You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sounds And Footsteps

Real Ghost Stories

Sounds And Footsteps

 

About a year ago my husband and I purchased a house in a small town. The owner before had passed away in the bedroom of the home at an elderly age about a year prior to us purchasing. At the time, my husband and I did not know that the old man had passed away inside of the house.

Anyways, there was one story to the house, but it had an attic which had been sealed shut for many years. The attic entry was in a second bedroom but was an overhead latch, which means there was no way of entering without a ladder. Keep in mind that the attic was above only parts of the house, as the main bedroom (we stay in) had later been an addition to the house.

My husband was out of town for a few days, and it was my first night in the house alone. I had other encounters of paranormal experiences, and had felt an odd energy in the home, but I had to stay there. I made it through the night without any problems, until the morning. Around 6:00 am I was still faintly asleep. I began to hear loud pounding coming from somewhere, and loud music playing. I shook it off thinking it must be the neighbors, since I could practically touch their house while standing in mine.

The next night I went to sleep as usual, and woke up about 6:01 with the same music playing and the same pounding noise. I exited my bedroom and stood in the living room, in which the attic was straight above. I could hear running in the attic and the music seemed to be playing up there as well.

I told my husband about this encounter and he thought I was crazy. Until it was his turn to stay the night by himself. I came home the day after he had been home alone, to find a large sledge hammer and hand gun sitting by the bed. I laughed as I began to ask him why those were there. He responded with, "I heard the same noise you had." Needless to say, he believed me after experiencing it himself.

About two weeks later, I ran into a neighbor and had learned that at one point in time this house had housed 9 people in a family. Being as the house was a one bedroom and a kitchen, the attic had served as the bedroom and playroom for 7 children to share. None of them had passed away in attic, but I can only imagine that it served as their whole life. After many nights of waking up to running, it soon faded away as my husband and I began to remodel the home and make it our own.

We are still visited by the many other spirits, such as the elderly man who will turn off the oven if we have left the house with it on.

I do not mind having a spirit guarding me, but how do you know if there is another that may not be of good intentions? What do you do?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chimer147, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-25)
chimer147

Unless you have had a problem with a spirit that doesn't have good intentions don't worry about it. Or you could use Rookdygins cleansing method if you get the feeling you need it. It's on his profile page. It will get rid of malevolent spirits but won't bother good spirits. I don't think you should worry about it though with the old man protecting HIS house.
Just so you know you should ALWAYS ask if someone died in the house, some states have laws requiring this disclosure.
In N.Y. There is an old law on the books, I have checked and it's still a law. You HAVE to tell potential buyers that your house is haunted. I asked my sister if she told the person who bought the house thar it is haunted and her response shocked me. She told me to prove it, after all the stories she told me about the house and things my son has witnessed she had the gall to say that to me.

Regards
Red
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Interesting experiences. I'm guessing since you have been remodeling you have opened the attic up and have already inspected it. 7 children in one space, holy cow!... It must be good sized and lots of valuable living space!

It sounds to me like the attic noise was a residual haunting, just my opinion, a replay of good times gone by lol. I have had two experiences of residual in my own home so I know it can happen only just a few times. Since it is gone now I wouldn't worry about it. Just curious though, could you place the year the music was from?

As for the other spirits, the old man (assume you have seen him since you know he is an old man) sounds like he is looking after you, that is a blessing. But, what has happened to make you ask about possibly one with not so good intentions? Are things happening that are making you feel threatened?

Thanks for sharing.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
DandK, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. It's a pretty scary concept, at least it scares me to bits!

Chimer, the fact it only happened when either of you were alone makes this a very chilling possibility. Is there any way of finding out one way or the other? Perhaps go up there and look for signs of squatters?
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Chimer147, have you gone up into the attic yet?
There are many instances in the news of people secretly living in people's attics and attic crawl spaces. A few years ago a man was caught after living for a year in someone's attic crawl space in Japan. He would come out when people were gone or sleeping and eat their food. That's actually how he finally got caught.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: