You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Whaley House

Real Ghost Stories

Whaley House

 

Last Summer I was down in San Diego taking a class for my job. One night a couple of buddies of mine decided to do one of those Ghost Tours down in Old Town San Diego. Now I wasn't really expecting much out of it but I figured it would be interesting just for the history in itself.

The Tour started out with walking around Old town and continued to the First church in San Diego. The guide gave plenty of information on history as well as reported siting at that location. I didn't see anything there, but still all very interesting information.

The stop was the cemetery, that consisted of purely history, no known siting in that specific part of town.

Now I can't really remember the rest of places we walked by. The last stop of the tour was the Whaley house. This was the only tour in town in which you could actually go in and tour the house. The house was Originally a the County Courthouse in which they held public hangings on the ground the most famous being Yankee Jim. The House was a later bought by the Whaley family the house in 1855.

While we where in the house a bunch of us where crowded around the candle lit Dinning room table. The Candle was one of the old oil ones that was kept lit by kerosine that to put out you lower the wick. With no wind or anything in the room the Wick dropped and went out. No one had touched it to lower it as well. After that we had gone towards the living room where about Yankee Jim was hung before the extension to the property after the Whaley family bought it. After the inside of the Tour was done we had gone out back and listened to some other sitings from the house. There is actually a police report on the property about a crying women was sitting on some old stairs in period dress, when the cops got up to her she just disappeared.

With everyone on the tour out side and the building all locked up. I began taking pictures through the windows inside the house using my phone. The pictures I had taken where a burst so it took about 40 or so pictures. Later the next day I was looking at the pictures on my phone something had caught my eye in the last few pictures so I zoomed it in. Once zoomed in I saw what I believe to be an apparition of a man in period dress.

Whaley House 1

Whaley House 2

Whaley House 3

 

There was no one leading the tour or on the tour that was dressed in this manner. And I will be including a picture of the apparition.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bspilker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bspilker (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
thank you guys for reading my story. What I am looking at is more towards the center of the photo looks just on the left side of the middle of the Window. But that is what it appears to me.
RedBlackRosemama (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-05)
I enjoy read your stories. I heard about Whaley house in google & such. But I am sorry that I only see is dark and look like window like lace curtains or something so again sorry.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-04)
I did the Whaley house when I lived in San Diego. Some of us saw Mr. Whaley standing and leaning against the door frame listening to his families story being told. I also saw him walking down the stairs. I know it was him because he was dressed up nicely with a hat. I went to go see him (thinking it was another man) and couldn't find him. The kitchen door squeaks real loudly and there was an empty bedroom so I know it had to have been him. Also upstairs in the theater room, another person started pressing down on my shoulder. Only my left one. Earlier the tour lady said that the man that lives there gets jealous of other men being with attractive females and a little after she said that, I felt a hand on my shoulder pressing down. I love that house!
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Hi, I need to say that tours like this usually have actors. It's to freak people out and generate more visitors, I even knew a person that was an actor in one of these tours in Edinburgh once.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Hi Blspiker

Thanks for sharing and posting your photos.

The wick falling over and going out could be because of a number of reasons. I think it's important to try and rule out every other possibility before leaping to a "it was a ghost!" conclusion. I realise the ghost conclusion is exciting and interesting and thrilling, as opposed to mundane explanations, but nevertheless, we need to approach with calm, rational caution.

I personally can't see anything in the photos other than a distant window, perhaps stain-glass or covered in curtains and a perpendicular pole / beam in the foreground? Are you able to describe exactly what and where you are seeing the figure?

The photos are obviously very grainy, and dark and it could be a case of "the man in the moon" phenomena (that's actually not a real phenomena by the way, I just made that up) where by our brains "see" a face in the moon. With such a dark, murky, grainy picture, all you need is a pretty good imagination and you'll see anything from a ghostly figure, to Donald Trump dressed in a tutu performing Swan Lake etc etc...

Not to say there's nothing there of course. I could be wrong.

Regards

Mack
DirtCreature (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
I remember when we went to the Whaley House when I was a child in California. That place is one of the famous ones in California for being haunted. At the time I don't remember experiencing anything but maybe you did.:)
TheSkeptic (21 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Could be a publicity stunt where they have actors dressed like that hiding to photo bomb. Not a bad idea to generate visitors in my opinion.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: