You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Are You Still Awake?

Real Ghost Stories

Are You Still Awake?

 

So, after I posted my first story, I told my brother a little more about this site and its purpose. After hearing about the generally positive and encouraging comments on my other story, he requested I tell one of his many experiences. He's hoping that the members here can shine some light on an experience that occurred almost five years ago, yet to this day still perplexes and discomfits him.

Now, in case you haven't read my other story, I feel I should include that my brother is highly sensitive to spirits. Along with myself, we are the only people in our family so far with the ability to see the deceased; however, my brother seems to attract more harmful spirits than myself. Our mother can communicate with the deceased through photos, but has never actually seen a spirit. Lastly, our father has occasional contact with spirits, but they are brief and sporadic. My three other siblings have not indicated being sensitive, and in fact are very scared of the paranormal, despite never having claimed to see anything strange.

Around five years ago, my family and I lived in Georgia. We were renting a cute little three bedroom, two bath apartment, though it was not necessarily in the best part of town, if you catch my drift. It wasn't 'sketchy' or 'ghetto', exactly, just a little bit on the 'lock your car door or whatever gets stolen is your own fault' side. Anyway, my father was a truck driver, and he spent more time than not out of state. Therefore, it was usually just my mother, my siblings, myself, and occasionally, my Aunt.

Since it was five years ago, I'm afraid I don't remember the exact layout of the house; however, since all of the activity takes place in my brother's bedroom, hopefully it won't be necessary. At the time, both of my brothers shared the room. It was small and carpeted, and they had a rather large rug with a city depicted on it. In other words, an average little boy's rug.

The room was square shaped, so when you looked in there were no hidden areas or crannies, barring the closet. After the first step in, directly to your right was a bunk bed. The bunk bed was pressed in a corner, with one side and one end completely against the wall. Straight ahead was a large window taking up a considerable chunk of the wall, and to your left was the closet and a toybox. Again, the room was small, so the space between the bunk bed and the window was only a yard and a half at best. The closet was closer to the wall with the window, and the way my brother slept had his eyesight nearly parallel with the door.

The way my brother describes the activity is like so:

In the early hours of the morning, usually between 3am-4am, he would be awoken by a voice asking him, "Are you still awake?", and a tapping on his back. When I asked him to describe the tapping, he proceeded to give me a few firm pats on the back with his full hand. He said that it felt like a large masculine hand when it happened, and that rather than a few fingers, he could feel the entirety of the entity's hand against his back. When asked about the voice, he described it simply as 'an extremely deep male voice'.

He says that this happened every night that we lived in that apartment and he could feel the entity standing before him when it would ask its question. And it was always the same question, in the same voice. He also claims that the tapping never changed as well, always at the same consistency. But no matter how quickly he awoke, or how he responded, he had never once seen the entity, or heard it say anything beyond it's initial question. Now we get to the truly bizarre parts of his experiences.

After being awoken by the voice, he would sit up, only to be greeted by different entities. He says that he instinctively knew that they were different from the entity that woke him up. He describes them as having a 'scrawny but fit' male body type, with short tattered brown loincloths, and coarse black hair that ended just shy of their shoulders. He says that their faces were humanoid, but their teeth were extremely sharp, and their eyes were a bright amber color. One of the entities had red skin, the other had blue skin, and they both had black stripes. He says that it looked as if it was paint, like they had dipped themselves in it. However, the most bizarre feature by far has to be the tails. He says that both individuals had tails resembling that of a monkey.

He had been staring, shocked and understandably scared, when a loud bang erupted from his closet, which was where they were residing. He says that he had closed his eyes and flinched when the bang happened, and when he opened them they were gone with the faint sound of footsteps. He stood up the entire night, not sleeping until daylight came. He never saw them again, but he still remembers them clearly from that night.

On another night, he was again awoken by the voice. As usual, it asks him its question and is gone by the time he awakes. However, this time when he rouses himself, he sees the shadowed silhouette of what seems to be a human figure. He says that he couldn't tell the gender of the figure, only that it was tall and seemed to be a 'personified shadow'. The figure just stood in front of the bedroom window, and after a few moments of staring at it, the strange figure simply walked out of the room.

This went on for the five months that we lived in that apartment. There are many more stories he holds from those five months, however it would take too much time and space to sit down and record them all.

Every night he claims to have seen a different entity, with the only consistency being the male voice in the beginning. The moment we moved out however, all the activity ceased, and he says that he hasn't seen any of them since. He's still unsure of what exactly it was that he experienced in that bedroom, and hopes that this site can help. What exactly did my brother see? And what was happening in that room?

Thanks for reading, and please don't be afraid to put theories or ideas in the comments.

Other hauntings by WintersAzazel

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WintersAzazel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WintersAzazel (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-06)
Biblio -

I am very sorry for this late response! The entire family's been out of commission for the past few days with some sort of nasty cold virus/sinus infection that we still haven't managed to completely shake off.

While the move was definitely rushed, I wouldn't say it was too bad. We managed to get all we needed moved in an appropriate amount of time, and that's all we needed! Though, due to problems it seems as if we might be moving again soon, and I am certainly not looking forward to all that PACKING! Also, I must express the awe I feel towards the thought of that many books! I myself love them to death, though I tend to read them digitally more often than not; more room and less expenses, which is always a plus.

Also, yes, I did actually! He admits to not being totally sure if that's it, but says that it's definitely plausible. The voice never scared him, and it did wake him only moments before he saw the other entities, so it's certainly a valid suggestion. He's a little bummed that he'll never know, considering he hasn't seen any of them since then. But I know that he's also grateful for all the feedback and ideas shared. 😊
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-01)
Welcome back, Azazel!

You're most welcome; while I don't think that anyone else on here intended you any offense, I thought that using your responses as examples of polite behavior would be to everyone's advantage. I've misread innocent comments in the past, and (as Miracles is well aware!) I've posted statements that have been unclear or have led to unnecessary offense...

I do hope your move was uncomplicated; I've moved about 15 times in 40 years, with the processes ranging from tranquil to disastrous. Hell, we bought a house in July, moved in in August, and I just spent about 2 hours unpacking **more**books on November 1st...

Did you have a chance to discuss the "gatekeeper/guardian" idea with your brother? I was just curious to get his take on the idea.

Glad you're back.

Best,
Biblio.
WintersAzazel (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-01)
Oh, my. It seems like I missed a bit while I was away, eh?

First off, thank you very much for your kind words Biblio! And thanks to everyone else that enjoyed the read 😁

I would like to apologize for my long absence, as it was due to personal reasons (one of which being a move). I seem to have forgotten if there were any other questions left unanswered in the comments, so if that is so, please feel free to ask them again, and I'll do my best to answer them! Thanks, and have a glorious day everyone!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
Indeed you are correct, Rook.

Subject-verb disagreement, pronoun-antecedent disagreement, and run-on sentences are rife on the internet. Unfortunately, truncated idioms, mixed metaphors, jargon, initialisms, and punctuation errors compound the complications which arise when a writer makes errors in otherwise clearly-articulated sentences that comprise an emotionally-fraught narrative. (Honestly, who on YGS has not hit "Publish" on a comment, only to discover a typographical blunder the moment it is beyond retrieval?)

Here, on a discussion forum focused upon narratives of paranormal experience, we read tales of peculiar events which range from the amusing to the harrowing. There must be leeway for the individual writers to submit their stories in English (irrespective of their native languages, regional idioms, and stress levels) without losing what teachers call their "narrative voice."

It is of the utmost significance, however, to note that the alleged "rules" of written grammar for English became codified over time to prevent miscommunication. Many of these rules were taken from Latin and applied to English sentences, despite the lack of a cogent justification for asserting that said rules were beneficial to the English language. For example, when confronted with repeated defiance of the "rule" that sentences must not end in prepositions (because in Latin, that would be a sentence fragment), Winston Churchill apocryphally commented, "This is something up with which I will not put!" He moved the preposition to the "grammatically correct" location while deliberately sounding ridiculous to anyone who speaks English.

The rules of grammar have changed over time, according to vernacular use. Shakespeare's double-negative statements were intended to *intensify* the negative reaction of the character to the topic of discussion; now, a double negative is considered tautological reasoning and indicative of the speaker's telling an implausible untruth.

WintersAzazel and I had a fairly lengthy exchange on her other fascinating narrative because I had the single most intense post-cognitive experience of my life as I read it. Not only impressions of the events, but also sounds, physical sensations, empathic details, etc. She is by no means an uneducated individual; she is a fairly young writer who was trying to come to terms with bizarre experiences in her life. In her effort to cram details into each story, she has made a few grammatical errors. Some of her sentences benefit from the explanations she gives in response to individual commenters who seeks clarification of her phrasing. You'll note that she addresses a short paragraph or two to each writer in her responses, even crediting OCGirl with supplying the accurate clarification. Few contributors respond so freely to questioning without resorting to defensive unpleasantness.

The purpose of language is to communicate; errors and misunderstandings may be resolved clearly and effectively without being rude. In that regard, I strongly suspect that WintersAzazel has more to teach those who would claim erudition than vice versa.

Best, as always, gentle colleagues and kind compatriots,
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
Rook, yes you most definitely are splitting hairs, and so am I. Noticed the same sentence, found it amusing and so on. 😉
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
Go Granny Go!

Oh and I have a question for Biblio concerning ImBossy's statement. Or at least part of it...

Shouldn't it read...

'HOWEVER, when indulging in forums that do not utilize an editor prior to publication, the probability of error IS great.'

And not how they stated it...

"HOWEVER, when indulging in forums that do not utilize an editor prior to publication, the probability of error are great."

Or am I splitting 'hairs'?

All this over a thread that was last spoken about 3 months ago...hummm...

October Trolls anyone? Anyone? 😲

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
ImBossy: Back the h*ll up sweetheart. Every story printed here passes by an editor. However, if a submission is lacking from the start we have no obligation to you or anyone else to edit every word in it.

It's great that you are so smart, but please, walk in others' shoes before criticizing.
ImBossy (1 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
First I find it pressing to address the comment left by alexandrapr369. Please do not take this out of context, but I find your reply rather rude. I am a natural 'editor.' I exercise my built in spell check with EVERY article I read, and I am a big fan of the grammatically correct, so believe me when I say that I notice the mistakes in this post that render it less than reader friendly. HOWEVER, when indulging in forums that do not utilize an editor prior to publication, the probability of error are great. Not everyone has had the benefit of higher education, and some are not mentally capable of retaining or even absorbing the knowledge if exposed to it. I'm clearly intellectual and it was obvious to me that the implication was: No, he never saw the entity who asked if he was awake, but yes he saw separate entities nearly every night. There is a proper way to request clarification; ways that do not involve making someone feel like shiat because they did not excel in English studies. Just sayin.

To winter Azazel:
Hey honey, interesting account. Very creepy! I once felt and smelled breath on my face while asleep, and that was the single most chilling experience I've had! I must agree with everyone above that guessed gate keeper. Sounded as if that was his way of giving your brother a heads up. Glad that's over!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-06)
WintersAzazel, interesting. Thanks for sharing your brother's experience. I sleep with earplugs, and one of the reasons is to block out those random noises and voices when I'm trying to sleep. It does a fantastic job. If it gets to be too much, he might consider this option.
WintersAzazel (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-29)
lady-glow -

Whoops! I missed one! As for whether or not the spirits had ever attempted communication, as far as I'm aware he did hear the two monkey-tail entities speaking, but it seemed to be with each other rather than him. And it wasn't for a long period of time. I'll ask him for further clarification/confirmation, and if he has anything to add/debunk I'll post it here. Thanks for your questions and interest!
WintersAzazel (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-29)
Hi all! I'm so sorry for this late response, as I didn't know I story was up yet. I'm guessing that the notification must have gotten lost in the mail...

First, let me answer what seems to be the most common question. OCGirl was correct. What I meant when I said, 'he has never seen the entity', was that he had never seen the entity that awoke him with the question,"Are you awake?". He did however, see many other entities afterward, ones which he says are not the same as the one that wakes him up. I'm sorry for any confusion that has caused, and please feel free to ask me any more questions that will help you in any way get a better handle on what I mean and what was happening. 😁

Biblio -

That is a very interesting theory. I have heard about gatekeeper/guardian spirits from other stories, but I must admit I don't know much about them. But it sounds fairly plausible, and the fact is that my brother has never once stated that the question-asking entity made him feel unsafe or scared, so it seems like a very good idea.

Lady-glow -

Hi! I'm so sorry for the confusion. If you have an questions you would like to ask to clear this up, I would be more than happy to answer them. As for my brother, unfortunately, he's a teenage boy, and getting him to actually sit down and make an account for a site like this (no offense intended, I simply mean a site where the main focus is on reading and replying to stories, as he is dyslexic and hates to read which is one of the reason's he had me write the story instead of him) will be like pulling teeth. On both ends. However, any questions you ask I will relay to him. I hope that's satisfactory.

As for if the spirits were harmful, I should have mentioned this in the story (I have no idea why I didn't, as it would have only helped) but my brother has stated on more than one occasion when asked that the spirits, 'wanted to kill him'. I have asked him many times before posting this story, but that is the answer he has stuck to steadfastly. As far as I know, the spirit's have never tried to grab my parents attention, and I am uncertain as to whether they have tried to grab mine. I want to say that I did see something, but at the same time the recollection is vague at best and certainly not clear enough to use as evidence. I hope that cleared some things up!
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
I was under the impression that the brother never saw the entity who would wake him but saw the other ones that showed up shortly after. I have to agree with Bibliothecarius, I feel it may have been a gatekeeper/guardian so to speak.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
I have to agree with Alexandra, your narrative is not clear in the part where your brother had never seen the entity and few lines below "..., he would sit up, only to be greeted by different entities..." 😕

Do you think your brother would mind to join the forum and tell his own stories?

It seems to me that none of the spirits in this particular story were evil or harmful, did any of them ever try to get your or any of your parents' attention?

As long and well narrated as your story is, it lacks enough information as for anyone to say what your brother saw or what was going on in that room.
It is not clear to me if any of the spirits ever tried to communicate with your brother or if they just showed their selves without further purpose.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
Greetings, Azazel.

Strange though this may sound (given your narratives to date, I grant that it's not very strange), sometimes spirits which linger in a place are guardians or caretakers.

I have no idea what had occurred in your brothers' room to make this entity employ your brother's gifts with such regularity, but the idea that multiple entities & spirits were drawn to his gift through their desire to communicate suggests that something traumatic occurred in that location, possibly to the guardian entity.

If multiple spirits were visiting that home, then the guardian may have been permitting them to visit your brother in limited numbers to prevent their overwhelming him. His waking your brother with the same careful routine each time would prevent his waking to suddenly discover god-knows-what lurking in the bedroom; he'd been given a brief moment to brace himself for the other spirit/spirits who needed to be seen. Perhaps this guardian was not capable of preventing everyone/everything from visiting your brother in his sleep, but he does seem to have tried to limit the damage and to have let your brother know what was happening. It was not a nice experience, granted, but it seems to have been a well-intentioned one.

Best,
Biblio.
alexandrapr369 (2 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-28)
You first say that when he awakes he never sees the entity but later you say that every night he say a different entity; which is true?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: