You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Namesake Sticking Around

Real Ghost Stories

My Namesake Sticking Around

 

So, this is my first story here on YGS, and probably one among many.

Quick background of my experiences on life: I've had paranormal/supernatural/spiritual/pick a synonym experiences all my life. They range from harmless to confusing to downright terrifying. I also have a phobia of ghost/non-human entities, so there's that.

What I will be sharing here are my experiences with my great grandmother (and two stories that my grandmother told me about her). Someone whom I never met. She died before I was born, and I was named after her.

So, let's start at the beginning, shall we?

Well, my great grandmother passed away when my mother was in her teens, probably about eight years before I was born. Before she passed away though, there were two amazing experiences that my grandmother passed to me. When my great grandmother was laying in her bed, dying, she was ready to let go and pass, but she saw a vision. She saw her late husband come to you and tell her, "You can't go yet, Tressie. [My grandmother] is going to need you soon. You need to stay here for her." So, she stayed and the next day my grandmother's husband left her.

Fast forward to the day of her death. My great grandmother had a lot of friends and they all brought her lots of flowers and potted plants to bring comfort to her during her final months. Important fact. So, my grandma kept a vigilante watch over her mother during the final days, keeping the plants alive, as well. She has always had an amazing green thumb. I wonder if she's part faerie, sometimes! Joking aside, the time came and my great grandmother passed. My grandma was there when she passed, physically. It was very sad and she felt as though her mother was still there in the few moments after her last breath. She decided she needed to call their friend, who was also the doctor/coroner, about it so he could come and take care of things. When she returned to the room, only a few minutes later, she was absolutely shocked. Every. Single. Plant. Was dead. Every single one, even the healthiest of the potted plants. Wilted and dead. My grandma was always shocked and amazed by this. She feels that her mother loved the plants so much that she took them with her!

So, with that background, we fast forward to me being alive! Yay!

Growing up, no one told me that ghosts weren't real or anything along those lines. I grew up in the same house that my great grandmother died in, but didn't know until I was older. This was a big house (4/5 bedrooms, 3 bath rooms, probably 2,000-2,500 sqft) and an old house. There were lots of things that my child mind probably ran wild with, but there was one thing for certain; I hated being near/going into the guest bedroom in the back. Why? I didn't know for a while, but I eventually realised something... It felt like someone else was there. I didn't know what or who or how, but I just DID NOT like it! I would want to go in, but then I felt that presence and it frightened me, so I would quickly leave. Well, later on, I was told that that was where my great grandmother had died! I guess she never really truly left!

I also hated sleeping in my own room at night, but that's foggy as to why. I always felt like there was this presence hanging around if I was alone, so I would often go join my grandma.

Well, moving on to my elementary years, I was at school and had been helping a teacher during recess instead of playing like a normal kid. The bell rang, signalling us to go line up to be escorted back to our classrooms. Well, me being me, I took my time just meandering back to the line from a classroom I'd be back in within a few moments! What's the point, right? Well, apparently that wasn't going to sit well for someone unseen. I felt a push, nothing aggressive, to hurry me up. Something a mother would do to a child to shoo them along. Forceful, but loving. It was enough to make me stumble forward a bit and spin around in question. There was no one around. Not at all, just this sudden light breeze for a few seconds and that was it. I also could have *sworn* I heard someone say something. Needless to say, I hurried my tush to the line. I told my mom and grandma about it and they both agreed it sounded like something my Namesake would do!

Now, small things happened here and there, and I began to notice an entity, well, entities living in my room. I'd hear conversations, friendly ones, and joking and laughing. When my room was messy/dirty, the main entity would seem to be angry or upset. There's be a slight negativity to it. I began to be able to visualize and see who these entities were. I recognised one as my great grandma (from photos) and the other I didn't know. So, I went to my grandmother (whom I lived with) and described the second entity to her. She quickly answered with who it was as if I had shown her a picture! I told her that they lived in my room and she didn't even bat an eye. I told her about their conversations, their joking, the upsetness I felt when my room was messy. She just laughed and said, "That sounds like [your great grandmother]!" She also agreed that it sounded like my great grandma's friend, Mary.

Since I've moved away from my grandmother, I haven't noticed my great grandma much, but it was a cool thing to grow up with. It was a nice positive to have in all the crazy I had.

Though, I do have a question in all of this;

Do any of you feel it is possible for the spirits of the departed to freely come and go? It felt like she more "visited" than lived there 24/7.

Thank you for reading, and I promise, I will get better at writing these. I'm just trying to build up the courage to write out the less than pleasant stories that I need help with.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FireFaerie13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FireFaerie13 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Hey everyone!

Just got a chance to read the comments (we haven't had internet where I live! Oh no!)

Thank you to everyone with your comments.:-) I really appreciate them!

I do have many more stories to share here on YGS that I do need help understanding, so definitely expect those in the future!

As for my phobia... It doesn't stem from anything being taught as a kid. A lot of people have told me "Don't worry, ghosts/spirits/etc can't hurt you!" And my response usually is "If they can fling a chair/table/etc, they can fling a knife!" Also, possessions, and such scare me.

I always try to keep amethyst on me to help, but I've been sensitive to a lot my whole life, which probably got really overwhelming and I had no one to talk to about it properly.

All in all, thank you all so much for your help, compliments and comments! <3 I really appreciate it! I am looking forward to hearing your wisdom on future subjects! From what I have read through other comments, you all have great views on things!

Blessed be! <3
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
It is always good to hear the pleasant stories first, breaks the ice and everyone can relate 😊. I hope to see more from you, you did very well writing this peace, easy to follow and great back story to get to know you with.

I too get visited by my grandparents, I think it is totally normal for spirits to want to see how someone that they love is doing.

Blessed be! ❤
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
FireFaerie
Yes spirits can come and go as they please. My father in-law who died a long time ago is here to check up on the family so often I should charge him rent 😆. My grandfather comes when my family or I really need him. My mother came to me when I was hospitalized with pneumonia shortly after her death. I asked her to give me a sign that it was really her and when I got home the Dogwood tree that had never bloomed before had a blossom right in front of me. All of my Dogwoods bloomed for the first time that year.
Red
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
RandyM,
I wish I had you there to explain things to me as a child! That was the perfect way to explain it! 😊.
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
FireFaerie13,

I have no doubt that spirits can travel back and forth. I know I've experienced more than one that could come and go. Where exactly they were in between times, I don't know, but back and forth they went. In fact I'm sure they still, do whether I'm there to see them or not. I even believe that for the most part spirits are around us way more than we think they are.

I know you say you have a phobia of ghosts and non-human entities, but you seem to have accepted your great grandmother's presence. You've even accepted her friend Mary. You thought it was a "cool thing to grow up with" and "a nice positive to have in all the crazy" you had. So I suspect what you really mean is that you've already figured out that spirits and entities don't have to be bad, you're just worried about having one of the bad experiences you've heard of. Have faith that your great grandmother is looking out for you and will continue to do so.

Remember, in the immortal words of F.D.R.,
" We have nothing to fear but fear itself. "

Jane
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Thank You Mack

And may I say I concur with what you said.
It is dead on right.
No pun intended 😁

Randy
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Randy - can I say that was beautifully put!

To add on from Randy's comment I like to think of us as spirits with bodies, not bodies with spirits.
The body dies when the spirit leaves it.

Perfectly natural as birth, all part of the plan. Nothing to worry about. 😊

Regards

Mack
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Hello FireFaerie
Thanks for sharing your story.

First let me say this
Work on that phobia about ghosts.
The ONLY thing a ghost is is a person that no longer has a body.
If a friend suddenly lost their arm you wouldn't be afraid of them would you? Of course not. Imagine your friend losing their whole body. That's all it is.
OK I may have over simplified it but you get my point. I think peoples' fear of ghosts comes from the way we are taught at an early age.
Or think of it this way. If your relative loved and protected you when they were alive,
Them dying did nothing to change that. They still love and want to protect you and want only the best for you.
On to your question.
Yes spirits can and do "return" to the living. Much more than most people know.
They normally return to places that made them happy when they were alive and they love to listen in on those they love. All they have to do to return to a place is to think of it and they are there in an instant. The only difference is they see it as it was when they were alive on this side of death.
One other thing. If you wish to talk to her simply say her name and she will hear you.
Ask her to come and she can if she wishes to.
Cheers to you
Randy
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
FireFaerie13,
To answer your question,yes.
I have many visits from my grandpa,uncle,and other spirits on a regular basis.
I believe they come and go, as they please. When I'm having a particualrly difficult couple of days etc, they seem to show up, and my emotions ease.
From the sounds of your experiences (written perfectly, I may add)
😊,your great grandmother was watching over you.
I understand your being terrified of the other side of things, it may come that your being scared will ease a bit.

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: