest uses of Bugger I've heard in a heck of a long time. Thanks lol.

Thanks also for sharing this, which is the direct opposite of funny in every way possible. Honestly, some ghosts are just jerks. I tried to think of a misunderstanding for what that figure was doing. But like you, I can't. Just a jerk.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
Hi Matt. Thanks for sharing this very unsettling experience.

Can I just say, to clarify to our Northern Hemisphere readers, that when Matt says "...We were all buggered by the time we got home and all basically went straight to bed...", Matt is actually referring to being extremely TIRED.

I understand that word has different meanings around the world but as a Kiwi, I know EXACTLY what Matt is referring to.

The implication was that there may have been a bit more to Matts "boys' day out fishing" which could well have been FAR more unpleasant and horrifying than Matt later having to face a menacing figure in the kitchen brandishing a knife.

Matt, I apologize if I've hi-jacked your experience some-what but I felt that was an important point that needed clarifying😊.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: