You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Interesting Visit

Real Ghost Stories

My Interesting Visit

 

A little over two years ago my young sons and myself set off to Colorado to see my relatives for long visit. The first half of the stay, I spent at my Mother's. I left around eight in the morning. The drive was pleasant enough but it was around eleven hours or so and I was tired when I arrived. My Mom let me know I'd be bunking with my five year old sister that night. I was told she hardly ever slept in there but she was looking forward to a sleepover of sorts with me and my then two year old and three month old sons.

My Mother's apartment was on the second story and situated between several other apartments on either side. The room I was staying in was at the back of the apartment, to the left, with no windows or closet. The dining room was just outside her room and the only thing that could be seen when her door was open, was the wall of the small hallway leading to the bathroom. Upon entering the room you would see, straight ahead of you, a queen size bed taking up the back portion of her room. The bed was touching three of the four walls. I had set up a pac-N-play to the right, by the foot of the bed. My youngest was just going to sleep in his infant seat near the door since his brother would most likely squish him if they slept together.

Later that evening we said our goodnights and headed to our room. It must have been around 9:00 PM and my kiddos were ready to get settled. After reading a bit to my young crowd, I tucked everyone in and turned out the light. The fan was on and the door was slightly cracked because of the heat. Light faintly streamed in from my Mother's TV in her own room on the far side of the apartment. My sister had wanted to sleep closest to the wall which was fine with me because I knew I'd have to get up at some point in the night to hush my three month old back to sleep. Judging by the rustling coming from his seat, that would perhaps, be sooner rather than later.

I was laying on my right side, with my eyes closed, listening to the sounds of breathing all around me as it slowly got more even and deep. My sister and older son had drifted of quite peacefully

But my littlest one was still stirring. I willed myself not to fall asleep because as soon as I got comfortable, I knew he'd wake up and cry out to me to soothe him. After awhile, all grew quite. He had also fallen asleep. I couldn't really believe it, so I opened my eyes to see if he really was asleep or just laying there awake, waiting for a midnight snack so to speak. What I saw truly shocked me.

Kneeling near my infant's place of rest, was a man, gazing down at my sleeping child. One of his hands looked as though it was touching the seat. I couldn't believe my eyes! I screamed silently in my mind, willing myself to wake up if I was dreaming. I quickly blinked. No, I wasn't asleep. He then turned slightly and gazed into my eyes. The stare was a curious one and it only lasted a moment, when he suddenly disappeared before my eyes! My heart was racing as I sat up and went to my little one. He was sleeping as peacefully as ever and no one else in the room seemed none the wiser to this mysterious thing that had just occurred. The feeling in the room was not horror at seeing some otherworldly specter but it was the feeling of calm and sleepiness. I stood there feeling incredibly unafraid. I sat back down on the bed and wondered at my latest, most visual encounter. Now I understood why my small sister didn't like to sleep in here alone...

After telling my family about it (minus my sister) the next day, they were a little spooked but not worried. Over the course of the two years since then, they have had several other experiences including strange feelings, shadow people and a time when my Mother felt the entity leave entirely. My Mom and brothers were just sitting around when suddenly a wind ripped through the apartment, taking some curtains with it through the open windows... Ever since then there had been no more strange occurrences.

Today my mother called and after a brief chat she asked if my brother had told me about an interesting thing that had recently happened to her. I said no so she proceeded to tell me about a lady who drove up in a van and went up to to the second story to talk with her. She asked if she resided in the apartment behind them and my Mother answered yes. The woman then excitedly asked if the ghost was still there. She went on to explain that she had used to live there years ago and she was positive there was a ghost of a man living with her. My mom shared a few of the things that had happened but told her she thought whatever it was, was now gone because of the episode with the wind.

That certainly tied up a few loose ends for me. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Afraidnolonger

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Afraidnolonger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-06)
Many thanks rook, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and I did find it helpful
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-05)
2nd1st,

You have asked a question and for what its worth here is my two cents (my opinion folks, simply my opinion).

You asked...

"Ah, in most cases even when an apparition is perceived by the observer to be benign or even a positive force, the observer reports a strong fear response.

What I do wonder about instances such as this in which there is an absence of fear or a positive feeling, is this a factor of the spirit itself or of the observer?"

We, as sentient beings, have a natural 'flight or fight' response. When faced with something we do not understand fear 'kicks in' and prepares our body for one of two things... To fight something, or to run from something. Because of this a common question we ask around here is something like...'I understand you were scared, but what, if anything did the spirit/entity 'feel like'?', OR 'Did it seem like it hated you, or was it just trying to communicate?' become important because, at least in my experience, many individuals seem to remember 'how' the spirit/entity 'felt' when they understand that 'being afraid' of the unknown is a natural reaction...

You also asked this...

"If a factor of the spirit itself is it innate or can it control the emotive responses that it's mere presence elicits?"

The nature of a spirit CAN be innate, nature spirits and elementals are good examples of just simply being 'what they are', good, bad or neutral. Human spirits, in my opinion, start out as neutral and as they develop they become, good, bad or neutral. Then there are the BIG TWO... Angels and Demons... Guess what... No in between here, they are either 'GOOD' (Angel's) or 'BAD (Evil) ' (Demon's).

In all cases, if one can overcome their fear the true nature of a spirit/entity can be felt... That does not mean we can not be tricked into thinking a 'bad' spirit is good... But if we take some time, and trust our 'gut instincts' we can figure it out.

I hope that answers your questions.

Respectfully,

Rook
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-05)
Ah, in most cases even when an apparition is perceived by the observer to be benign or even a positive force, the observer reports a strong fear response.

What I do wonder about instances such as this in which there is an absence of fear or a positive feeling, is this a factor of the spirit itself or of the observer?

Perhaps experiencer would be a better term than observer given that these encounters are so multifaceted?

If a factor of the spirit itself is it innate or can it control the emotive responses that it's mere presence elicits?

I realise that no one has a firm answer to these questions, but I am interested to hear theories (particularly if the rationale behind the theory can be explained).

On a side note, I feel that I have come to the right place to share my experiences. Just need to get into the right frame of mind to write them down, recalling them in detail is still a little unsettling for me.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-04)
Afraidnolonger,thanks. Please keep us updated if you learn more.
Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-22)
Its wonderful that you all "liked" it! I have a few more spookier tales of close relatives to share soon so stay tuned! Manafon1, the look was one of curiosity or perplexity. Confusion maybe? Babygoatpuller and DandK, I have yet to ask my sister since they still reside there and I didn't want to bring up things she didn't feel comfortable telling me on her own. I am visiting again soon so I will gather more info if possible. Judging by all the bits I've heard from other family members, there may be another story about the apartment! From what I can tell they weren't peaceful or happy experiences though.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-20)
Afraidnolonger, I'm also curious if you asked your sister why she didn't like to sleep in that room. Also, if the man was peaceful, and helping your baby sleep, why would your sister not like sleeping in the room because of him?

I enjoyed your story!
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
I pushed my homemade button to Wish-Not. 😆

Sounds like this gentle soul was just curious about the newcomers Afraidnolonger. Did you ever ask your little sister why she didn't want to sleep in her room?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Afraidnolonger- After reading your story I was looking for the "Like" button. Silly me, they don't have those here. So,

Like

I made me one and I pushed it 😁
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Afraidnolonger--I really enjoyed reading your account. It does seem that the apparition you saw was a prior resident (especially with a former resident of the apartment also reporting a ghost of a man when she lived there).

My only question is what exactly was the "curious" look the apparition gave you? He seems a gentle spirit, just gazing down at your young son. Did you interpret the look he gave you as anything other than friendly or peaceful? Just interested in what you perceived in his eyes. Thanks for sharing your experience!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: