You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Protecting My Grandfather

Real Ghost Stories

Protecting My Grandfather

 

This is the first time I can ever recall having a paranormal experience. I was 12 years old and my mother sent me to live with my grandmother in Guayama, Puerto Rico while she tied up some loose ends in Florida, to later make the move herself.

I was sent from Florida in the 6th grade 2002-2003 School year, to live on top of a mountain in the middle of a jungle with my very strict and religious grandmother, her youngest daughter (my, at the time, 17 year old aunt), and my great grandfather who was bedridden and cared for by my grandmother. I got along great with my aunt who was more like a cousin to me.

I was originally going to move to the city of Carolina with my Aunt/Godmother but she only had sons. So while my older brother got to live with my aunt in the city and its amenities I ended up in the jungle with my grandmother because it wasn't proper for me to be in a house full of boys! (Though they were my COUSINS who I adored. No one argues with Grandma and her old fashioned ways unless you wanted a huge cooking ladle flying straight toward you!)

For some background, I had heard stories about my grandmother and the various paranormal experiences she has had in the past. My grandmother is a very old fashioned Catholic woman. I have always heard that the deeper into religion, prayer, faith etc that a person is the more they are "tested." She had a total of 10 children though she miscarried her 9th late in the pregnancy. She and her younger brood use to live in an old priest's home by the church, and the ghosts of the priests still climbed the stairs and went about the house as though they lived there! She regarded them for what they were, and never feared the dead. If something strange occurred or someone was ill she took to her rosaries.

My great grandfather was bed ridden and had a touch of dementia. The only person he really recognized anymore was "Igna" short for Ignacia, my grandmother. She took excellent care of him and he lay in bed keeping cool with his little fan all day looking out of his window or listening to an old radio station.

My grandmother rarely went in to town except when she needed to buy things that she didn't have on her small farm, rice, grandpa's medications, etc. On these days my aunt would look after my grandfather or on rare occasion, I would.

One day, my grandmother left to the pueblo (city) to get her things and asked me to feed grandpa his pureed vegetables and make sure to go to him if he called. My grandfather was a riot! In his younger days he was a bit of a ladies man. As he got older, he found God and became a church going man. In his last years dementia settled in and though he was restricted to his bed all day, he wasn't always there... At least, not in his head. There were times where he would whisper to me, "Young girl, please get these ladies out of my bed! I am an old man and I can no longer perform!" I felt so bad for him! He looked so ashamed! So hiding my smile of course, I would shoo the "ladies" away...

This day though, I heard him calling, "Iggggnnnaaaaaaaa!" I went in to the room, and he eyed me suspiciously and said, "Who are you?" I told him, "I am your great grand-daughter! Igna is my grandmother, don't you see the resemblance?" I was always told by older family members how much I resembled my grandmother. I was a little gruff with him because I knew how stubborn he could be with my grandmother. So I said, "It's time to eat abuelo (grandfather), drink this for me." He gave me another curious look but he obliged. He lay there watching me as he drank, as though he was considering something in his head.

After he finished, I wiped his mouth clean and adjusted his pillow and sheets around his gnarled limbs. I said, "Okay abuelo, get some rest..." but as I turned to leave he GRABBED my wrist. It was crazy because here was this weak old man, who reached out so quickly to keep me where I was! I looked at him and in that instant I knew he was afraid. His eyes were pleading with me. He whispered to me, "The devil is standing in that corner!" He looked ever so slightly over my shoulder. "Please, don't let him hurt me!" Now, this alone scared the crap out of me! I wasn't going to tell him he was a crazy old man of course; his face was so sincere! Who knows what it was that his eyes were seeing... I slowly turned around and THANK GOD, there was nothing standing in the corner. Even so, I spoke very boldly and I said, "Devil, GET OUT of here! My grandfather is a man of God and you have no business here! You let him rest now and BE GONE!" I turned back to my grandfather and reassured him all was well now and that the devil had gone and only then did he let go of my wrist and let me leave the room.

About a week or two later I would see what it was that I challenged that day... The house we lived in was built by my grandfather and the main bedrooms were located to the left of the house. If you came in through the front double doors and made an immediate left, there was the hallway entrance. Then there was a door for mine and my aunt's room, further down was the door to my grandfather's room, and the last room was my grandmother's, followed by the bathroom at the very end of the hall with another exit/entrance to the hallway that lead into the dining area.

It was early evening and my aunt and grandmother were watching novelas in the living room. I wrapped my towel around me and walked out of my room, closed the door behind me, and looked up to make my way to the other end of the hall to take a shower. Immediately, I froze. There in front of my grandfather's door, also appearing to be startled by ME was a shadow figure. It appeared to be solid black shadow. This creature was approximately 4 ft tall with long scraggly hair that went to approximately its elbows. It held a cane and seemed to have a bit of a hunchback. There were no discernible facial features as it seemed to be made of darkness. I knew though, that this thing was not a good thing. This thing was scary and foreboding and evil and I knew it did not belong there in the hallway or inside my grandfather's room, which seemed to be its destination.

I stared at it for a beat, terrified, then turned right around and flew out of the hallway into the living room where my grandmother was! I told her and my aunt that there was something in the hallway! I described it to her and, being who she was, she believed me. She immediately got up, found her rosary and prayed probably for the rest of the evening well into the morning. She was praying mostly in my grandfather's room, praying for his protection and for ours as well. The thing was nowhere to be found and not seen again.

Looking back, I feel like I might have challenged this thing when I told, who I thought was no one, to leave my grandfather's room that day. Maybe that is why it appeared to me. Maybe it was challenging me back! I don't know. That may not be the case because it seemed as though it was walking into my grandfather's room and I kind of caught it in the act, and it froze upon seeing me there as well. I don't know... I saw one more entity before leaving that house altogether but that's another story. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by PunkysMama

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PunkysMama, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-09)
MysticFrance,

Thank you for your kind words and I am glad you enjoyed the read! It wasn't so great for me when it happened 😭 but a great story to tell now about my very first paranormal experience!

Thank you for reading! 😊
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Nice story. Thanks for sharing this. It gave me goosebumps, during the part when you actually saw the shadow. Well-written! How I wish I could write English this good. Haha.
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Hello Tweed,

Your comments made me giggle a little. You are the kind of person who writes as they speak I believe. You write as though you are having an in-person conversation with me haha. I like it! 😉

I read the story your were referring to on dementia and the applicable comment and he or she stated that the patients would be looking at the top right corner of the room, the ceiling is what I got. My great grandfather was gesturing to the right hand side of the room in reference to his position in bed, but towards the doorway on the ground not the ceiling. And on most days if I walked by and peered in at him he would be gazing out his window to his far left at the jungle shrubbery. I guess the world will never really know how far 'touched' he was with his dementia vs. Possible paranormal experiences.

I have always thought that older folks are much like children in a lot of ways, not to be disrespectful or condescending to the elderly. But, I feel like they lose some of their faculties, and therefore some of their mental walls come down and they revert back in some ways to a childhood-esque mental state. Because of this, they may once again become more susceptible to paranormal occurrences.

I surely hope nothing of the "Wendingo" sort or Succubus was taking advantage of him when he was asking me to get the women out of his bed, hopppeeffulllyyy this was his memories and dementia mixing up in his head. Though in human form and paranormal it makes sense that evil would prey on the defenseless. 😭

Thank you for your thought provoking comment. I love your insight!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
ahhh! I got so caught up in locating old comments and stuff I didn't even read Manafon's first comment! YES of course it could have been a well intended nature spirit! Oh man, I really should have shut up with all my doom and gloom! 😐 Oh well, maybe the way the entity felt wrong and bad to you, was saying something about it's intentions. Hope not, I like the nature spirit angle more!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Hi Punkys,

Wow, what an experience! Bless you for taking care of your Grandfather as you did. 😊
I often wonder with mental illness such as dementia, how much of it could be paranormal. What your Grandfather described about seeing the devil in the corner of the room reminded me of something a member here called Dreamer said once. She's a hospital worker, not sure what she does but anyway, she talked... Hang on I'll see if I can locate the comment.

I was wrong, she works in aged care, but used to work in a hospital. Anyway, she observed that people with dementia always look to the right hand corner of the room. So I'm interested if 'the devil' he was pointing to was in the right (his right) hand corner.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=16731
(Dreamer's dementia comment is the last comment of that submission)

Also was the dark figure kind of scrawny? I remember Rook and Biblio talking about an entity on another person's experience. But I don't recall the name of the entity, anyway apparently there's a rather sexualised entity which is typically scrawny with scraggly hair. Since your Grandfather was reffering to women in his bed which he couldn't keep up with, I wondered if one of these entities was hassling him. 😢 That's really not a nice thought. You did the BEST thing yelling at it in my opinion. Even if you thought you were yelling at nothing! The entity was probably afraid of you when it was startled you'd come up the stairs!

Just located their comments on the other experience and 'Wendigo' is the name of the entity Rook and Biblio were talking about. I felt this experience was a thought form or poltergeist because of the OP's culture. But the Wendigo theory seems pretty likely too, and it could be what was going on for your poor Grandfather. I'm so happy you yelled at it!
Here's the other experience if you're interested.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22165
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Hello Manafon1,

I am glad you enjoyed my story! 😳 I have always wanted to be a writer but when I read my own writing it never seems good enough! Thank you for your kind words.

As far as a nature spirit, I have never thought of that. I never really heard much of nature entities until reading the stories and comments here on YGS.

To me though, this thing just wasn't right. I was scared, which in my other stories you will see whether it was evil feeling or not I ALWAYS get scared 😨. BUT this one felt wrong and I felt that its intentions were not good.

I don't know what nature spirits are known for, if they are malicious or just beings that are present in some areas neither malicious or beneficial but simply exist?

As for local lore, I find that many Puerto Ricans from the island have a story to tell about their deceased family members coming to see them or strange sightings in the jungles. I don't know if that is because the population is primarily Catholic and religion and spirituality seems to be very present in most people's lives from a very young age. (Whether they want to go to church or not, you didn't make that choice until you were an adult)

Perhaps the island itself is filled with Nature spirits, it's surrounded by water, who knows... I don't know of any specific folklore myself though...

Thank you for your insight though, it is something I will research! 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Hi PunkysMama--Your story was very engrossing and well written. Whatever it was it is interesting to ponder its awareness of you and that it appeared to be as startled as you were of it.

Your description of this small, cane wielding, hunchbacked entity seems to suggest it could be some kind of nature spirit. Are there local traditions or folklore in that part of Puerto Rico that speak of such a creature who appears near the end of a persons life (by this I mean your great grandfather)? Thanks for sharing your intriguing story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: