You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Phantoms At Five

Real Ghost Stories

Phantoms At Five

 

I wake up at 5:30 for my day, and the rest of my family wakes up at 6. I'm alone except for my cat. I usually walk downstairs and pour some cereal for my breakfast. I'll sit there and check my phone.

Before I go upstairs, usually I go to the bathroom or the office (well away from the kitchen) to finish up some work of some sort. Then I'll go upstairs and finish getting ready.

About two weeks ago (this was a Monday), while I was in the bathroom, I heard a piece of silverware (it happened to be a spoon) clatter to the floor. I just dismissed it as my cat getting on the counter.

The next day (Tuesday) (I was in the office this time) I heard slurping coming from the kitchen. My cat can't do that. I was a little freaked out, but I just dismissed it as hearing things.

On Wednesday (you can probably see where this is going) I heard the sink turning on. I ran into the kitchen, ready to turn it off, but the sink wasn't on. It had shut off before I entered the room. I checked the bowl (whatever you call the thingy under the faucet) and it was dry. Not one bit of water had touched it. I thought this was especially weird, but again, I just pushed it out of my mind and continued on with my day.

Thursday was uneventful.

On Friday, when I was in the other room, there was a coughing sound from the kitchen. And no, my cat was not coughing. And my family wasn't up either. This was the thing that caused me to write this. Who or what did this? I nicknamed them the Phantoms at Five (hence the title).

Since then, nothing has happened other than the broken light (the one that doesn't turn on) in the basement being on and brighter than the rest of the lights. That happened last week (on Wednesday). I'm beginning to wonder what is in this house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ponygal2080, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ponygal2080 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-08)
That's a good theory about the fish, but I have lived in one other house, in California. I had two Betas there. One died of natural things and the other we got from a family that was moving. I don't ever remember that fish dying. I think we gave it to someone else.
I have no intercom in my house and my routine is always the same. I don't know why, but I hate changing how I get ready.
Since February, I have had a couple of weird things that I thought of commenting on here, but I didn't find the time.
I also forgot to mention that I have both a cat and a dog.
Anyway, maybe around the second week of March my dog started acting weird at this one corner of the room. He'd bark at one corner of the room, and he never barks at anything but dogs and loud/surprising noises. He hasn't done it since the end of March, but it was weird.
That's all I have time to write, I'll be back soon.
-ponygal2080
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Biblio - I think you may be on to something. There was a recent story posted here "My Earliest Ghost Experiences". In that account, the author saw a huge ghostly rat vanish into a bath tub wall.

Well, I have my doubts about these more simple life forms revealing themselves in spirit, but now I wonder. Maybe... Just maybe these fish are somehow the source of these unexplained events? Especially if nothing else has died in the house.

I don't profess to be any kind of authority on fish, but I would think fish would probably "slurp" as they spend all their lives in water? Why wouldn't the spirits of these fish continue to "slurp" on the other side?

I wonder, how did the fish die? (Ponygal - can you elaborate?) If it was due to being knocked out of their bowl, maybe the sound of running water was their way of showing their anger (do fish even get angry? I've heard tropical fish can be extremely aggressive) about the lack of water? I'm just throwing these theories out there - and yes, they are wild but what the hey, we have to try and get to the bottom of this.

The coughing. Again, may be the sound of dying fish, or their amphibious way of getting attention? Look, I'm really not sure...

Now the lights, well - I reckon that's an electricians problem.

Regards

Mack
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Ponygal, would you be up for a little sleuthing? You mentioned that nothing has happened since that one Friday. Is your routine, and that of your family, the same as it was then?

Also, it just occurred to me that you might have an intercom system in your house. Is that the case and if so, are you certain you're not hearing sounds from it?

For the sleuthing, do you have sound recorder, such as a DVR, that you could set up in the kitchen early in the morning, say about four? Then go back to bed until you normally get up, go about your routine, then turn it off when everyone else begins to wake up. Let's see if you can get any of these sounds recorded.

DandK
ponygal2080 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Bibliothecarius
I figured it wasn't malicious deceased fish.:)
My house is in the foothills section of Colorado.
-ponygal2080
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Greetings ponygal, and welcome to YGS.
DandK already asked the most immediate questions (thanks!) and you've given clear responses. It is my considered opinion that the haunting-type phenomena ARE NOT being caused by malevolent deceased pet fish. Pet fish, especially tropical fish, couldn't give a damn about people unless they are people holding cannisters of fish food.
Is your home in the desert of eastern Colorado or in the mountainous central, mountainous region? This info would clarify an idea or two in my head...
Best,
Biblio.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
ponygal2080... I suggest you to make a general of the event, in that way you can able to scrutinize the cause. Thanks for sharing
ponygal2080 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
DandK, here are the answers to your questions:
We have lived in our house for ten years this year. The house was only a year or two old when we got it. So, it's not exactly the type of creepy older house.
I think I'm the only one who actually believes in ghosts in my family.
No, I've had lots of strange things happen here. This was the one that really got me thinking about the possibility of spirits or ghosts in my house.
No one close has died other than the occasional fish.
Thanks for your questions.
-ponygal2080
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Ponygal, this is very interesting. I have a lot of questions I'm hoping you don't mind answering so that I can get a clearer picture of your situation.

First, how long have you and your family lived in the house?

Has anyone else experienced anything unusual?

Is two weeks ago the first time you've had any experiences there?

Last, has anyone close to your family died in the somewhat recent past?

Thanks for sharing this really interesting experience.

DandK

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: