You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Think She Finally Believes Me

Real Ghost Stories

I Think She Finally Believes Me

 

The 30th of March will be the first anniversary of my Step-father's passing. He was a genuinely wonderful and deeply religious man. On two occasions I was able to go "Ghost Hunting With Loonies" during a vacation to visit my Mom. Of course I stayed at their home. He joked that he was worried I'd bring back a demon to his house haha. Like my Mom, he didn't believe in ghosts or spirits but he believed in demons. Go figure!

He passed away during Holy Week, on Monday. Since he had been suffering a long battle with cancer, he, my Mom and their pastor had long before made his funeral arrangements and he was able to be buried the following Wednesday. I got the news on Monday and I and my daughter Leslie (Momkeylemur is her YGS screen name) were on a plane bound for Ohio the next day. Monday night, as I lay in bed thinking of and talking to him, I told him, "Now's your chance Frank. Prove to Mom that I'm right about ghosties. Do something to show her you're going to be okay and you're looking over her."

Since we had made flight plans on such short notice we weren't able to get a non-stop flight. We had a layover in Atlanta for about 2 hours. While we were waiting to board the attendants were calling the names of passengers who didn't yet have seat assignments by their last names. We were tired, sitting there just chillin', and I heard, "Smith...Frey...Frank (his first name)...M*** (his LAST name!) " As I frowned trying to grasp if I'd heard that right, Leslie looked at me in disbelief as well and said, "Did they just say 'Frank M***'?" I said, "Yep! They sure did!" and we giggled... A lot. We both felt that he was showing us he knew we were on our way, and he was going to watch over us to make sure we got there.

After we'd arrived at my Mom's, my step-sister Sandy used her computer to post his obituary on facebook. She did it on her page, but she tagged him (yes, my elderly parents have a facebook account, all of you non- FB believers lol!) which means that it would show up on his page as well. My Mom had been sleeping in the chair in the living room for so long (his hospice bed had been set up there) that it was hard for her to sleep in a bed. We called it a night and hit the sack.

In the morning (the day of the funeral), she was up very early, as were we. She said, "The weirdest thing happened this morning when I got up to pee. I went in the bathroom and on my way back to the chair I glanced at my computer and it was on. So I sat down to see what was on and there was Frank's facebook open, and his obituary was the first thing in his news feed!" I just smiled. The first thing I asked her about was whether she'd bumped the desk on her way to the bathroom but her computer sleep mode is set up so that a key has to be pressed on the keyboard for it to wake up. I asked a few people about it and was told that sometimes facebook notifications will wake a computer. So, I had my daughter post something to his page... It didn't wake up.

After a very long day, we were ready for bed. Leslie posted a picture of Frank's vault cover, which was white and painted with a waving American flag, his name, and the dates he served in the military. It was beautiful. He had picked it out himself. The next morning, Mom was up early again, and again, the very same conversation took place. She went to the bathroom and when she came back the computer was on, but this time it was the picture of his vault cover. I think by this time she was getting a little freaked out LOL!

On Friday, Leslie and I ran a few errands for my Mom and on the way home we stopped by the cemetery. We were amazed that the flowers and wreaths were still gorgeous and appeared as fresh as they did the day of the funeral. Understand, this is in Ohio... In the first days of April...Very, very chilly during the day and below freezing at night. We took a picture to show Mom, and again posted it on facebook.

The next morning...Yep! Same conversation! Mom looked at me and asked, "What is he trying to tell me, Gin?" I told her he was just letting her know that he was happy about the way she'd followed through with the arrangements they'd made, that he was probably going to be hanging around for a few days to make sure she was okay. I think she was mostly satisfied with that explanation. And I was happy that he thought enough of me and my silly request to follow through, too.

Other hauntings by zzsgranny

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zzsgranny, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-09-17)
I have an update to this story that I keep forgetting to post.

After Frank passed, my Mom received a sizable inheritance from his great aunt who was exceptionally aged and childless. She left her money to her nieces and nephews. She chose to do something for the little country church they attend, that she and Frank had joked about while he was alive. She had an elevator installed and had a plaque hung over the control that read, " In loving memory of Frank M***. In honor of Jodi M***" (Jodi is my step-sister who, as a child, had a brain tumor and wasn't expected to live beyond puberty. She's now 59 years old. She had a stroke about 10 years ago, and is now in a nursing home in a vegetative state.)

In March, my eldest brother passed away from complications due to Alzheimer's. My Daughter and I went to Ohio to comfort my Mom and just be with other family members since he didn't want a funeral, or even a memorial service.

When I walked in the house I saw the plaque leaning on her kitchen window. I asked her why and she said, "Well, he just didn't want it there. It kept falling to the floor. They tried all kinds of hangers and glue and what-not but it wouldn't stay there. So they gave it to me." hahahaha He didn't want the kudos for it.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-13)
Hello DARKNESS my old friend...You've come to talk with us again! 😆 (You know y'all sang that!)

Geez, I've been neglectful in replying so let me do that!

Yes, Dan and Aussie, I'm sure he believes now, as well as my Mom. It was just so cool to be able to witness those things, and awesome that he'd felt it important enough to allow me to.

Otteer, DandK: Thank you reading and commenting, and for offering condolences. He's where he wants to be, I'm sure.

Fergie: ❤ You know my mantra well! I'm so glad you enjoyed my story. I'm hoping that we'll hear from him again or that my Mom and steps have some stories to tell.

Spiritwaiting: These signs are the best! Sometimes we need things like this to convince the skeptics. I really think she believed all along and just was never comfortable enough to admit it. LOL. Thank you for the "faves" add! I'm truly touched.

Cosmo: Yeah, I think I was posting this in a group as it was happening just to try to debunk. None of us could LOL. I love the little signs, you know that, my friend. It was comforting, and at the airport we were more in a state of shock, I think. Just to hear his name when we really weren't doing anything more than people watching, lost in our own thoughts.

Darkangel: I know right? They only believe in "some" spirits hahahaha. That was one of the arguments I always used with my Mom. It confuses me as well.

Red: It's kind of funny because I knew my step-brothers before I knew him. We were drinking buddies LOL. After my Mom and Dad got divorced my Mom and I were known to indulge. We all were regulars at a small neighborhood bar, and one night they brought their Dad with them. Oh my goodness, he was so handsome! So we hatched a plan to get them together... And the rest is history! Of course he could never take the place of my Dad, nor did he ever want/expect to. But he has his own special place in my heart.

Sds: Yes, as I mentioned earlier in this megalo-comment, it was rather shocking. That moment will stick with me forever. Just out of the blue! I'm sure we'll hear from him again.

Stephy: I'm at peace, and I'm sure he is, too. I just wonder though: he was the kind of person that if he really enjoyed messing with someone, he'd continue haha, and this was probably amusing to him.

Okay, I think I have everyone covered 😆. Sorry it took me so long to reply, life and all that. Thank you all for reading, commenting and for the sweet thoughts and condolences. I love you all!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-13)
Hey Granny, Sorry I am late reading this account of yours, it truly is heart warming. I am glad your mum was able to witness these subtle but strong accounts and that Frank heard your calls you can bet he is now a believer. 😊 ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-14)
I think he believes in ghost now Granny, nice story sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Regards Aussie. ❤
stephyw2001 (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-13)
That is a sweet story:)
Thank you for sharing it!
I'm sorry for your loss, but with all those signs, I'm sure you feel very at peace:)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-13)
zzsgranny, great experience and thanks for sharing. I am sorry for the loss. More than your request to him, I was moved with your experience at the airport. I hope still he looks after you and your mom.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-11)
granny

My condolences on the loss of your beloved step-father. He sounds like he treated you and your siblings as his own. I hope that he is
Still watching over your mother. You and he must have had a special bond that he would do as you asked 😁.

Respectfully
Red
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
zzsgranny- That was a great story, I love to hear stories like this. I have meet people that believe in a "Higher Power", but don't believe in Ghosts. I never understood how that works LOL. This story reinforces my belief that anything is possible in the spirit world. ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
Hey granny - I thought the same as Miracles. I remembered a few details from this as well. It is comforting to have these messages sent by our loved ones. And it doesn't even have to be this elaborate event, the slightest things they do just to let you know that they are there is a blessing. I'm glad he got through to your mom too. ❤
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
Zzgranny,
My condolences to this loss. This account was beautiful and had me smiling and giggling all the way through. 😊.
The signs are the best arent they! When validation comes through and you feel the other person believe it!:)

I am happy to know you had such a wonderful upbringing, because we have you here, spreading the same awesome light.

I hope you share more of these interactions with him, I love it and its going into my favs!

Thanks so much for sharing, best way to start a day!

Much ❤
Sincerely Spiritwaiting
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
Granny, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of a wonderful man whom you will/are miss (ing). I know what it is like, but the memories do get easier to bear, not that 'missing them' gets any less.

Lol, I know your 'mantra', granny, "there is no such thing as coincidence", and I have come to believe it too. How wonderful that you and your family have so many signs from your step-dad. Hopefully they will continue. I guess your mom was surprised by the events, but she surely must be convinced by the signs.

Thank you for your touching narration, it brought a lump to my throat. ❤
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
Zzsgranny, thanks for the great story. It's got to be a wonderful feeling knowing he contacted you and your mom.

Best regards, DandK
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Love this to pieces! I am so happy for you and your family he made himself known. Wonderful! Sounds like a lovely man, my condolences for your loss! Xxx
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Thank you all for the condolences. You know, sometimes people think that because someone is terminally ill that it makes their passing a little easier, but I can testify that it does not. Sure, there's a small consolation that they're finally free from pain and suffering. But the loss is felt just the same. He was so good to my Mom and all of us (her kids, etc.). My daughter explained it to her husband this way: "You know how when someone dies and everybody says what a wonderful person they were whether they were or not? Well, Frank's the only person I know that all those sentiments are completely, honestly true."

We're planning a vacation in the near future, and we'll probably stay with Mom. I'm hoping to hear some more stories, maybe from the step-siblings.

GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
[at] Calamity, sincerest condolences hun. Everybody says time makes it get.better. I don't think so. I think time makes the memory of your loved one easier to bear. I tried not to think about my Dad, threw myself into work and anything that kept my mind occupied as it was too painful to think of him. But as time passes, the memories are easier, thinking of him provides me comfort now as he was and always will be my Dad.
GothamsReckoning (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Condolences to you and yours, Granny.

I lost my father on 10 Feb 2011, and hes had his ways of letting us know he is still around.

I think this was a lovely story, just reinforces my belief that our loved ones departed can get through to us. Facebook as they say keeps us all connected!

Thanks xxx
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Granny,

Just want to extend my condolences to you and your family. I've recently marked the first anniversary of my father's passing as well. This is a tough thing to go through.

It's lovely that your step-father has been able to communicate to your mother, and by extension to you. I definitely hope to be reading about more signs from him in the future!

Jane 😊
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Great account Granny! I don't think it was a "silly" request from you. I think it was a very valid one because he knows now that you would be there to help support your mom and give her the explanation that would be needed. And you explained it very well.

Maybe you'll be getting calls from her telling you about more subtle little hints that he's watching over her. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
granny - even though I knew bits and pieces of this, your story still brought tears to my eyes ❤ Bless Frank's heart, I think it's wonderful he was doing everything he could to get through to your mom. Well, with the exception of appearing to her 😆 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: