You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Never Really Alone

Real Ghost Stories

Never Really Alone

 

I have hesitated to write about this for a few reasons. One, it will be a long story, so I'll break it up into two parts. Two, it becomes intensely personal. Three, well you never know how things will be received.

The part of Central Texas where all these encounters take place is close to the Devil's Backbone. It's not called the Devil's Backbone for paranormal reasons but because the area is very rugged and remote. It's made up of limestone cliffs and caverns, oak trees and juniper, and rattlesnakes and bobcats. That being said it also does have a strong reputation for unexplained happenings.

The land where these occurrences take place belonged to my long term boyfriend. He had several acres that were attached to a few hundred that belonged primarily to his father. The property has been in the family since before the civil war so several generations had been born and lived and died on it.

When Steve first took me out there we hadn't been dating long but he wanted me to see the area. His plan was to eventually build a house on it but at the time there were no structures. It had great big live oaks and wild red buds trees. Those red buds came to life in the spring when they bloomed. The property also had thickets of dew berries and a row of elm trees along the southern boundary. Along the western boundary was an old rock wall that I used to find Texas Rat Snakes sunning themselves on. One year we had a pair of Red Wing Hawks nest in the back section and successfully raise a chick. They came back for a repeat the next year. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

On that first visit there was a large wooden swing hanging on a live oak in what would become the back yard. It was the type of swing you would often find on a porch. Big enough for two or three people. There was a tall round table in front of it and an empty beer bottle sitting on the table. I asked Steve about it and he told me it was for his grandfather. I knew his grandfather was dead so he explained that he had put the swing up then and had then surprisingly seen him sitting on it many times. The acres my boyfriend owned had once belonged to his grandfather and when Steve was young they spent a lot of time there together. That is why my boyfriend bought it. It had been a special place for the two of them.

So, I waited to see the grandfather on the swing. As time went on Steve built a shed with a loft that he could use for storage and shelter if he got caught out in bad weather. One day he and his friend Jim rode out there and as they neared the live oak tree Jim asked who the man on the swing was? Steve told him it was his grandfather. Jim looked back to the swing and the old man was gone. Jim initially was so frightened he didn't want to get out of the truck but eventually did. I wasn't with them that trip so again, I waited to see the grandfather on the swing.

We made frequent trips out to the country and I was always hopeful I would see his grandfather, but it didn't come to pass. Sometimes Steve would see him but always when I wasn't there. I finally started to accept the fact that, for some reason, the grandfather didn't seem to want to appear to me. I didn't know if that was good or bad, but that was the way it was.

As time passed Steve moved in with me in Austin. One evening I drove out to the country to pick him up at his sister's and he wanted to stop by his property to check on everything. It had been raining for days and he had me stop my car on top of the little hill at the start of his land and aim my headlights down to his shed so he could see where he was walking. It was way too muddy for me too drive down the hill and not get stuck. I watched him trudge off down the slope and I got my dog out of the car to give him a break.

Cash (my dog) and I were messing around by a cattle guard when something caught my eye. I glanced up and saw Steve walking a few feet away from me towards my car so I turned back to call my dog. I was a bit puzzled though because Steve was coming from the wrong direction. He was coming from the west when he should have been coming from the north. I turned back again but he was nowhere to be seen. He had just disappeared. I suddenly realized the person I saw was wearing a dark shirt with dark pants. Steve was wearing a maroon shirt with faded jeans. I stood in the moonlight for a moment then, with my dog, searched the whole area. Nothing. No one. Nada. No footprints and no person. Cash and I were quite alone. I loaded my dog up and sat in my car waiting for my boyfriend while coming to the realization that I had finally seen the grandfather! Not on the swing, but I had seen him none the less.

I'll stop here because this post already long, but this was just the beginning of strange happenings on the land near the Devil's Backbone.

Other hauntings by Calamity

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Calamity, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ShadowFire (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-15)
Hi Calamity I really enjoyed reading your story, I too had an extremely unusual experience in the devil's backbone area by Canyon Lake, I hope my story is published so people can see what happened.

Devil's backbone has a lot of encounters mostly with civil war apparitions, ghostly horse stampeding sounds and Native American Apparitions as well. I can't wait to hear what happened from your encounter and looking forward to the conclusion of your story. I hope the experience you had was pleasant and helpful in the life you are living, thanks for sharing your story with us!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-31)
Hi Calamity, I was re-reading your story today and I hope you decide to post again soon with the second installment.

Best wishes,
DandK
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Hi ulvenNixie!

I really like Central Texas. I have to agree with you about the D.F.W. Area. It's not my favorite either. It's not the worst either though!

When you were in San Antonio you were actually close to the area I wrote about... You were probably only 45 minutes to an hour south of Steve's property, and a little more to the devil's backbone. The best way to see it is to travel between Wimberley and Blanco on hwy. 32. That takes you right along the top of it. That area is also part of the Texas Hillcountry. I lived there for long time and I do love it.

We always thought that his grandfather was keeping an eye on the land. Steve used to say that nothing bad could ever happen to us out there thanks to his grandfather. To answer your question though I don't know what his motivation was in showing himself to me that night. He was solid, and I'm guessing he looked just like he did when alive. I did think maybe it was because he accepted me or maybe he just wanted to let me know he was there.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. 😊

Calamity
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
Hello again Calamity!
The part of Central Texas that you've written about sounds really pretty. I might have to talk some people into taking a trip down to the Devil's Backbone just to see it. I currently live in Texas but I'm not from here. Honestly, I don't even really like living in Texas, but my friends are adamant that there are prettier, nicer places than where we're at right now. I live in northern Texas, in the DFW area. I've been to Midland, down into east Texas, as far south as San Antonio and all the way into the panhandle when we were on a vacation that took us through Colorado. I really should see more of the state and we have a Devil's Backbone where I'm originally from. It's in Iowa, in Backbone State Park. It's gorgeous. I am rambling though, I apologize.

Your experience sounded pretty awesome. His grandpa must have been keeping an eye on the land just as much as he was and it's wonderful that he finally let you see him. It kind of seems like he accepted you there because he was walking around as well as letting you know he was there. Did you get any sort of feeling or think of any motivation about why he might show himself that way?

I can't wait to hear more about this place. I will definitely be keeping an eye on your page.
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
RedWolf,

Thanks for reading. I am no longer with my boyfriend, you're right. What happened will be in part two which I have yet to write and submit. I debated with myself whether or not I was ready to put all of it in writing, or maybe leave part of the story out. I finally decided if I was going to write about my experiences I needed to include them all. Full disclosure or nothing. I suppose it will be clear what I'm talking about once I submit and it's accepted.

Anyway, thanks again for reading and commenting!

Calamity
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
Calamity,
I take it you are no longer with this boyfriend. Cool story though, I can't wait until I get to read the rest of it.

Regards
Red
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Here's an aside to anyone who reads this and wonders what in the heck a red winged hawk is. There is no such thing. I meant to write red-tailed hawk, but my haste coupled with an earlier conversation about White-Winged Doves led me to make the mistake.

Sorry all

Jane
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I was so busy trying to catch up on all the posts I'm behind on, I didn't realize this got published.

Manafon,

I kind of also thought that he allowed me to see him because he accepted me. I was so taken aback when I finally saw him because I wasn't the least bit frightened. I always thought it would certainly scare me to see a spirit, instead Steve's grandfather seemed much more of a guardian in a way.

Macknorton,

Thank you!

DandK,

Thank you too!

Babygoatpuller,

Thank you too! By the way, I love your name.

Jane
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Good read Calamity. Looking forward to the next installment as well!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Jane, I also can't wait for more! It was gripping! I am actually spooked, wondering if something happened to Steve.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
I can only echo manafons sentiments: well written and enjoyable read. Look forward to more!

Regards

Mack
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Hi Calamity--Really enjoyed your story. You paint a vivid picture and the reader is easily transported to central Texas with the live oak and redbud trees. I am assuming that your seeing the apparition of Steve's grandfather was a sign he had "accepted" you. It is interesting that he had earlier only been spotted sitting on the swing. Breaking this rule is intriguing. Always refreshing to read a ghost story sans any entities with an evil intent!

I look forward to reading part two.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: