You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Psych Ward Kitchen

Real Ghost Stories

Psych Ward Kitchen

 

It was LA California 1987. I was going to school in what was a former psychiatric ward (no joke) for the old hospital that was no longer in operation. The building had been being used as a makeshift school.

Myself and a good friend of mine at the time had a history of showing up late to school. This day was no exception. We were both assigned to clean up the kitchen and kitchen closet. The kitchen closet stored books for the school. The kitchen was in the middle of the one story building. There was one door in, no windows. It was really just a small room with a closet in it and cabinets.

Federico and I started by getting a radio and playing a tape we liked. We began by straightening and sorting the books in the closet.

I was sitting on a chair inside the small closet sorting books while Fed was above me doing the same. Not more than 15 minutes after we started the cassette player stops. We jump out of the closet and start explaining to each other that it's a mechanical device and it happens. We half laughed it off and go back to work.

Fifteen minutes later a fork that was on the counter flies up, hits an upper cabinet and ends up on the floor. We could have won the 50 meter sprint for the Olympics that day.

We refused to go back in the room. A supervisor asked us what was going on. We explained and continued to try to justify it but it was impossible because the closet is right next to the kitchen door and opens inward. We'd see anyone trying to enter the kitchen.

To this day I can't believe we went back in the kitchen but we mustered some courage and went back in. We got pretty comfortable. Nothing happened for 30 minutes when a book dropped right next to me. Fed dropped and ran like the wind. I had no reason to question his motive. We ran out of that kitchen and never returned.

I asked Fed what happened because all I saw was the book drop next to me. He said a book slid off the shelf right in front of him and sat there in mid air for a second before dropping. I still get chills when telling this story.

A few years later I ran into Fed. I had always wondered if he was playing a trick on me. However, I had a feeling Fed hadn't done anything just by the pure look of terror in his eyes that day. But you tend to doubt sometimes. He confirmed it was real and he played no jokes that morning.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Autocross, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Autocross... This is really scary... I think there must be some spirit attached to the place... Thanks for sharing
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Wow!
I've seen on countless shows, read many books etc about these types of places. They usually have a lot of built up energy, residual and the like. Because of the history and how patients were treated, its not uncommon for that type of activity.
I agree with the other comments, it seems the spirit was trying to get your attention, and it was doing a great job lol, but you both kept running. Not that I blame you, I would have probably done the same.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Mystic25 (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Definitely interesting, this may be an odd question but did you notice what kind of book it was that fell? Maybe it meant something to the spirit or maybe it just wanted your attention. I'm just curious. 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
Creeeepppy! But I like these types of stories. Sounds like the old kitchen staff was not happy with your choice of music 😉 Back then I would have freaked out too, but now the investigator in me would have brought a recorder with me just in case. Thanks for sharing this with us. 😁
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
That is an awesome story:) Having worked in a spooky psychiatric hospital, I was snagged by the title, and you didn't disappoint. There must have been some left over energy or some patients/doctors still around. Thanks for sharing!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
Welcome to YGS.

That's creepy! I suppose one or more of the previous residents of the psychiatric ward hadn't really left the place and was trying to get your attention.

Do you know if anyone else had a similar experience in the old kitchen?

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: