You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Something by the Dock on Canada Day

Real Ghost Stories

Something by the Dock on Canada Day

 

Over the summer, my cousin Louise and her father, my cousin Jack and his father, and me and my father went on a fishing trip to Canada. It was Canada Day while we were there, which is july 1st. There were a lot of fireworks and we all decided to go onto our dock and watch. This particular night was very clear and cold.

The fireworks were having the grand finale when all of us thought we heard something on the other dock. It sounded as if someone had just cast their line into the water. Of course, all the dads acted as if they never heard anything, but we knew they did because when it happened everyone went silent to see what it was. All of the kids got together and asked each other if we had heard the splash. We all heard it! Then all of a sudden a fish started splashing franticly. It was at the top of the surface and moving towards the opposite dock! Very much like someone was pulling it in! Along with the fish splashing, there was a sort of cranking noise. We looked over to the opposite dock and there was no one there! We were stunned!

The dads started yelling over trying to see if someone was actually there we couldn't see. There was no answer. We all hurried of the dock and ran back to the cabin. After everyone had settled down a bit, we decided to go to the main house. The house was far away up a hill. We were all really scared to go up there, but we had to tell them something. We all started our journey to the main house. We were practically running because we were so scared. We just kept our eyes in front of us hoping there would be nothing like what we heard on the dock.

When we got to the main house, we told them about what we had heard on the dock. They said that people had told them that they heard similar things. Then Tinker, the owner of where we were staying, said he had heard the same thing himself. Most of the time people told them about what they had heard was on July 1st, around the same time of day.

The email address that was submitted with this story was invalid and we could not reach the author. If you are the author, please write us back so we can correct this information.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, edie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
I have got to agree with Mustang on this one, if it is the same date, time every year, it would have to be a residual haunting. But then I agree with Shane, Annie, FRAWIN, and KimSouthO too. There is just something... Like hearing the fish and the reeling over the sounds of a fireworks grand finale. That all overshadows the residual haunting a bit. Thanks for the smiles though.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
...I'm not sure a thrashing fish near a crowded dock during a fireworks display suggests a haunted sportsman.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
Wow, that was an interesting story, and I must say that I have never heard of one like that.
GhostTalker13 (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
This a story that sounds fake because it's a fisherman story. Usually stories like this are just made up because of the same climax. The plot is the same as others. This is a fishy story and the author is just a sad little fisherman still waiting for a catch. 😉
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Ahh...Martin, You're too kind! 😁 Guess the author of this fish tail isn't biting either!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
Annie, no need to be sorry, I count on you guys to be critical when I maybe should have been a little more, I am not an expert. Who knows. I still think it's hard to tell, so I'm lucky to have you guys around. I wish the author would give some feedback.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
I was sitting here debaiting whether to post again or not. Although I did enjoy the fish tail, it dawned on me that the most horrific part of the story is that we don`t know if the fish got away.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
OOOH, tales of a ghostly fisherman! I have heard stories of them. If it happens at the same time, on the same day every year, then maybe it is a residual haunting. Maybe the ghostly fisherman left such an impression there because that was his favorite spot and fishing was his favorite thing to do. Or, like Shane said, it could have been somebody pulling a prank on you. Also, how could you hear all of that noise from the opposite dock if you all were watching the grand finale of a firework show? That's pretty noisy! Thanks for sharing your 'Fish Tale'! 😊~Shelby ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-21)
hmmmm... Urban legend, maybe? Sems like the same type of fish dtory I have on occasion.

God Bless!
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Oh, the halibut! I guess we could carp on and on about this tale. I thought I smelt something fishy with this one. 😆 It's truly giving me one big haddock. Was the posters name...Fin? I'm...reeling with laughter.

Sorry, Martin!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
I wait with baited breath the response of the author. Hopefully he wasn't just trolling for attention. I really don't know what the lure of this story is. 😆 Sorry Edie still not believable, but it is going to make a lot of people laugh.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Ahh...FRAWIN and Shane, you both have said it all! 😆 What could I possibly add? Well except, I think that edie has opened a can of worms, and I'm just reeling! I'm not falling for this one, hook, line and sinker!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Well what can I say, everybody loves a good fish story. I did like the story but I`m like Shane, I`m not biting.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Sounds like one of two things. One, some one was pulling a fast one on you, or two, you have a very active imagination and are trying to get one over on us. Either way this one is a little fishy. 😆

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: