You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Full Body Apparition

Real Ghost Stories

Full Body Apparition

 

This is a story from my childhood that takes place when I was no older than 5. I know this because at this time one of my sisters and I were still sharing bedrooms. This room was the biggest one in the house. Earlier the house was separated to two apartments, one on each floor, and this room formerly served as the top floor living room. To better separate my side of the room from my sister's side of the room, our mum had placed bookshelves across the room, dividing it in two. My side was on the same side as the door, but to get to my sister's side you would have to go around the shelves.

One very bright and sunny summer day my sister and I were cleaning. I wasn't yet old enough to be able to vacuum, so this was my sister's job. While she was still on her side of the room, I was sitting on the floor of my side, picking up books from the floor and placing them back on their spots of the shelves. The door was directly in front of me and suddenly I spot something in the doorway.

It was a lady in white. I will do my best to try to describe her. Her hair was flowing in all directions as if she was under water, and even though her face and head were very clear and solid looking, the rest of her was almost like a mist. Everything was moving softly, as if she was wearing very loose dress and veils.

In my childish mind the only thing I could think was 'A ghost!' I got stiff with fear and ran up and hid behind the shelves in terror! I wanted to warn my sister, but I was too scared that the ghost would notice me if I made any noise and the sound from the vacuum made it impossible for me to be heard, whispering.

My sister was just reaching my side of the room. As she moved over I could see her cleaning the first feet of my side, before she also looked up and spotted the figure in the doorway. She froze for a split second before she jumped back and hid with me, leaving the vacuum running on the floor. The time seemed to stay still and it was almost as in slow motion that she moved past and disappeared from our line of sight.

As this happened we were really scared, but after the experience we didn't feel like there was any danger to the meeting and even hoped to sometime she her again. We built "ghost traps" or crawled inside white bedsheets pretending to see her in heaven.

We naturally told our mother about this, but she laughed it off and dismissed it as our overactive imaginations. Years later I told her this story again, and this time she admitted that she regularly feels a presence in this area of the house. She is not scared though, as she believes it to be her late grandmother that previously inhibited the top floor of the house.

Thank you for reading and please let me know if anything was unclear.

Other hauntings by cloudy

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cloudy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-06)
A creapy but nice experience. Here there are many submissions of the sort where people had paranormal experiences in the childhood and parents don't believe it then and later after years they are again told regarding this, they shockingly reveal that something in the house even scared them.

All this because they think that they should not multiply our terror. It is their silent care for us. Even my mother doesn't believe my paranormal experiences but I hope that she will in the future. 😊
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-29)
Hi, thank you all for your replies and sorry for my late answer.

I will try to answer all the questions and let me know if anything else needs clarification! I never saw a photo of my great grandmother, as far as I know. So I cannot say for sure if it was her or not. I don't even know how she died, but she got really old and suffered from dementia. I have found hidden keys under the floorboards and things like this and in the end she didn't recognise her own family. My mom told me that at one point she was terrified when my mom came over, thinking it was an intruder.

The ghost we saw was young, maybe it wasn't her or that might have been how she choose to show herself. I find it strange that she never looked at us if she wanted to make herself known. When she passed by it was as if she didn't even see us. We probably would have been 10 times more scared if she did though.

Mack, the ghost traps could be something like a tread of yarn that we tied across the entire upper floor and added bells to, so if something moved anywhere we would see and hear it. Nothing ever happened but it was a fun game and sometimes we sneakily pulled it to scare each other. Haha

I also have had other things happening to me in this house so there is a possibility it was not connected to her at all. But I never saw anything as clear as this before or after.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-27)
Greetings, Cloudy.

I have enjoyed your other narratives on YGS, but this is the first time I wanted some clarification. Like Mack, I was drawn in by your descriptive sentence, "Her hair was flowing in all directions as if she was under water, and even though her face and head were very clear and solid looking, the rest of her was almost like a mist..." I'm very curious about the movement of her hair in your memory. Do you know how your Great-Grandmother died? (Obviously, we all wish to have that moment be as peaceful as possible for our loved ones, but does your mother have any further information about her Grandmother?)

The phenomenon of spirits returning to their homes after death is not rare, but it usually indicates that the spirit has not realized it no longer has a living body. This is more common with "residual" hauntings, but it can occur with sentient hauntings, too. Occasionally, such a haunting will recognize that family members are to be protected simply because they are family, or it may become troubled by the presence of "strangers" in what would otherwise be its home. In this regard, your Grandmother seems to have fallen into the fortunate minority of "positive" sentient hauntings, as she deliberately took no further steps to alarm you.

I'm still curious about her hair flowing in all directions...

Best,
Biblio.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
Hi Cloudy - welcome to YGS.

I enjoyed reading your experience. Particularly your description of the apparition: "...Her hair was flowing in all directions as if she was under water, and even though her face and head were very clear and solid looking, the rest of her was almost like a mist..."

Firstly I thought that was a really vivid, striking image, kind of cool, and secondly I find that very interesting how spirits decide to portray themselves (I assume they have some control over it).

I wonder if she was attempting to look dramatic, or make a grand appearance as it were, or if she was attempting to frighten you and your sister (she could have at least waited until the vacuuming was done!)

The other possibility is that this was a residual haunting, BUT... Your Mother admitted feeling a presence, so bit of a mystery. They could be unrelated?

I think Lady-Glow's question about the possibility of you seeing a photo of the Grandmother is a great point and could clarify who she was.

And finally, I thought the part where you wrote: "...We built "ghost traps" or crawled inside white bedsheets pretending to see her in heaven..." was really sweet. Are you able to elaborate on what the "ghost traps: were?

Regards

Mack
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-25)
Hello, Cloudy... This is a scary experience for a child but as you said you both didn't felt any danger so it must be your great- great grandma as your mother said!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-24)
Cloudy: welcome to YGS.

I can only imagine how scary must have been for you and your sister to see this apparition.

From your narrative, I understand your mother still lives in that house and admits to feel the presence of, who she thinks is, her Grandmother. -Have you ever seen any pictures of your grat- grandma? Does she resemble the lady you saw?
Perhaps she is only checking on her family and her house.

What kind of help are you looking for? Do not take me wrong, but I think you're lucky to get a chance to see an evidence that there is more than the physical world as we know it.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: