You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Fontana - Southridge

Real Ghost Stories

Fontana - Southridge

 

My mom bought a house on the corner of Woodcrest Drive. My brother, my sister, my brother-in-law and I have all had unexplained happenings unfold in that house.

The one experience that is most prominent in my mind actually occurred to my brother. His name is "D". "D" specifically recalls seeing a gnome in one of the bedrooms circa 1994!

He told me that one day, in the early morning hours, he woke up from sleep. He laid there in bed and recalls it being eerily quiet and, just then, it felt as if someone (something) was staring at him! He turned to look towards the doorway of the room. His eyes quickly focused on this creature that was no higher than the adjacent electrical outlet. He recalls that the creature was wearing a weird, dirty sport coat. He also recalls that it had on one of those old boat hats on, similar to that of a Leprechaun. And most vividly... Was the sinister, overly-exaggerated smile it possessed!

My brother's natural reaction was dictated by the intense surge of fear that ran through his body! He quickly sought security under his blankets and turned to face away from this thing! He did try to rationalize to see if whether or not what he saw was actually, physically there. He said it took all his will and might, to turn his attention back towards the doorway--and there it was again! Motionless. Sitting perfectly still, and with the same sinister smile!

The night carried on and the sun's ray did make it to his bedroom eventually. It was only then that he made an attempt to find this creature - it was nowhere to be found.

My brother ended up tucked under his blanket, unbelievably frightened, until the next morning! Neither of us have any idea as to what it was that he saw. I've heard folklore of gnomes and, the more I think about it, that's kind of what it sounds like.

In this same house, I myself would often hear footsteps upstairs as if someone were walking... Yet, I'd be the only one in the house! I would fall asleep on the couch in the living room, only to be awakened by a loud, muffled clap right next to my head! (Kinda like open-hand slapping the cushions of a couch.)

Presently, the occupants of that house also experience paranormal activity! I, too, am curious as to the history of South Ridge (Fontana, CA). Don't know if public records were properly kept for that area.

Thank you for reading!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Allforone702, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Interestingly, I decided to do a bit of a google on the area and, evidently, there has traditionally been a large Slavic immigrant population... That might explain the presence of entities that seem a bit 'out of place'. I know little about Slavic mythology but perhaps something in it might feature a wee gnome like figure.

There are also quite a few ghost stories - some better researched than others - reported in the area, perhaps if one is very near to you, there might be some connection with your experience.

Another article pointed to KKK activity - anything that causes such charged emotions, anger and fear can lead to activity as well. Though, I don't think the gnome would necessarily be connected.

Here are some of the links I found:
Http://www.insidetheie.com/fontana-myths
Http://www.hauntedplaces.org/fontana-ca/
Https://thegritz.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/kkk-and-fontana/
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
😁 😁 😁
A gnome! Golly, in the early 90s, I used to look everywhere around the house, back yard, front yard, absolutely everywhere in hopes of finding a gnome! I would have given absolutely anything to see one - even my radio flyer wagon! Granted... The evil grinned variety you described wasn't exactly what I had in mind on those hopeful hunts... More the rosey cheeked button nosed variety that hangs out with a friendly fox - 'David the Gnome' was my all time favorite show;)
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-10)
hahaha Mazzmarach, I really hope that garden gnome idea is true, because that would be sooo funny! 😆
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-09)
Ahoy, Allforone.

Looks like Tweed beat me to it. That might've been a Tomten; a kind of house spirit, similar to brownies and hobgoblins.

Onto the more mundane...

Did you normally sleep with your bedroom doors propped open? I understand some households are like that. If that's the case with your family, someone might've used an old, dirty, creepy lawn gnome to prop open your brother's door and decided to take it away when they saw how terrified he was. I could be wrong, of course.

Smooth sailing,
Mazz
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Allforone, very interesting story! Was that the only time that anyone saw the gnome?

There is another gnome story you should check out by Tweed:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22478
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
Hi Allforone,

😁 <-- That was me while reading your brother's encounter!

Are there any Scandinavian roots in your family? The description of the gnome, and the fact it was in your house suggests it was of the 'Tomten' variety (Hi Manafon)...Yeup, deffo look into those creatures. A few of us here have a big time fascination with 'nature spirits', gnomes etc, so he's not alone in his encounter. The creepy smile is a bit baffling, I wonder could this have been misinterpreted from the sheer bizarreness of the moment?

As the footsteps and clapping caper were only experienced in this house, I'd assume it was a former resident.

Thanks for sharing.😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: