You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Kitchen Shadow Man

Real Ghost Stories

Kitchen Shadow Man

 

I believe this next occurrence happened in 2011. It was night-time and I was home alone. Being home alone was something I had come to dread. Especially after dark. I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Both of my daughters refused to stay in the house alone.

That night my husband was at work. He works 2nd shift so he would get home about midnight. The rest of the family was out doing their own thing.

Whenever I was home alone I made sure to keep busy that way my mind would be occupied. I couldn't just sit and watch TV. Thinking about doing that would bring to mind the phrase, 'sitting duck'.

I was in the kitchen washing dishes. Both my dogs, a basset hound and a lab, my buddies, were asleep on the dining room floor.

I heard them rouse and figured they were ready to go outside. I turned to see both of them coming towards me, heads lowered, tails between their legs. As I was turning back towards the sink to grab a towel to dry my hands I saw him out of the corner of my eye. Shadow Man. He was standing across the room in a corner that is between the living room door and laundry room door. I turned to fully face him but he was gone.

I told myself this was not going to freak me out. It was no big deal. Been there done that before. Just calm down. So I turned back to the sink forgetting I had planned to take the dogs out. They didn't seem to mind. They had taken a place on either side of me, facing the wall across the room.

They kept sitting there making it difficult for me to move even an inch. My basset was growling very softly. My lab is mute so he was making his little whimper sound. I could tell they were both upset. So I walked over to the refrigerator freezer which is between that corner and the sink. I took a quick glance at the corner, nothing there. I got some ice out for the dogs. That's one of their favorite treats. When they saw what I had they eagerly came to me and sat in front of the refrigerator. We played catch for a while. I would have them sit then throw each of them an ice cube. I was trying to calm them down but also trying to not lose my stuff.

At one point an ice cube bounced off a nose and slid into the laundry room door, right next to that corner. Both dogs looked at me, then at the ice cube. I gave them the command to go get it. They refused to move. I told them to fetch. They again looked at the ice cube, whimpered, then looked at me. The 3 of us stood there, for what seemed like forever, looking at the ice cube as if we had a spell cast on us. Me with my heart beating so fast I thought I might have a heart attack. The dogs were shivering and whimpering. Then my oldest daughter and her husband came through the front door and suddenly the spell was broken.

I took the dogs outside, when we came back inside they avoided the corner and that ice cube. They went back to the dining room to their beds.

I cleaned up the water from the ice the next morning. I'm always braver after the fact. I have never seen an ice cube that took so long to melt.

This wasn't the first time I had seen Shadow Man. He seems to lurk in that corner quite often. For the most part I just ignore him. Through the years (since moving into this house) one or another of my family members have seen shadow men. They seem relatively harmless, that's not to say it's not a little freaky to know one is watching you.

Other hauntings by yomomma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, yomomma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
Hi RedWolf- Thank you for reading my story. I don't think I've ever encountered the spirit of an animal. That is wild. And basements scare the hell out of me even without spirits, ha ha.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
yomomma,

I've never seen a shadow man. That being said there was a spirit in the basement that nobody noticed until I was in my mid to late teens. I think I noticed him first and he certainly wasn't the first spirit I've come across. But he was the first one to scare me because I knew he didn't like me. I have mentioned him in one of my stories. He never materialized, he was sneaky that way. Even after I got married and was out of that house I hated going into the basement when I was visiting.
I don't know how I would handle a shadow person. Although I stopped to pet one of my dogs in a dark hall only to discover that all of my dogs were in the living room. Then I realize that it was a dog that had passed away recently coming to visit.

Regards
Red
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Hi 27flowers - thanks for reading my story. When I changed my attitude about the things going on, it got better. I won't lie and say I'm 100% comfortable at staying home alone even now, even though most of the activity suddenly stopped in early 2011. I agree completely with your statement about the walls seeming to have ears. We've noticed a rise in activity since talking about the past stories. I have a few more stories from the past then I'll fill yall in on what's happening now.
27flowers (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
This gave me chills! Dogs are amazing animals, I'd be lost without mine. Thank god my dog and I haven't had any experiences like that in our home!
With regards to feeling like a "sitting duck" I have felt that way in a house I lived in a long time ago and it definitely wasn't a "home", I just couldn't relax and also did that thing where you don't talk to others about the stuff that happens in the house whilst you are IN the house if you know what I mean "the walls have ears"!
-27Flowers X
notadaddysgirl (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-14)
Hey Yomomma,

Another brilliant, yet chilling read. I do love it when I see you have an expreience to share. You are such a good writer and when I read your stories it is like I am there with you.

If you have not you should write a book with all these in.

Looking forward to more 😊
doomisforu (9 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
No problem, just remeber my warning if you do try to talk to it, it just might be some dead person, or something else just thought I should warn you just in case.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
Hi doomisforu- thanks for the comment. I have never tried to talk to him. I don't know what I would do if he talked back. However, creepy as it is I think he's just an observer.
doomisforu (9 posts)
-2
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
Now some people are telling you too try to talk to it. That can be dangers if it ends up not being friendly. Best to leave it alone. If it does not hurt you are bother you. It's easy for them to say talk to it, but if it goes wrong you will have to deal with it.
roylynx (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
yomomma, thank you for answering, senhora, if there is no harm, try to communicate with the shadow men, I have also heard people in my community says that sometimes it is just you guardian spirit/angel, they could be people from different time era.
Since both your dogs sensed them/him no doubt they are true I believe. Sometimes such spirits can be strangers, I believe you don't have to worry reading this stories.

Best luck from São Paulo

E.Lynx
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Hi Squeak_the_bat - Have you ever heard the phrase, "fake it until you make it"? Haha. Over the years I've done a lot of faking, ignoring and pretending just to get through a day or night. This is my home where I raised my children, lots of fun times and I don't plan to leave it any time soon.

Just so you know I wanted to take my dogs and run far away for a split second. Then I realized it was dark outside. 😆
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Hi Wish-Not - I'm glad you enjoy reading about my encounters. It's really not so bad once I changed my attitude about the things that happen. Sometimes I get a little uneasy but then I remind myself what my dad told me as a child. (I believe he experienced 'things' too although he very seldom talked about such.) He always said, I shouldn't worry about the spirits, it was the living that do harm.

That night what really freaked me out was my dogs' reactions. I've never seen them act so afraid. Then again it just confirmed to me that what I'm seeing is really there. Thanks for reading my story.
yomomma (11 stories) (81 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-08)
Hi roylynx - We have always seen shadow men in this house. The one I saw is usually in that corner although sometimes I've seen him in the dining room. How do I know it's the same one? It's the shape. He's very tall and slim. The one my youngest daughter sees in her room wears what looks like a wide brim hat. She's seen him many more times than I've seen the one in the kitchen.

You are correct cleansings don't seem to affect the shadow men. They just seem to stick with us. I've never read about the Gate of the Spirit World called Kimon. Thanks for the information.
Squeak_the_bat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
You seem to have handled that encounter a lot more calmly than I would have done. I would have been out of the house FAST. 😨
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
yomomma- I just love your accounts! Sorry that you are having to live with them but you tell them so well.

I hate it when the dogs have to live with that fear. But they "know" when something isn't right. Our Sophie had to put up with it for over five years. Bless her heart and your critters as well.

Great story yomomma!
roylynx (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-07)
Senhora! You seem to have so many encounters that I am a little envy lol
Does your house always have shadow men?
In my community, people believe that some lands are connected to the Gate of the Spirit World called Kimon. Not always bad in my opinion, but if it becomes problematic rearranging the furniture of house could help.
Also, if the house is located at the Kimon, normal cleansing would not work the best is live with it and pray for the spirits there so that they can protect you.

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: