You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Long Term Haunting Type Events- Would Like Your Insight

Real Ghost Stories

Long Term Haunting Type Events- Would Like Your Insight

 

I've been wanting to talk about my experience for a long time and this seems like the right place to do it. I will have to limit some of the details quite severely as the site says it won't publish accounts that have certain aspects to them as they attract the wrong kind of people and create discord between members. Consequently, I can only give a partial account of my experiences as I don't want to displease anyone. I will consider posting a more full account elsewhere, but it is hard to find sites that appear interested in collating actual ghost experiences. So far this is the most reliable one I have found.

I grew up in a small house in Auckland, New Zealand. There were no problems until I was about fourteen. Events started gradually, becoming more pronounced over time. The earliest signs of something amiss were simply feelings. It's hard to explain, but it just felt like there was someone in the room with me. Initially these feelings only occurred in my bedroom (later I occasionally got them in other parts of the house and in altogether different location). It felt scary, but I did not believe that there was an actual presence at first. I thought I was imagining things.

As time went on, actual physical contact starting taking place. The first few instances felt like fleeting and fairly insubstantial touches and were fairly infrequent. These were harder to dismiss as imagination, but I still managed it for a time.

I started to notice objects in my room were sometimes not where I had left them. Again, I blamed my imagination.

As time went on, the physical contact became more frequent and more substantial. By now I knew something was seriously, seriously wrong. I would usually flee the room. But on one occasion I just couldn't get the door open. At the time I was certain that the presence was somehow stopping it from opening. But now I wonder if in my panic I was maybe not turning the knob fully. But either way, the result was that I didn't get out fast and experienced a sudden, sharp pain on my leg. Then I got the door open and got out. I had a visible bite mark on my leg at the exact spot at which I had felt the pain. The mark appeared to be a human bite. This was the first actually violent contact. I can't describe how terrified I was.

I confided in my parents what had happened. I knew they probably wouldn't believe me, but thought that maybe with the bite mark they would take me seriously. They didn't believe a word I said and believed that I must have got the bite under very different circumstances, shall we say.

My parents are very strict and my punishment was pretty severe. They thought I was doing something I shouldn't have been at my age (which was not the case!) and really, really really wanted to make sure I desisted.

Further escalations included several instances in which I saw objects in my room move on their own. The most serious incident of this nature was a drawer flying open and the items of clothing in that drawer just sort of threw themselves out in a clump.

Physical touches were in the form of sustained pressure (like a hand on me not moving), rubbing, single stroking type contact (such as the feeling of a hand stroking once down my hair) and so forth.

Physical touches and the feeling of a presence continued. The physical touches evolved to include occasional slaps. These were mostly pretty light and felt almost playful in nature.

A friend who came round once felt a hand running down her hair and was then slapped when she jumped away. On another occasion, I was at a sleep over at a friend's house with three other girls. I experienced both the feeling of presence and a prolonged touch to my leg whilst there. The other girls all had the same ominous feeling of presence but were not touched. Given that others had experiences when I did that strengthens my belief that I wasn't stark raving mad and imagining everything. The fact that the latter occurrence took place away from the house suggested to me that the "problem" was not my house per se. I started to wonder if I was being haunted rather than my house being haunted. Later events seem to confirm this.

I started hearing what sounded like distant whispers. I can't remember how early in events this started, but it was definitely some time after the bite. These did not appear to emanate from any particular direction. For a long time these were entirely indistinct. But as events progressed over time some parts would be intelligible (usually only a word or a few words). These were often words that had connotations of ownership. I found these really ominous and in some ways they frightened me more than many of the more tangible events.

Another development over time was that from time to time I started having prolonged downward pressure on my shoulder or head when standing. These were always accompanied by the feeling of presence and felt like a hand pushing me downwards. The pressure would start increasing dramatically and the feeling of presence would start to take on an angry sort of seething feel to it. I found that if I sat or knelt down the presence would seem to calm and the pressure on my head or shoulder would abate. It would start up again if I tried to get up too soon. I found that if I waited a good half hour or so it would be okay to get back up. I didn't understand at the time, but on reflection I think that it may have been a display of dominance of some sort.

When I was sixteen I had a development in my personal life (which took place away from my house). Early the next morning (at home) I awoke and found myself basically held down hard (there was no one in my room of course). I felt the presence and it felt enraged. I got an intense pressure squeezing my throat and couldn't breathe. I was in a complete panic and struggled like mad but couldn't free myself. I think I was close to passing out when the pressure just let go and I got a hard slap to the face. The next day there was a visible red mark on my face.

This was by far the most violent attack I had experienced at that point and I am certain that it was motivated by jealousy or similar. It's hard to describe the rage that I felt around me during the attack. The presence was just so angry with me, it felt like it hated me with such intensity.

My parents saw the mark and quizzed me about it. I again made the mistake of telling them the truth and again was not believed and punished severely for it.

Incidents didn't seem to follow any particular cycle but the frequency would vary widely. Sometimes I would have multiple incidents in a short space of time. Other times I would go a number of weeks without anything at all happening.

When I was seventeen I went to university and lived in the halls. The incidents continued (although they seemed generally less frequent). This proved to me that the presence was most definitely linked to me rather than to my house.

In my second year I made the mistake of allowing another "development in my personal life". This took place several miles from the halls (I would never have let it happen in my room with everything that was happening). The night after (in my room in the halls) I was again attacked by being pinned and strangled. I swore right off personal life developments. For the next week or two incidents became frequent but then began to taper off again.

The older I got the more things dropped off. The last incident would have been when I was about 23 or 24. I am 27 now. I have been in a relationship for nearly a year now and even this hasn't prompted a jealousy attack so I think that whatever the presence is, I am probably free of it.

I have been researching lately and am unclear as to what the nature of the presence was. I speculated that it may have been a poltergeist which I understand to be an internally generated thing rather than a spirit. Things started at the right age for this. However, some events such as the bite and the whispering do not track with this theory.

I never saw an apparition or anything that would approximate one. At this point I believe that most likely the presence was a spirit/ghost that for some reason took an interest in me and latched on to me. I do not know why it eventually left me alone. Did it "move on" to some "other side"? Did it just get bored? I really don't know.

If anyone can offer further insight I would be very grateful as I would like to properly understand all of this as it had such an impact on my life for so long. If there is any danger of it coming back later in life, I would be so so thankful for good, sound advice on some way of preventing it.

Please post my account, I would really like to get some help understanding what has happened.

-Emma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Emma_girl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Noodle (5 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Emma. First of all I'd like to say that I admire your courage and fortitude; It must have been incredibly scary and confusing for you going through all of this without support.

Without getting too personal, I can take a good guess as to what the omitted parts might relate to but I still can't help thinking along the same lines as Mazzmarach with this.

As a fellow NZer of the same age, I've known parents like yours and get the feeling they we're well-meaning but very strict (religious?) and didn't understand the impact their attitudes could have on you. I apologise if this is too personal but I wonder whether a certain event for a young woman first occurred around 14? And that maybe that sort of thing was seen as unclean or maybe just kept hidden and secret in your household? Could that have possibly been the catalyst for the things that started happening?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
History of the Home, History of the area?

This went on for 9-10 YEARS (between the ages of 14 and 23/24) and you have kindly left out some details that would place this in YGS's 'We no longer except those kinds of stories'.

That makes it difficult to comment on your experience... However I will say this... It sounds as if a Spirit developed an attachment to YOU, one that over time grew into something physical and this spirit was both Jealous and Domineering. It also seems to have had certain requirements (age range, personal attitude)...ect and as soon as you no longer met them it moved on because it had no more interest in you.

Need more History...Family, Location, Events.

Respectively.

Rook
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Have to say clever use of euphemism if I'm understanding this right.

I don't think I've read a story here about anything that persistent. Personally I don't think I would have handled it all so well but then again I'm paranormal phobic: very interested but do my best not to encounter it myself:)

Can I ask if you are still in Auckland? I'm in Wellington. My work takes me to Auckland two or three times a year. If you would like to meet to discuss next time I'm up that way I'm more than happy to meet in person. Completely up to you no pressure.

Your parents sound like they go in for the "spare the rod spoil the child" types if you don't mind me saying. Can I ask if you were raised in a very religious household and if so did you share the same type and degree of belief? Obviously you don't have to answer I get this is pretty personal.

I was thinking that it might be worth drawing a graphical timeline of the changes in the paranormal happenings that you experienced alongside a parallel timeline of any significant changes or incidents with your relationship with your parents. I might be following the wrong trail here but I'm wondering if peaks and troughs might match up?
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Emma_girl. Thanks for sharing. Reading your earlier posts, I gathered your parents were (are) brutal,unkind, narrow-minded, fearful people who feel that beating children is the "answer"?

If that is the case, I imagine the atmosphere in your household was one of fear, anger and general "blurgh" (I may have just made that word up)

Therefore, it's highly likely that atmosphere would attract low-level (brutal,unkind, narrow-minded, fearful etc) spirits who felt a kin-ship to your parents. Therefore, it's high;y possible that one of these vile souls found an attraction to you. To me spirits are simply people without a body, expressing themselves in the spirit realm, which is all around us, largely unseen.

Many poltergeist cases appear to be linked to children undergoing puberty, which appears to give off a lot of powerful energy which negative spirits feed off and become increasingly stronger. They may also feed off the fear created by their presence. Vicious cycle.

Some people believe that poltergeists are created purely by humans own rampant emotional kinetic energy, but I believe poltergeists are low-level spirits that are able to use / take advantage of certain individuals in certain situations to manifest, then wreak their havoc.

This particular unpleasant individual appears to taken extreme offence at your burgeoning sexuality, either in fits of violent, jealous rages or driven by their own pure disgust self/loathing.

This particular individual may have also been attached to your parents and was influencing them in a negative manner.

Anyway, I'm speculating here but hopefully I have been of some help to you? It's great that you appear free of it and I hope that your new-found happiness continues.

Regards

Mack
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
Emma_girl,
There is something called poltergeist stigmata, and is well documented in the case of Eleonore Zugun, a Romanian girl in 1926. This type of poltergeist activity does include many of the things you mentioned, including bites, scratches, touches. This article contains her story and many details http://theunexplainedmysteries.com/Eleonore-Zugun.html
In some poltergeist activities voices and whisperings are reported as well. There's an interesting collection of famous cases here: https://littlespyeye.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/famous-poltergeist-cases-in-history-part-1/
Hopefully, these will be of some help to you.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
I know that this is a personal question, but how were your feelings toward yourself growing up? You mentioned poltergeist activity, and that does coincide with your age based on material I've read. Do you feel the same about yourself now, or do you feel better? I'm fairly new to this site and to the paranormal in general, so please correct me if I'm wrong about poltergeists and adolescence.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
Emma_girl - just a stray thought that probably is going to prove fruitless, but did anyone you knew die around the time this all began? It doesn't even have to be someone you cared about, but could even be a classmate or friend of a friend you may not have known well. I know I'm reaching here, but I'd like to rule that out before the comments head in another direction.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
Not that I owe any explanation, but I published this because the o/p very clearly read the rules and modified her experience to try and fit our guidelines. So please keep comments as PG-13 as possible so we don't have to have the comments section closed on this story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: