You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Came Towards Us?

Real Ghost Stories

What Came Towards Us?

 

So this is my first story that I post here. I have been reading stories here for about 2 years now, and decided that it's time to tell mine.

So this happened to me and my friend J when we were younger, maybe 10 years ago. We lived close to each other in a smallish neighbourhood and we used to spend time everyday either her house or mine.

One evening in winter (it gets very dark in here at winter, there is daylight only like 4-6 hours a day) we were hanging out at J's house, and about 7pm I had to go home. She said that she'll walk me halfway home because it's so dark.

So we were walking and talking about what should we do at weekend, when I suddenly noticed something coming towards us next to the road in a ditch. There were only moonlight and some street lamps shining some light.

I stopped and asked J what is that. She looked and we both got scared and started running back to J's house, because it was only 100 meters away. So when we got back at J's yard we started talking and wondering what it was.

We both saw something like a huge black dog, but it didn't make any sound. And it was strange that even though the moonlight was shining straight down and there was no big trees or anything that could block the light, the dog's fur did not shine or anything when the moonlight touched it. It was all just black. And when we started running we saw that it crossed the asphalt road running, and still no sound at all, even though it was very big. And when you walk a normal dog, when you walk on asphalt, the dogs nails make a sound.

It was not a normal dog, that I am sure about. We still wonder sometimes what could it have been...

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or seen similar thing?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, offroad, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

offroad (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-14)
So my answer comes a bit late... I haven't been able to find time to come here for awhile.
Thank you all for your answers:)
Hemie, sorry I can't really describe it better than I already described it... We saw just a climpse and we started running and it ran also... It really was just like big black shadowy like dog. I did not see any eyeshine or anything, just black figure of a dog. I recently found a story about this black shuck and maybe it was something like that. And I don't think it was a hell hound either:D
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-08)
Oh my.

You would be correct about my misuse of a common turn of phrase. It's not an American version, more a human error version. But I think somebody already knew this, right?. *nudge nudge* Semantics isn't very becoming now, is it. *wink wink*

As for ghastly k9 beings from beyond, they're probably all interconnected and perhaps historic records are merely rehashing similar or the same entities.
Ginsune (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-07)
[at] Tweed - I've heard of tongue in cheek, is "tongue & cheek" the American version? Err...

As for thinking outside the box...

Kirkonväki, Church Grims, existed long before "Black Shuck" ever came to haunt the English countryside. I am using the Finnish stylized version but the original concept of Church Grims was Swedish and is many, many centuries old. It ties with a cultural belief that existed long before Christianity of any sort touched Swedish soil.

You may call it a "Black Shuck" if you desire. However, calling every black silent-as-the-grave dog a "Black Shuck" is about as accurate as me saying every white person is Catholic the world over. There are similar creatures in other countries tied with witches & the devil, there are similar spectral dogs that will attack unwary travelers. Are they all "Black Shucks"? Of course not. In England the Bargest has been routinely confused for a "Black Shuck" because back in the day the average person was lucky they could sign their name yet alone recount more than it was dark & creepy.

As it is, given as we've found skeletons of large dogs buried around church grounds in England, the Kirkonväki gave "birth" to the Black Shuck legends. Kirkonväki were, after all, created by burying a dog (and more rarely a man) alive to attend the Church for all time. Almost all of the legit "Black Shuck" legends are around Churches after all. Some of those Churches still stand - others are just ruins.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-07)
Ginsune, just read your comment and realised you addressed some of it to me. Well, umm yeah, I'm sarcastic and my write up about hell hounds was entirely tongue and cheek, with intent to make a couple other posters think outside the square before crying demon, I mean wolf.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-07)
Unexplained, that's what I was thinking! Except I didn't know the name 'Black Shuck' so didn't search for it. I just read a Wikipedia article on 'Black Shuck' and looky here at this sentence regarding folklore of the ghostly woofy:

"By contrast, in other tales the animal is regarded as relatively benign and said to accompany women on their way home in the role of protector rather than a portent of ill omen."

All I have to say is 'Far out!' and 'Cool!' 😁
Ginsune (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-07)
Offroad - I am surprised at your command of the English language; most Finns I know have issues, tripping themselves up over certain aspects like grammar & verbiage.

As it is though, the Black Shuck of England doesn't exist in Finland. So what Offroad saw was most likely a Kirkonväki. It is a guardian of sorts & they were once employed to protect buildings from evil be it spirit or people up to no good.

[at] Tweed. I take the dub "hell hound" with a grain of salt. Fear born superstition. After all, I do not believe there has ever been a tale of a "hell hound" actually attacking someone. Death, if it happens, is oftentimes attributed to the fact the person is "scared to death".

And if they really were from hell or the devil's servants why don't they tear us mortals limb from limb when we encounter them? All the old legends of literal "hell hounds" - the three-headed puppy that Hercules encountered - see mortals as something like tasty treats. Or why not drive us insane or to extreme acts [murder, etc.] as many demons are said to do?

However, look at it this way.

A guardian spirit can't very well put a neon sign above its head saying "do not trespass". So a guardian spirit does as it would have while alive. The first act of a living guard dog is, after all, typically to scare a trespasser "out of dodge".

Kirkonväki are considered "hell hounds" by some. Comical as Kirkonväki, known as Church Grims, were crafted to protect Christian churches.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-07)
Sounds like the Finnish equivalent of "The Black Shuck" or "Shuckie". He's been seen a lot over the centuries in East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk & Cambridgeshire, UK), so maybe you guys have an equivalent in Finland.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-04)
Offroad,

What you saw could be a good ol' haunting of a dog whom may have used to guard that area. And continues to guard.

Spiritwaiting
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
2nd191st - I have found that even when I try to be nonconfrontational, I come across that way. But when I am trying to be less than polite, I am misunderstood lol
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
Miracles, that's pretty much what I was thinking:) I was trying to find a non confrontational way of pitching the notion
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
2nd1st - it would be interesting to see how many sightings of a hell hound appeared after they were featured in Supernatural.
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
OP, could you describe the dog further? Other than not hearing it's nails, were there any other characteristics that caused you to consider it to be paranormal in nature?

Also re some of the other posts- other than the op referring to a dog that may be paranormal in nature, what is the basis for postulating that it is a "hell hound"?

I would take the term "hell hound" to refer to a dog like being literally from a literal hell? Leaving aside the question of whether or not a hell type place exists, (Cerberus and similar old myths aside) is anyone aware of a situation of a potentially paranormal dog that could to any degree of reliability be claimed to have literally originated from a literal hell?
Not meaning this to sound confrontational, just worried that conclusions are being jumped to based on very very little information.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
Hemie, RedBlackRosemama, anyone else...

According to Wikipedia (so not reliable, then) the hellhound, in all it's mysterious guises throughout history and cultures the world over, represents *get ready for it* death.
According to the article, the only encounters mentioned detail large dogs walking at night, in or around graveyards, forests, lonely roads. They appear to observe people, things, whatever from a distance or up close.

Apart from some claiming they come from hell and are servants to devil himself, no one ever mentioned being attacked by one. Sooo, given that hygiene and medical treatment wasn't the best throughout history, maybe those who passed after encountering a hellhound were going to pass anyway, regardless.

Something to mull over.
Hemie (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
It sound like a hell hound. They are supposed to have red eyes, did you happen to see the color? There are many stories of hell hounds if you look on line. Are you able to describe this dog in better detail? 😕
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-29)
Hi Offroad, and welcome.

There are a number of encounters on here with large black dogs like you describe. In some cultures they're known as land spirits, protective in nature, good guys despite looking scary.
I've err had dealings with protective dog spirits, one of which resembles what you describe. Based on my experiences they ward off negativity. Going by all the encounters I've read about them on here, they never attack anyone innocent and mostly just observe people.
I know gholstly large scary dogs are terrifying, but I don't believe it was there to harm you, quite the opposite. 😊
RedBlackRosemama (34 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-28)
Sound like a hellhound (Devil dog) to me my ex friend has experience about that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: