You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Memories Of My Uncle

Real Ghost Stories

Memories Of My Uncle

 

I have been reading the stories on here and was reminded of an incident that occurred in the first house I lived in.

On one particular night there was a show called Ally McBeal, I don't know if anyone remembers it, but I loved watching it and winding down before I had a bath and went to bed. My young daughter was always in bed by then so it was my little bit of " me" time.

One night I was glued to the screen when I smelled something. It was familiar but I couldn't place it initially, so I turned back to the TV. Then it seemed to breeze past me, if that makes sense, like it blew in front of me. I raised my head, sniffing, it was so familiar, I knew that smell!

Then a thought struck me, I jumped up and ran to the kitchen to check everything was turned off. I knew I had already cleaned up and shut everything off in there but there was no harm in being sure! But no, nothing on, nothing burning, all was as I had left it. I ran back to the lounge hoping I hadn't missed anything on the show and sat back on the sofa.

A few minutes went by, and again, the smell came back, again it felt like it blew in front of my face. I sat there puzzled, then as usual on the break I went up to check on my sleeping daughter (yes I had a baby monitor but I always checked her myself periodically!)

It was then I realised the smell was only in the lounge area, not in the rest of the house. I sat down and concentrated, racking my brain to try and remember what it was I was smelling, then it hit me, it was St. Bruno pipe tobacco! I don't know if anyone knows the brand, it had a very distinctive smell. Anyway, now I knew what it was, I just had to figure out where it was coming from!

Ally McBeal was forgotten, I turned on the outside lights, checked through the window, there was no sign of anyone, and no one in the house smoked. Any visitors smoked outside but anyone I knew smoked cigarettes not a pipe. I hadn't smelled it in years though, and I had been alone in the house all day with my daughter. But I sprayed the room anyway. The show was over, I thought no more of it and I went off to bed.

The following week I settled down to watch and again the smell breezed in front of me, filling my nostrils. I sat there for a few moments thinking where is it coming from? And who do I know who smokes a pipe of all things?!

Then I remembered my favourite uncle, my uncle Fred, he had passed many years before when I was about 8, but when I was young he would always take time for me, tell me stories, play card games with endless patience, he habitually smoked a pipe and always used St. Bruno pipe tobacco. It was the aroma I always associated with him.

The smell never manifested at any other time, in any other room, only in the lounge during that show (it was the kind of show he would have liked!) I like to think it could have been uncle Fred, just hanging out with his favourite niece!

Other hauntings by Angelkiss

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Angelkiss, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Angelkiss (7 stories) (46 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-24)
Hi LizP
As the weeks progressed I did start saying as the show began "ok unkie fred (thats what I called him when he was alive) time for Ally Mcbeal!"
Once the show went off air I didn't get the smell anymore so I guessed he had just wanted to let me know he was around at that particular time 😊
LizP (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-24)
That's lovely, I've had a similar thing with the smell of my late granddad's cigars, usually at my parent's house out in the garden, but sometimes inside or at his house. Did you ever acknowledge the presence verbally? I wonder if it would work to open up communication on a clearer level. Personally, I felt the smell was comfort enough but sometimes I think I'd like to feel a stronger presence.
Angelkiss (7 stories) (46 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
babygoatpuller yeah it is kind of a weird humour! But then my humour does lean towards the weird/dark side! Maybe I get that from my uncle! 😆
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
I loved Ally McBeal! Weird. I was just thinking about that show the other day and for the life of me could not remember Ally's last name. 😆

I like that your uncle would have enjoyed the show. It is a weird type of humor. I'm sure he was there enjoying it with you Angelkiss.

Thanks for sharing and now I'm off to check Netflix. 😊
Angelkiss (7 stories) (46 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Hi Mack
I think youre right, being relaxed is probably the best time to be open to communication with our deceased loved ones
My uncle would love that show for sure! Definately his type of humour 😊
Thanks for your comments
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-17)
Hi Anglekiss - cool story. Sounds like your Uncle was stopping by to check on you and let you know he was around? Maybe he was a big Ally McBeal fan as well? 😊

A thought occurred to me whilst reading; the time that you smelt the tobacco smell was when you were relaxed and happy - maybe that's when it's easier for deceased loved ones to communicate with us when we are in that open and calm space?

Cheers

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: