You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Intelligent, Obvious Shadow Person

Real Ghost Stories

Intelligent, Obvious Shadow Person

 

Somewhere in the woods that surround the cul de sac outside of my parents' home (in Southern Alabama) and the cemetery that runs parallel to it all, I've seen a tall, opaque, obviously intelligent shadow person. He NEVER leaves that general area. I've wandered out of it and left him behind before. Never has he ever been inside my parents' home. Even in the story following, his feet were planted firmly in the street.

He makes me very uncomfortable. His height is...towering. Maybe 8 feet? When he moves, it's slow, deliberate. Most often, I see him for a split second and then he's gone. I just see him passing by. Usually he seems to be searching for something, looking side to side. I'd believe he looked "lost" in the woods but since I've seen him in the street and outside the house, I highly doubt that to be the case.

I believe he's watching me some of the time that he's around. Observing more than anything else. Even when I don't see him, after I've gotten far enough into the woods with my dog, go jogging too close to the cemetery (not on purpose- it's part of the neighborhood), or even just wander outside after a certain hour, I can feel someone staring at me. It doesn't feel good. I can even hear him walking behind me sometimes. As in, I stop walking and hear a few more behind me. I turn to look and no one is there.

The thing that really, really makes me afraid of him is that one night last year, I saw him leaning against my parents' mailbox. I'd already moved out by then, but I was bringing them some bread and other grocery staples. I stopped short on the way to the front door because I saw what I believed to be a man out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look and there the shadow man was. He was leaning forward, right elbow propped on the mailbox, chin rested in his palm. His other arm was simply resting. He looked. Right. At. Me.

He was totally opaque, as always. Not a fog. Not translucent. Totally solid, as if I could really touch him. Obviously, he had no visible eyes but I could tell he was making eye contact. Absolutely. My blood ran cold. Instant chill bumps. I nearly dropped everything in my hands. It felt like free fall- that feeling in my stomach. I wanted to run inside or yell at him to leave but I was frozen. He terrified me. If I've ever felt "the fear of God," it was then. I can still feel it when I recall him there, staring into me.

It feels like he was there forever. It couldn't have lasted more than five or six seconds but it felt like it went on and on. Eventually, I could move. As soon as I could, I jumped backwards onto the hedges (no clue why, my instincts must be terrible) and he was gone. Just...gone. There one moment, absolutely dissipated the next. Even the air changed. He'd really vanished.

If anyone could tell me what he may be, where he could've come from, and why he would approach me that way, I'd appreciate it. Again, I don't even live in that home. I don't have him figured out at all. Also, anyone who'd like to share with me some knowledge of shadow people in general, please, please do! I'm very interested and know very little.

Other hauntings by flowersgrowback

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, flowersgrowback, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Goggzy (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-12)
Flowersgrowback

Being sensitive is a form of psychic we actually have a former investigator who was sensitive and worked on honing her talent, (she know tours as a psychic) you may find certain places may make your talent stronger (for example a place you feel safe). Do you feel something around you constantly or do you rarely feel anything.
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
That is a really, really awesome idea, Red.:) I'll have to try it. Thanks!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
flowersgrowback,
The fact that you say the houses were there before the cemetary makes me think that he was the watcher of the forest. I say this because you say the houses are 5-10 years old depending on the subdivision. It breaks your heart to hear people cutting down trees to make room for more houses? How do you think it makes him feel? I bet if you planted some trees at your parents house would make both of you feel better.

Regards
Red
RandyKnapp (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Read my story. I'm like you. I don't know much about this sort of thing but I have had an encounter with a shadow figure that was similar.
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Thanks everyone for reading and responding:) Now I'm definitely much less unsettled by him.

Spirit, the cemetery is very, very new, are are the neighborhoods. The neighborhoods were actually here first (built 5-10 years ago depending on the subdivision) and the cemetery came alone somewhere in the middle of that. It's incredibly small. Just a couple of acres and a chain link fence. The street that it's on runs parallel to my parents', and you can see it just past the backyard of the neighbor's house across the street. I've always thought it was odd placement for a public cemetery. There are giant, very new homes located right next door to it. If it weren't for the chain link fence and crummy, cardboard sign, it'd seem to be part of someone's property. Originally, the area was nothing but woods. It makes me sad because I can hear people cutting down trees to make room for future subdivisions.

Goggzy, psychic is a strong word that certainly doesn't describe me. Hahaha. I'm sensitive and have plenty of paranormal experiences, but to say I'm psychic (within my own vocabulary at least) would be to imply a lot of abilities and experiences that I don't possess.:)
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
I forgot to ask, since he seems to have a limit as to how far he goes...
Do you think maybe the cemetary stretched further in the past, than it does currently?
Maybe they moved graves etc, to make a housing addition?

Just some thoughts and questions.:)
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Flowersgrowback,
I agree with zzgranny.
With the experience you have written, it does seem he's more curious as to how you can see him. And him being so close maybe he likes to spook you a bit, by his reactions which are none.
Your reactions to it are normal being what you have went through, gut reactions are of most importance.
If he doesn't do anything besides stand, and watch I wouldn't be to afraid of him.
Like Zzgranny stated it does sound like more of a protector of the cemetary, and you walking too close may alarm him, so he watches you.
Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Goggzy (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Being so close to a cemetery makes this harder to place. Are you in anyway psychic as this could have surprised him. If he is a watcher this could be why he does what he does.
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
I'm an assault survivor, so any feeling of being watched or followed is likely to make my hair stand on end. That's part of why it's difficult to know if it's him or just me making me so uncomfortable.
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Honestly, granny, I was terrified, but I'm not sure if it's because of him. Most likely it's my own, self-generated fear. Since I have little concrete belief/knowledge on anything that I don't see as "human," I'm naturally more afraid of them I think. And he's so tall that I'm probably going to be afraid of him anyway. As I said, his height is a little intimidating.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Flowers- Great read. The first thing I thought was my visitor "Mr. Winfred". Don't mean to make a plug on my story but as granny described he seemed to be a "watcher". Although he never made a DELIBERATE moment that lasted that amount of time. I would have had to change my pants after something like that.

In my experience "Mr. Winfred" was just observing/watching me in that days activities. He was there only that one day. However, he allowed me to see him several times during the day.

Great story. Will be seeing what the others think. Thanks for sharing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Flowers: How would you describe the fear you felt? In other words, do you think the fear emanated from him, or was it because like anyone, you were freaked out by seeing him so closely?

I find it interesting that he hangs out so close to a cemetery. I believe he may be what I call a "watcher", or the guardian of the cemetery. I think he may have been curious that you could actually see him 😆.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: